floydian0777
Sep 12, 02:16 PM
where did the student pricing go? i guess there was an overall drop, but I was hoping to use my discount one more time before graduating
dvdhsu
Nov 17, 06:27 PM
Boom:
http://twitter.com/kickingbear/status/5803909520
To quote:
"Good question raised by Guy English: Why is it OK for the new Star Wars: Trench Run iPhone game to include this image of an iPhone, when many other apps, like for example Instapaper, have been rejected for including original icon artwork that merely resembles an iPhone?"
Boom. So what now apologists?
w00master
Because the iPhone doesn't have a copyright.
http://twitter.com/kickingbear/status/5803909520
To quote:
"Good question raised by Guy English: Why is it OK for the new Star Wars: Trench Run iPhone game to include this image of an iPhone, when many other apps, like for example Instapaper, have been rejected for including original icon artwork that merely resembles an iPhone?"
Boom. So what now apologists?
w00master
Because the iPhone doesn't have a copyright.
samiwas
Apr 18, 03:52 PM
The very fact that people think they "deserve" vacation days is mind-boggling. Why should you "Deserve" to get paid a single dime you did not earn?
I work about 60% self-employed free lance, and 40% at my old "day job". Guess what. Neither one offers me "vacation days". Am I miserable? Hardly!
If I want a vacation day, I simply do not work. That also means I do not get paid. It would seem mighty pretentious of me to be expect pay for work not done.
If you want a job with more vacation days, FIND ONE! no one owes you a darn thing, certainly not pay for days off.
The very fact that employers think that employees "should" work even one minute more than what they are paid to is mind-boggling. Why should they "expect" that the employee will give his time willingly for no extra?
If they want the project manager to work past 5pm, they simply must pay. if they need him to come in on Saturday to work on that new addition to the project, they must pay. It would seem mighty pretentious of them to expect to not pay for work done.
If they want employees to work non-stop, PAY FOR IT. No one owes their employer a darn thing except exactly what is required in the job during the hours agreed upon.
See how that works?
edit: funny that the US is pretty much the ONLY developed country on earth where benefits are seen as egregious handouts if you are a typical rank and file worker. But, we're #1, right?
I work about 60% self-employed free lance, and 40% at my old "day job". Guess what. Neither one offers me "vacation days". Am I miserable? Hardly!
If I want a vacation day, I simply do not work. That also means I do not get paid. It would seem mighty pretentious of me to be expect pay for work not done.
If you want a job with more vacation days, FIND ONE! no one owes you a darn thing, certainly not pay for days off.
The very fact that employers think that employees "should" work even one minute more than what they are paid to is mind-boggling. Why should they "expect" that the employee will give his time willingly for no extra?
If they want the project manager to work past 5pm, they simply must pay. if they need him to come in on Saturday to work on that new addition to the project, they must pay. It would seem mighty pretentious of them to expect to not pay for work done.
If they want employees to work non-stop, PAY FOR IT. No one owes their employer a darn thing except exactly what is required in the job during the hours agreed upon.
See how that works?
edit: funny that the US is pretty much the ONLY developed country on earth where benefits are seen as egregious handouts if you are a typical rank and file worker. But, we're #1, right?
Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 14, 09:07 AM
May be Apple will give a silent upgrade to MBP before the special event just like they did with Mini and iMac before "Its Showtime"!
What say?
Perhaps, but the big question is:
What is Apple releasing at Photokina?
Aperture 2.0 - too little
ACD - recently updated
MBP/MB - at a Photo conference??? hardly.
iPhone - again at photo conference??
I dont have clue...
What say?
Perhaps, but the big question is:
What is Apple releasing at Photokina?
Aperture 2.0 - too little
ACD - recently updated
MBP/MB - at a Photo conference??? hardly.
iPhone - again at photo conference??
I dont have clue...
Vegasman
Mar 30, 01:04 PM
After a bit of thought I think I'm siding with Apple... here's why:
The strongest argument I've read against the trademark is that 'App Store' is describing the very thing it actually is. Someone likened this to renaming 'Windows' to 'Operating System'.
However what isn't appreciated is that 'App' is in itself an abbreviation. It's debatable whether apple popularised it not but thats not the point. Basically it would be like renaming 'Windows' to 'Ope System'.
I'd argue that 'Ope System' could be trademarked whereas 'Operating System' couldn't...
Nice try. But "app" and "application" have been synonymous for more than a decade. They have always been used interchangeably. "Ope System" and "Operating System" have not been used interchangeably.
2005: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-k...or-real-estate
2004: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1599324,00.asp
2003: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1191830,00.asp
The strongest argument I've read against the trademark is that 'App Store' is describing the very thing it actually is. Someone likened this to renaming 'Windows' to 'Operating System'.
However what isn't appreciated is that 'App' is in itself an abbreviation. It's debatable whether apple popularised it not but thats not the point. Basically it would be like renaming 'Windows' to 'Ope System'.
I'd argue that 'Ope System' could be trademarked whereas 'Operating System' couldn't...
Nice try. But "app" and "application" have been synonymous for more than a decade. They have always been used interchangeably. "Ope System" and "Operating System" have not been used interchangeably.
2005: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-k...or-real-estate
2004: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1599324,00.asp
2003: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1191830,00.asp
FFTT
Sep 10, 05:12 AM
If my memory serves me correctly Conroe will not be pin compatible with Merom, is that right? I just can't remember what's what anymore. Old age.
Multimedia
Sep 11, 09:04 PM
I agree - this is really something. As has been noted, it's just huge the increase in a short amount of time - the original Core release was only a short while back, then Core 2 Duo - which just made it into the iMacs - and now the Core 2 Quad release date of Mid-October! The pace is just astounding.
Not only that, but as Arn and others note, the Quad Xeons are on the way as well. So, there is the path for 8 core Mac Pros in the very near future.
Quad core iMacs, 8 core PMs (opps, I mean Mac Pros) - oh my.
This amazing chip release rate - and significant increases each - will really put Apple to the test in terms of updating products quickly to stay competitive in terms of hardware release. In the past, Apple had to deal with chip upgrades so infrequently. It's a great problem to have, I suppose.
I also echo the comments above re: isn't this the kind of thing that makes you glad Apple switched to Intel? Absolutely.Thank you. Over on page 13 of the September 12th Event Predictions (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2821628&postcount=302) string they are insulting me as insane and that this is no biggie. :eek:
I think they've all gone Movie Store iPod Nano crazy. If I had just pulled the trigger on an iMac or a Mac Pro I think I would be a little sick to hear this news. I guess we can speculate Apple could be late to the C2Q systems party. But I agree with you they really need to be on time given we all know the C2Q processor is out there.
I think what we're seeing is a flood of new generation processors hitting the streets in rapid fire succession that won't always be quite as often in future.
Not only that, but as Arn and others note, the Quad Xeons are on the way as well. So, there is the path for 8 core Mac Pros in the very near future.
Quad core iMacs, 8 core PMs (opps, I mean Mac Pros) - oh my.
This amazing chip release rate - and significant increases each - will really put Apple to the test in terms of updating products quickly to stay competitive in terms of hardware release. In the past, Apple had to deal with chip upgrades so infrequently. It's a great problem to have, I suppose.
I also echo the comments above re: isn't this the kind of thing that makes you glad Apple switched to Intel? Absolutely.Thank you. Over on page 13 of the September 12th Event Predictions (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2821628&postcount=302) string they are insulting me as insane and that this is no biggie. :eek:
I think they've all gone Movie Store iPod Nano crazy. If I had just pulled the trigger on an iMac or a Mac Pro I think I would be a little sick to hear this news. I guess we can speculate Apple could be late to the C2Q systems party. But I agree with you they really need to be on time given we all know the C2Q processor is out there.
I think what we're seeing is a flood of new generation processors hitting the streets in rapid fire succession that won't always be quite as often in future.
Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 14, 11:08 AM
OK, I'm new to Macs, and so I've never made a What's-Steve-gonna-do-next prediction before, but you guys are having too much fun; so I'm gonna give it a try!
I think Apple set a precedent with the release of the C2D IMacs. It was a quiet release, and Steve didn't even mention them at Tuesday's presentation. I don't see why he would do anything different with the MBP's, unless Apple is releasing a drastically new model of the MBP, which I doubt since they have not even been out a year. So, if we get C2D MBP around this event, it will be next Tues or Wed, and it will be a semi-quiet release, just like the IMacs.
I do think we'll see new cinema displays. Apple recently dropped the price of the current models and "updated" the specs, but I'm not convinced that there was actually any change in the hardware. There is no standardization to the monitor specs, so there's probably quite a bit of freedom that can be taken into assigning the different numbers. I called Apple store a few weeks ago to ask them about the new specs, and the guy didn't even know they had changed! I think the recent price drop signals an upgrade in the near future, and what better forum than a photography convention?
Of course, I also think Aperture 2 will be there as well. I would also guess at new ISight cameras. The old ones are definitely starting to show their age, especially for the price.
So to sum up:
1. Possible quiet release of C2D MBP next week.
2. Aperture 2, ISight camera, and new displays on the 24th.
Just my thoughts.
That was fun!
so new and yet so insightful... I dont know about the displays, but the rest sounds resonable to me at least. :)
I think Apple set a precedent with the release of the C2D IMacs. It was a quiet release, and Steve didn't even mention them at Tuesday's presentation. I don't see why he would do anything different with the MBP's, unless Apple is releasing a drastically new model of the MBP, which I doubt since they have not even been out a year. So, if we get C2D MBP around this event, it will be next Tues or Wed, and it will be a semi-quiet release, just like the IMacs.
I do think we'll see new cinema displays. Apple recently dropped the price of the current models and "updated" the specs, but I'm not convinced that there was actually any change in the hardware. There is no standardization to the monitor specs, so there's probably quite a bit of freedom that can be taken into assigning the different numbers. I called Apple store a few weeks ago to ask them about the new specs, and the guy didn't even know they had changed! I think the recent price drop signals an upgrade in the near future, and what better forum than a photography convention?
Of course, I also think Aperture 2 will be there as well. I would also guess at new ISight cameras. The old ones are definitely starting to show their age, especially for the price.
So to sum up:
1. Possible quiet release of C2D MBP next week.
2. Aperture 2, ISight camera, and new displays on the 24th.
Just my thoughts.
That was fun!
so new and yet so insightful... I dont know about the displays, but the rest sounds resonable to me at least. :)
enklined
Mar 23, 05:34 PM
Isn't it possible that the heads up provided up this app (and friends, newspapers, etc) may make people who know they will be drinking later in the evening re-think their mode of transportation? Could be saving a life or two.
Eh not really. If you've been drinking. Don't drive. Not a difficult dilemma to solve. No technology required to solve it.
And if you are planning to go out and get hammered, take a taxi.
I agree, no one could argue against that. However, for the guy who thinks he may be sober enough to drive: he checks his phone and gets discouraged by the local check points and decides to hail a cab.
Seems like a very decent possibility of this happening. Could save a life, or many. For that alone, the app shouldn't be pulled.
Eh not really. If you've been drinking. Don't drive. Not a difficult dilemma to solve. No technology required to solve it.
And if you are planning to go out and get hammered, take a taxi.
I agree, no one could argue against that. However, for the guy who thinks he may be sober enough to drive: he checks his phone and gets discouraged by the local check points and decides to hail a cab.
Seems like a very decent possibility of this happening. Could save a life, or many. For that alone, the app shouldn't be pulled.
HarryKeogh
Mar 23, 04:34 PM
This is ridiculous. I drive better when I'm drunk.
yg17
Sep 26, 04:48 PM
What phone you have? The newer quad band phones get great service in and out of urban areas using Cingular.
I had a Motorola v551 (also a piece of shite, matched the Cingular service quite well). That thing broke (one of the 2 things a Motorola phone is capable of doing, the other one is looking pretty. Because they certainly don't work) and I got a Sony w810i unlocked from eBay. It's a quadband, and the Cingular service still sucks. My parents have LG phones on Cingular, their service sucks. My sister has T-Mobile and couldn't be happier. We're headed over there when the contract's up
I had a Motorola v551 (also a piece of shite, matched the Cingular service quite well). That thing broke (one of the 2 things a Motorola phone is capable of doing, the other one is looking pretty. Because they certainly don't work) and I got a Sony w810i unlocked from eBay. It's a quadband, and the Cingular service still sucks. My parents have LG phones on Cingular, their service sucks. My sister has T-Mobile and couldn't be happier. We're headed over there when the contract's up
sth
Apr 30, 04:23 PM
Curious that everyone is clamoring for a thunderbolt-enabled machine, but there isn't a single thunderbolt drive available on the market.
I guess some people just need to feel like they have new stuff even if it's totally pointless.
Most people keep their machines for at least a couple of years, so it makes sense to have TB built in. Many companies have announced that they are looking into TB, and not just for external storage. The possibilities of TB are much broader than that. Think of it as having PCIe on a cable. You could, for example, give your iMac USB3 support if a company decides to build an USB3 host with a Thunderbolt port. Same for eSATA etc...
Of course not much can be done right now, but you have to start somewhere to overcome the chicken/egg-problem.
We'll probably see broader support for TB when PCs based on Ivy Bridge are hitting the market next year (Intel has said to include TB support directly in the chipset). At that time, most of the people waiting here will still be using their mid-2011 iMacs for quite a few years to come.
Besides abolishing the ability of your graphics card, there are other interesting features of the processor. The hardware giant has confirmed that Sandy Bridge was designed with an integrated content protection to prevent piracy of high-end digital quality.
Just because the hardware supports it, it doesn't mean the software has to use it, especially in Apple's case. They even had seperate TPM chips built into the first Intel Macs and never actually used them for anything.
1- Matte screen option (Isn't there an aftermarket for this?)
No, there isn't. Putting an anti-glare film on a glass panel is NOT the same as a matte screen.
That's why I keep saying look for a redesign this Fall, just before or just after Lion is released.
What sense would it make for Apple to update the iMac twice in such a rapid succession? If anything, Apple's hardware cycles are getting even longer, mostly around 10-12 months in recent years. And at least from Intel, there will be nothing new to put into these machines by that date.
Lion is going to be released about a month after the new iMac, so if the redesign somehow really coincides with the release, it will probably happen right now.
Please keep USB 2.0 and Firewire for a couple more years.....
I don't think you have to worry about that for a long time.
In addition, we'll probably even get native USB3 in next year's models.
What's the deal with people wanting the matte version? Anyone care to explain the reasoning behind it to a noob like myself? Thanks in advance
If you have a window behind you or bad ceiling lights, the glass screen is almost unusable because of the reflections.
Matte screens do not have this problem because they diffuse the light.
I guess some people just need to feel like they have new stuff even if it's totally pointless.
Most people keep their machines for at least a couple of years, so it makes sense to have TB built in. Many companies have announced that they are looking into TB, and not just for external storage. The possibilities of TB are much broader than that. Think of it as having PCIe on a cable. You could, for example, give your iMac USB3 support if a company decides to build an USB3 host with a Thunderbolt port. Same for eSATA etc...
Of course not much can be done right now, but you have to start somewhere to overcome the chicken/egg-problem.
We'll probably see broader support for TB when PCs based on Ivy Bridge are hitting the market next year (Intel has said to include TB support directly in the chipset). At that time, most of the people waiting here will still be using their mid-2011 iMacs for quite a few years to come.
Besides abolishing the ability of your graphics card, there are other interesting features of the processor. The hardware giant has confirmed that Sandy Bridge was designed with an integrated content protection to prevent piracy of high-end digital quality.
Just because the hardware supports it, it doesn't mean the software has to use it, especially in Apple's case. They even had seperate TPM chips built into the first Intel Macs and never actually used them for anything.
1- Matte screen option (Isn't there an aftermarket for this?)
No, there isn't. Putting an anti-glare film on a glass panel is NOT the same as a matte screen.
That's why I keep saying look for a redesign this Fall, just before or just after Lion is released.
What sense would it make for Apple to update the iMac twice in such a rapid succession? If anything, Apple's hardware cycles are getting even longer, mostly around 10-12 months in recent years. And at least from Intel, there will be nothing new to put into these machines by that date.
Lion is going to be released about a month after the new iMac, so if the redesign somehow really coincides with the release, it will probably happen right now.
Please keep USB 2.0 and Firewire for a couple more years.....
I don't think you have to worry about that for a long time.
In addition, we'll probably even get native USB3 in next year's models.
What's the deal with people wanting the matte version? Anyone care to explain the reasoning behind it to a noob like myself? Thanks in advance
If you have a window behind you or bad ceiling lights, the glass screen is almost unusable because of the reflections.
Matte screens do not have this problem because they diffuse the light.
Silentwave
Jul 16, 04:09 AM
I got do a firmware upgrade and get on that X2 sales action. I just hope it will be fairly priced like the non X2's.
Opps forgot to post the cnet review. http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_XPS_700_Intel_Core_2_Extreme_X6800/4505-3118_7-31972975.html?tag=cnetfd.sd
Hrm...I don't trust cnet: looking at their comparisons I was struck by the XPS 700 with the X6800 being so much faster than the intel board testbed for the X6800. Then I saw what was going on....they skewed the results by using only half the RAM in the X6800.
Of course considering how it performed despite this, i'm very glad we're using intel core :D
Opps forgot to post the cnet review. http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_XPS_700_Intel_Core_2_Extreme_X6800/4505-3118_7-31972975.html?tag=cnetfd.sd
Hrm...I don't trust cnet: looking at their comparisons I was struck by the XPS 700 with the X6800 being so much faster than the intel board testbed for the X6800. Then I saw what was going on....they skewed the results by using only half the RAM in the X6800.
Of course considering how it performed despite this, i'm very glad we're using intel core :D
zango
Apr 25, 02:01 PM
Didn't Apple recently hire someone that deals with carbon-fibre? Guessing might have something to do with that...
rdowns
Apr 25, 08:57 AM
I was going to ask what the D stands for but I guess that's kind of obvious.
AppleScruff1
Apr 28, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty certain Apple knew this day was coming.
Are you sure?
Are you sure?
digitalbiker
Aug 29, 12:36 AM
To get a new design and enclosure is always nice. Apple has been doing amazing designs in the past years. For sure new enclosures will look nice.
The thing is, at this time after the whole Intel transition, all the current enclosures stayed the same (except few changes on Macbook). So, I would not expect anything different anytime soon. I think the current look is great in all Apple hardware line up.
I don't know. I think the latest MBP was rushed to market a bit. I think Apple just wanted to get to intel and really ddn't think about design.
The current PB look has been around since 2001. I think the alumin look is starting to look soooo 2000. Were heading toward time to move on with a new chip and a new look.
Personally I prefer plastic to metal. Metal shows way too many scratches, finger prints, smudges, etc. The smooth shiny plastic look is much better and it is more durable. The metal enclosures dent, bend and break. They also transmit the heat faster to your lap and interfere with BT and Airport. The plastic enclosures give and spring back like new.
Gun Metal ABS plastic with rounded smooth corners, new keyboard, quick access ram, HD, and battery, magnetic latch, sound like the future to me.:D
The thing is, at this time after the whole Intel transition, all the current enclosures stayed the same (except few changes on Macbook). So, I would not expect anything different anytime soon. I think the current look is great in all Apple hardware line up.
I don't know. I think the latest MBP was rushed to market a bit. I think Apple just wanted to get to intel and really ddn't think about design.
The current PB look has been around since 2001. I think the alumin look is starting to look soooo 2000. Were heading toward time to move on with a new chip and a new look.
Personally I prefer plastic to metal. Metal shows way too many scratches, finger prints, smudges, etc. The smooth shiny plastic look is much better and it is more durable. The metal enclosures dent, bend and break. They also transmit the heat faster to your lap and interfere with BT and Airport. The plastic enclosures give and spring back like new.
Gun Metal ABS plastic with rounded smooth corners, new keyboard, quick access ram, HD, and battery, magnetic latch, sound like the future to me.:D
Multimedia
Jul 17, 04:16 PM
That's horrible news for me. I Don't know how much longer I will be able to use my iMac for. But I don't want to order a MBP and 3 weeks later, a new one comes out.Alternative temporary plan is buy the refurb 1.83 GHz MacBook for $949 now then sell it for about the same when the 2.33 GHz Merom MacBook Pros ships. I would think any almost new MacBook will sell for the same price as refurb or worst case $50 less until the Merom MacBooks ship - which could be at the same time as the MBP but more likely by November. :)
hayesk
May 3, 12:41 PM
but i thought half the point of TB was that you would only need one output from the computer, and since we don't have any TB displays (or anything for that matter) how do we know that the ports are limited to one display?
TB has two 10 Gbps channels. A display takes up one of them. To power a second display, you could use the other channel, but you'd need some kind of breakout box that housed a video card.
TB has two 10 Gbps channels. A display takes up one of them. To power a second display, you could use the other channel, but you'd need some kind of breakout box that housed a video card.
RollTide
Mar 22, 06:23 PM
Maybe all those "OS on SD and everything else on HD was aimed more at iMac????
Here's hopin.
Here's hopin.
gugy
Sep 26, 12:23 PM
Well, it looks like I wont be getting this phone now. Sorry, I'm Verizon and so are all the people I talk to, so I'm not gonna switch for this.
Yeah, I am in the same boat.
For me Cingular is the worst because I can't get it to work at my home and work. I have Verizon, is OK. but at least work. The truth is every carrier has a problem. I am still waiting to find somebody that says their carrier is 100% great and they are satisfied.
I hope iphone will work on other carriers. If not I'll wait until it comes with Verizon or any other carrier other than Cingular.
What good is to have an amazing phone if you can talk or get coverage?
Yeah, I am in the same boat.
For me Cingular is the worst because I can't get it to work at my home and work. I have Verizon, is OK. but at least work. The truth is every carrier has a problem. I am still waiting to find somebody that says their carrier is 100% great and they are satisfied.
I hope iphone will work on other carriers. If not I'll wait until it comes with Verizon or any other carrier other than Cingular.
What good is to have an amazing phone if you can talk or get coverage?
Macist
Apr 19, 08:51 AM
Android is a huge rip-off of the iPhone, that's obvious. Very early Android was more like a RIM or Symbian-looking thing and when the iPhone appeared it quickly started copying the heck out of that.
BUT - when the iPhone introduced the world to full touch screen phones, how else could someone make the same sort of device without it being a lot like an iPhone? Menus, icons, applications, grids... none of this is exactly new...
I can't stand Android and the layer of pointless fluff like HTC Sense that gets in your way with useless graphical nonsense and widgets. When I got a Desire after an iPhone 3G I thought I had a killer phone and 'got one over on the Apple tax' and would enjoy 'mulitasking' and 'openess'.
For five minutes.... Then I realised iOS is far more usable - even though the Desire was way faster with its 1gz processor much of the old iPhone 3G felt slicker. It makes sense not to have a layer of crap over the basic OS. It makes sense to ration multitasking so the phone doesn't bog down. Music playing on Android is rubbish. The iPhone dock is cool.
That's not to say everything on Android isn't good - in some cases auto text reflow would be GREAT on Safari.
Apple should just ignore the Android cloners and continue to innovate- and offer stripped down slickness as Android gets more and more overwrought.
BUT - when the iPhone introduced the world to full touch screen phones, how else could someone make the same sort of device without it being a lot like an iPhone? Menus, icons, applications, grids... none of this is exactly new...
I can't stand Android and the layer of pointless fluff like HTC Sense that gets in your way with useless graphical nonsense and widgets. When I got a Desire after an iPhone 3G I thought I had a killer phone and 'got one over on the Apple tax' and would enjoy 'mulitasking' and 'openess'.
For five minutes.... Then I realised iOS is far more usable - even though the Desire was way faster with its 1gz processor much of the old iPhone 3G felt slicker. It makes sense not to have a layer of crap over the basic OS. It makes sense to ration multitasking so the phone doesn't bog down. Music playing on Android is rubbish. The iPhone dock is cool.
That's not to say everything on Android isn't good - in some cases auto text reflow would be GREAT on Safari.
Apple should just ignore the Android cloners and continue to innovate- and offer stripped down slickness as Android gets more and more overwrought.
Spagolli94
Sep 12, 03:46 PM
i'm sorry but the 30G iPod has a stupid price. If someone is that tight and has to get an iPod, they would probably buy used.
I will by the 30GB and am anything but tight. Why? Because I only have 15GB of music and have been adding music at a rate of about 1GB per year. I have no need to watch movies or look at photos on my iPod. If I'm traveling, I have a PowerBook on the plane with me. My iPod is used in the car and the gym, that's it.
That said, both the 30GB and 80GB have more than enough storage. So, I will make my decision based on physical dimensions - at the gym a smaller iPod is a big plus. The fact that the 30GB is cheaper is just icing on the cake. For my needs, I would have bought the 30GB, even it were the same price... even it the 30GB were more.
I agree with you though. If you currently have or anticipate needing over 30GB of space, the 80GB is a MUCH better value when it comes to GB per dollar.
I will by the 30GB and am anything but tight. Why? Because I only have 15GB of music and have been adding music at a rate of about 1GB per year. I have no need to watch movies or look at photos on my iPod. If I'm traveling, I have a PowerBook on the plane with me. My iPod is used in the car and the gym, that's it.
That said, both the 30GB and 80GB have more than enough storage. So, I will make my decision based on physical dimensions - at the gym a smaller iPod is a big plus. The fact that the 30GB is cheaper is just icing on the cake. For my needs, I would have bought the 30GB, even it were the same price... even it the 30GB were more.
I agree with you though. If you currently have or anticipate needing over 30GB of space, the 80GB is a MUCH better value when it comes to GB per dollar.
dejo
Nov 13, 03:32 PM
The problem is that they have broken no rules. The data being sent to display the images is coming from the Mac. Rogue Amoeba is following the rules of the SDK.
Except in this case, they still didn't break the rules. Nothing in the SDK prohibits what they did. (Gruber's reply (http://daringfireball.net/2009/11/airfoil_touch_situation) to Jeff LaMarche sums it up very nicely � I know it's already been linked to be I think it needs repeating)
I don't think they broke any rules either (hence my "I may not agree with it" comment) but I was just pointing out the fact that you can't argue, in a general way, that it doesn't make sense to be allowed to do something on the Mac but not on the iPhone. They do have a different set of rules.
Except in this case, they still didn't break the rules. Nothing in the SDK prohibits what they did. (Gruber's reply (http://daringfireball.net/2009/11/airfoil_touch_situation) to Jeff LaMarche sums it up very nicely � I know it's already been linked to be I think it needs repeating)
I don't think they broke any rules either (hence my "I may not agree with it" comment) but I was just pointing out the fact that you can't argue, in a general way, that it doesn't make sense to be allowed to do something on the Mac but not on the iPhone. They do have a different set of rules.
No comments:
Post a Comment