DocNYz
Apr 24, 03:15 PM
I just hope they manage to keep it as cool and quiet as our current mba 11" (1,6 Ghz C2D)... I prefer quiet computing over ultraspeed in a mba, for shure!
Yeah it should be, there's no hard drive to make noise and unless you keep it on a stove or do insanely heavy processing you shouldn't hear the fan either.
Yeah it should be, there's no hard drive to make noise and unless you keep it on a stove or do insanely heavy processing you shouldn't hear the fan either.

dime21
Apr 14, 12:39 PM
Some PC ship with FW, but not many. It is considered a Mac only interface.
That's because intel and the peecee vendors crippled it. Mac's all have normal firewire ports. Every peecee and windows laptop I've ever seen has the micro-firewire ports that are normally only for portable end devices like video cameras and camcorders. The micro ports do not provide bus power either!
Imagine if they did that with USB, instead of putting the normal USB ports on your Dell or HP laptop, they put the micro USB ports like you find on a cell phone, and also took away the bus-power, so thumb drives wouldn't work, and any USB device would require an external A/C adapter. That would have completely destroyed USB as a technology and nobody would have used it. Well, that's *exactly* what they did to Firewire.
That's because intel and the peecee vendors crippled it. Mac's all have normal firewire ports. Every peecee and windows laptop I've ever seen has the micro-firewire ports that are normally only for portable end devices like video cameras and camcorders. The micro ports do not provide bus power either!
Imagine if they did that with USB, instead of putting the normal USB ports on your Dell or HP laptop, they put the micro USB ports like you find on a cell phone, and also took away the bus-power, so thumb drives wouldn't work, and any USB device would require an external A/C adapter. That would have completely destroyed USB as a technology and nobody would have used it. Well, that's *exactly* what they did to Firewire.
revfife
Sep 12, 02:33 PM
The headphones look different on the specs page, new earbuds mayhaps?
Yeah, Steve said something about a new design on the standard Apple headphones
Yeah, Steve said something about a new design on the standard Apple headphones

Stevamundo
Apr 28, 05:43 PM
Well thank you Steve Balmer. Why in the hell did Gates left him in charge I never will understand.
While Steve Jobs is great.
See you have two kinds of Steves, one is an idiot and other one is highly intelligent. :D
While Steve Jobs is great.
See you have two kinds of Steves, one is an idiot and other one is highly intelligent. :D
localoid
Apr 22, 02:19 AM
I really hope this happens but I have a feeling that it will be hobbled in some way. If it runs from an iTunes master copy of songs then it might preclude people uploading music that has been ripped from CDs or bought somewhere else (like Amazon).
Actually, Amazon gives you 5 gigs of space on your cloud drive for your own MP3s. When/if you buy songs from them, you get additional space for the songs you've purchased.
Actually, Amazon gives you 5 gigs of space on your cloud drive for your own MP3s. When/if you buy songs from them, you get additional space for the songs you've purchased.
iStudentUK
Apr 19, 06:43 AM
I wonder how long it will be until every tech company is suing every other tech company.
This is getting silly!
This is getting silly!
suneohair
Sep 14, 11:25 AM
Some ACD love? I need to buy soon.
ChrisTX
Apr 25, 06:49 PM
i knew i should have held on a year longer :( i guess its ebay time in 6 months for my quad 17..
Why? If you like your MacBook Pro, why the regrets if it is performing the tasks you want it to perform? I just purchased a quad 15" and I couldn't be happier. No need to upgrade or sell every time there is a refresh because technology moves so fast. Just be glad you have an awesome machine that will be awesome for years to come!
Why? If you like your MacBook Pro, why the regrets if it is performing the tasks you want it to perform? I just purchased a quad 15" and I couldn't be happier. No need to upgrade or sell every time there is a refresh because technology moves so fast. Just be glad you have an awesome machine that will be awesome for years to come!
rmhop81
Apr 22, 08:30 AM
Problems:
--Dependence on an internet connection. Deal breaker right there. Subways? Forget it.
--Buffer times
--Connection instability/loss
--Already way overstrained data networks contributing to the above
--Battery life will suffer if it's wifi
--And if it's 3G, well there's another bill in the mail every month. A recurring bill in the form of data charges to listen to my music I already paid for? No thank you. No, no, no thank you.
Since when did every device in the house need a monthly bill to go with it? AT&T provides a pretty crappy service as it is to begin with, why shuffle any more money right into their pockets?
Dependence on an internet connection and a bill in the mail are enormous deal breakers.
To the people saying "Oh, well Apple isn't taking your hard drive away", no, they aren't, but this is the first step. In 20 years hard drives will be obsolete, as everything will be cloud based, and you'll be forced into the cloud whether you want to be or not.
This service is a completely stupid idea for anyone who has an iPod with a big enough hard drive to store their stuff. I can see the appeal for those with more than 160 GB of music, but other than those people, I see literally zero benefits to be had by this, and a slew of problems/frustrations to be gained.
ever heard of the pandora app??
--Dependence on an internet connection. Deal breaker right there. Subways? Forget it.
--Buffer times
--Connection instability/loss
--Already way overstrained data networks contributing to the above
--Battery life will suffer if it's wifi
--And if it's 3G, well there's another bill in the mail every month. A recurring bill in the form of data charges to listen to my music I already paid for? No thank you. No, no, no thank you.
Since when did every device in the house need a monthly bill to go with it? AT&T provides a pretty crappy service as it is to begin with, why shuffle any more money right into their pockets?
Dependence on an internet connection and a bill in the mail are enormous deal breakers.
To the people saying "Oh, well Apple isn't taking your hard drive away", no, they aren't, but this is the first step. In 20 years hard drives will be obsolete, as everything will be cloud based, and you'll be forced into the cloud whether you want to be or not.
This service is a completely stupid idea for anyone who has an iPod with a big enough hard drive to store their stuff. I can see the appeal for those with more than 160 GB of music, but other than those people, I see literally zero benefits to be had by this, and a slew of problems/frustrations to be gained.
ever heard of the pandora app??
paulrbeers
Apr 22, 11:56 AM
then why did apple cripple the 13" macbook pro's with ****** resolution then?
Because they didn't redesign the MBP. It is the same 13" unibody MBP they have had since the first 13" unibody MBP. Because of that, everything is exactly the same as it was. It has nothing to do with the capabilities of the video chipset. Seriously the 13" MBP can run a 27" ACD.
Because they didn't redesign the MBP. It is the same 13" unibody MBP they have had since the first 13" unibody MBP. Because of that, everything is exactly the same as it was. It has nothing to do with the capabilities of the video chipset. Seriously the 13" MBP can run a 27" ACD.
BeSweeet
May 3, 12:10 PM
Meh. Still greatly overpriced for the hardware.
Philsy
Sep 26, 08:46 AM
It could be a cash cow for Apple, if it does sell 25-million phones. People want stylish phones - look how the ROKR took off (sadly, now everyone has one, it's considered naff...) - so that figure seems realistic if the product is right.
I hope the Apple phone will be 3G. Is there any indication of this? Surely Apple wouldn't go with the old 2G technology.
I hope the Apple phone will be 3G. Is there any indication of this? Surely Apple wouldn't go with the old 2G technology.
zephonic
Apr 30, 05:04 PM
I wish they'd make top spec available for the smaller display model. I need the horsepower but not the 27".
I know I know, not gonna happen...
I know I know, not gonna happen...
bitfactory
Oct 27, 10:17 AM
Hmmmm, so what you're saying is that a quiet protest (which as an eye-witness I can say this was!!) about a subject they feel strongly about isn't allowed at certain conventions because of the political orientation of the people in charge.
The whole point of the MacExpo is to show the services that Apple and its Third-Party agents can supply to the public. I don't see what the harm is in advertising what they DON'T offer (ie:- in the opinion of Greenpeace - a sound environmental agenda) at the same time.
I'm not going to side with any particular viewpoint about Apple's "green policy" here, as I simply have not read enough about it to convey an honest and balanced opinion. however I do feel that it is within Greenpeace's right to advertise the issues they feel strongly about in an orderly manner (which as far as I'm concerned they did on Thursday!).
I'm sorry, what part of 'private property' don't you people understand?
The whole point of the MacExpo is to show the services that Apple and its Third-Party agents can supply to the public. I don't see what the harm is in advertising what they DON'T offer (ie:- in the opinion of Greenpeace - a sound environmental agenda) at the same time.
I'm not going to side with any particular viewpoint about Apple's "green policy" here, as I simply have not read enough about it to convey an honest and balanced opinion. however I do feel that it is within Greenpeace's right to advertise the issues they feel strongly about in an orderly manner (which as far as I'm concerned they did on Thursday!).
I'm sorry, what part of 'private property' don't you people understand?
sigma8
Mar 23, 06:16 PM
No one likes drunk drivers. No one. Period. That being said, Apple should not pull the App. Speed trap apps will be next (Trapster)... Keep the app store open to everything thats legal. This is no different than a friend calling you telling you to avoid a check point. Neither is illegal.
I agree. These apps are only letting people share information. If law enforcement doesn't want people avoiding the traps and checkpoints, then they should randomize their placement. They can quickly render these apps useless by simply changing their methods. That solves the problem without impinging or seeming to impinge upon any free speech issues.
In fact, the notion that these apps exist at all demonstrates that people are sharing this information. I'd wager this was happening on forums or IRC (or through other means) on the QT well before the apps themselves were created. If they get the apps removed, it will still be happening. Law enforcement should be glad to learn that their methods have been circumvented, and that they should change them.
I agree. These apps are only letting people share information. If law enforcement doesn't want people avoiding the traps and checkpoints, then they should randomize their placement. They can quickly render these apps useless by simply changing their methods. That solves the problem without impinging or seeming to impinge upon any free speech issues.
In fact, the notion that these apps exist at all demonstrates that people are sharing this information. I'd wager this was happening on forums or IRC (or through other means) on the QT well before the apps themselves were created. If they get the apps removed, it will still be happening. Law enforcement should be glad to learn that their methods have been circumvented, and that they should change them.
balamw
Sep 6, 12:15 PM
I came across this interesting article which says that Amazon is also planning to offer movies online in its store and that it has almost finalized deals with at least 3 of the big studios.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-fi-movies6sep06,0,6420529.story?coll=la-home-headlines
Amazon was also suppsedly working on an iTMS/iPod killer that was to have launched this summer, with a subsidized/free player so perhaps the movie bit is linked to that?
B
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-fi-movies6sep06,0,6420529.story?coll=la-home-headlines
Amazon was also suppsedly working on an iTMS/iPod killer that was to have launched this summer, with a subsidized/free player so perhaps the movie bit is linked to that?
B
mduser63
Sep 5, 03:14 PM
I think the notion that Apple is trying to get is like this senerio:
Somebody who is bored on a Friday night with nothing better to do, who does not feel like driving out to the local video rental store. Howabout being able to download it on your computer for $4.99 for a 5 day rental.
I really hope this is what they're thinking, because it describes my reasons for wanting an iTunes Movie Store. I don't buy movies much, because I generally don't watch movies more than once. I like to rent movies, but I find it annoying to have to leave, drive to Blockbuster, look through the shelves, often to find that they are out of the movie I wanted to watch. Being able to fire up iTunes, search or browse for a movie, and immediately download it for viewing would be great. I don't care about buying movies, only rentals. Blockbuster already charges around $4 or something, so I hope Apple can at least match that price if not beat it.
Somebody who is bored on a Friday night with nothing better to do, who does not feel like driving out to the local video rental store. Howabout being able to download it on your computer for $4.99 for a 5 day rental.
I really hope this is what they're thinking, because it describes my reasons for wanting an iTunes Movie Store. I don't buy movies much, because I generally don't watch movies more than once. I like to rent movies, but I find it annoying to have to leave, drive to Blockbuster, look through the shelves, often to find that they are out of the movie I wanted to watch. Being able to fire up iTunes, search or browse for a movie, and immediately download it for viewing would be great. I don't care about buying movies, only rentals. Blockbuster already charges around $4 or something, so I hope Apple can at least match that price if not beat it.
Bengt77
Sep 5, 10:44 AM
Read on and be wowed:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2016
Darn! That article indeed wowed me. Not only what it says, but also (and that is a Good Thing�) the way it says it. The writing style really sucks you in the article. Of course, the products it 'promises' do help to raise the interest meter.
But, all in all, really good article. :)
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2016
Darn! That article indeed wowed me. Not only what it says, but also (and that is a Good Thing�) the way it says it. The writing style really sucks you in the article. Of course, the products it 'promises' do help to raise the interest meter.
But, all in all, really good article. :)
milo
Sep 5, 12:13 PM
I don't really get the point of wireless video unless you can somehow incorporate a pause feature into it. What am I going to do with the video if I have to answer the door or phone or go to the can or get a snack? Do I have to go to my computer and reset the video and hope that when it streams to the TV or whatever it's at the right spot? For me it would be much easier to just move the movie to my iPod, put the iPod in a dock with a remote and watch it that way. Unless maybe the new airport device has it's own remote! Now that might be interesting. :D
Hal
If they're going to do it, it needs to have a remote, and probably needs to have Front Row. And to REALLY do it right, they need to put the ability to buy movies (and music, and any other content) directly into Front Row, so you can buy a show straight from the TV and not have to walk to the computer.
Hal
If they're going to do it, it needs to have a remote, and probably needs to have Front Row. And to REALLY do it right, they need to put the ability to buy movies (and music, and any other content) directly into Front Row, so you can buy a show straight from the TV and not have to walk to the computer.
bearcatrp
Apr 20, 10:10 AM
This is total BS. We should have been informed of this and a way to turn it off or delete the file on our own. As for the poster above who stated it only goes to your computer, I highly doubt it. This is another big brother tracking honest citizens. Hope a class action does happen. I will definitely sign on!
LagunaSol
Apr 4, 01:01 PM
In Virginia Tech for instance there was heroics. The professor held his body agains the door and prevented the gunmen from entering and killing more people. The bullets passed through the door and killed the professor but he was a hero Or does he need a gun to be a hero?
"Heroics???" Who cares about heroics if you're dead??? This isn't a video game. The obvious best-case situation would have been a student pulling a pistol from his backpack and shooting the shooter in the head after the first couple of murders.
Tell you what - you hold your body against the door, I'll use my gun. :rolleyes:
There would have been no preventing that guy from killing. Sure he might have been killed. But he would have killed before people got their guns out to shoot back. And If there had been more people carrying guns there likely would have been cross fire from incompetent gun toters.
Wow, your logic processor needs calibration. Of course he would have killed some. Would he have killed that many? NO.
And notice I keep saying "armed and trained." You don't buy a handgun at the 7-11 and throw it in your pack. To use your quote, "It doesn't work that way."
It is a fantasy story you concoct. But keep dreaming.
I think the only fantasy here is the one playing out in your head.
Perhaps someday you'll get to be the hero. Lets hope you don't wet yourself in the process.
Based on your commentary, I'm sure I'm far more prepared than you. (And being a "hero" has nothing to do with it.)
"Heroics???" Who cares about heroics if you're dead??? This isn't a video game. The obvious best-case situation would have been a student pulling a pistol from his backpack and shooting the shooter in the head after the first couple of murders.
Tell you what - you hold your body against the door, I'll use my gun. :rolleyes:
There would have been no preventing that guy from killing. Sure he might have been killed. But he would have killed before people got their guns out to shoot back. And If there had been more people carrying guns there likely would have been cross fire from incompetent gun toters.
Wow, your logic processor needs calibration. Of course he would have killed some. Would he have killed that many? NO.
And notice I keep saying "armed and trained." You don't buy a handgun at the 7-11 and throw it in your pack. To use your quote, "It doesn't work that way."
It is a fantasy story you concoct. But keep dreaming.
I think the only fantasy here is the one playing out in your head.
Perhaps someday you'll get to be the hero. Lets hope you don't wet yourself in the process.
Based on your commentary, I'm sure I'm far more prepared than you. (And being a "hero" has nothing to do with it.)
ChazUK
Apr 19, 06:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)
I wonder what will happen here. Form the "who's suing who" infrographics I've seen, Samsung remained pretty much untouched until now.
I wonder what will happen here. Form the "who's suing who" infrographics I've seen, Samsung remained pretty much untouched until now.
spicyapple
Sep 19, 03:52 PM
Ah, yes Casshan you are right. :) More reasons to stick with hard-copy DVDs.
kharvel
Apr 29, 03:55 AM
There are two groups of Apple consumers:
Group 1: The people who jumped on the Apple bandwagon in or after Y2K
Group 2: The people who have been loyal Apple consumers prior to Y2K. I belong to this group.
Prior to jumping on the bandwagon, many of the folks in Group 1 and the rest of the world made fun of the folks in Group 2. Group 2 people were often considered crazy cultists with a "sad fetish" for Apple (it took a certain type of individual to recognize the insane greatness of Apple products). Group 2 people were also considered stupid/misguided for sticking with Apple. Many of the people in Group 1 and the rest of the world most likely agreed with Michael Dell when he said Apple should close down.
Fast forward to today. Apple now generates more revenues AND profits than Microsoft. This is an important milestone for the Group 2 folks for the simple reason that Apple has finally won the technology war. It may have lost the PC battle but Apple is now indisputably the technology innovation champion. And it became the champion WITHOUT any benefit of a monopolistic position that Microsoft had over the PC operating system for decades.
When I hear comments from people dismissing the significance of Apple surpassing MSFT in profits, I know that these people belong to either Group 1 or are MSFT fanboys. They will never understand the blood, sweat, and tears that Apple and its cult members had to go through to reach this point.
Congratulations, Apple, for reaching the pinnacle. Thanks for doing what you do best: making insanely great consumer technology.
Group 1: The people who jumped on the Apple bandwagon in or after Y2K
Group 2: The people who have been loyal Apple consumers prior to Y2K. I belong to this group.
Prior to jumping on the bandwagon, many of the folks in Group 1 and the rest of the world made fun of the folks in Group 2. Group 2 people were often considered crazy cultists with a "sad fetish" for Apple (it took a certain type of individual to recognize the insane greatness of Apple products). Group 2 people were also considered stupid/misguided for sticking with Apple. Many of the people in Group 1 and the rest of the world most likely agreed with Michael Dell when he said Apple should close down.
Fast forward to today. Apple now generates more revenues AND profits than Microsoft. This is an important milestone for the Group 2 folks for the simple reason that Apple has finally won the technology war. It may have lost the PC battle but Apple is now indisputably the technology innovation champion. And it became the champion WITHOUT any benefit of a monopolistic position that Microsoft had over the PC operating system for decades.
When I hear comments from people dismissing the significance of Apple surpassing MSFT in profits, I know that these people belong to either Group 1 or are MSFT fanboys. They will never understand the blood, sweat, and tears that Apple and its cult members had to go through to reach this point.
Congratulations, Apple, for reaching the pinnacle. Thanks for doing what you do best: making insanely great consumer technology.
No comments:
Post a Comment