shawnce
Aug 23, 08:02 PM
Because of Apple's actions, Creative can now legitimately force other MP3 player makers to pay too. I think this is what Apple wants.
Exactly... including MS if they use a similar enough UI.
Exactly... including MS if they use a similar enough UI.
wlh99
Apr 20, 10:20 AM
Section 4b of the software license agreement explains it all:
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone.pdf
So does turning of Locations Services stop the data collection, or just stop applications from accessing it?
Does turning of Location services delete data already in the file?
I guess it works both ways, if accused of a crime you didn't commit, bring your phone to work and prove you were not their. And if you are going to commit a crime, leave your phone at home.
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone.pdf
So does turning of Locations Services stop the data collection, or just stop applications from accessing it?
Does turning of Location services delete data already in the file?
I guess it works both ways, if accused of a crime you didn't commit, bring your phone to work and prove you were not their. And if you are going to commit a crime, leave your phone at home.
Phil A.
Aug 23, 07:07 PM
Don't 90% or more of the MP3 players on the market also infringe this patent (including the forthcoming Zune). By making this payout Apple have given Creative the means to fight other companies (such as Microsoft, Sandisk, etc) which could tie them up for years and possibly even delay the launch of Zune. Meanwhile, Apple have their nice license agreement and can continue unabated...
HiRez
Sep 19, 04:08 PM
I don't think Apple is aiming for the uber-geek with $25k worth of home entertainment equipment. IMHO, they will never be able to compete in that market.
I think they are reaching for the average joe blow that has a servicable $400 TV that he bought at Wal-mart, and maybe, just maybe, has a stereo hooked up to it. The average Joe doesn't care, and can't tell, that it's Dolby Surround and not Dolby Digital.I disagree. Dolby Digital is no longer reserved for rich �ber-geeks. Many "regular Joes" have a Dolby Digital setup now, and you can get a Dolby Digital receiver (all 5 normal channels powered) for under $100.
I think they are reaching for the average joe blow that has a servicable $400 TV that he bought at Wal-mart, and maybe, just maybe, has a stereo hooked up to it. The average Joe doesn't care, and can't tell, that it's Dolby Surround and not Dolby Digital.I disagree. Dolby Digital is no longer reserved for rich �ber-geeks. Many "regular Joes" have a Dolby Digital setup now, and you can get a Dolby Digital receiver (all 5 normal channels powered) for under $100.
Trekkie
Aug 24, 08:21 AM
Can't wait to see what my Apple stock does today...:rolleyes:
I'd bet it bounces up, because now they don't have this crap hanging over their heads. The judgement vs. the settlement could have been a crapload worse should they have lost.
I'd bet it bounces up, because now they don't have this crap hanging over their heads. The judgement vs. the settlement could have been a crapload worse should they have lost.
cwt1nospam
Jan 12, 09:21 AM
Thanks for reminding me to put you on ignore. I know how easy it is to identify an operating system, but if they bothered to make a message just for Mac users it stands to reason they made malware for Mac users too. Or would they just make the message for fun? We all know what funny guys malware writers are.
For anyone who might buy into the above crap:
Many "virus writers" are script kiddies. They don't necessarily know much if anything about the Mac, so they assume that the virus they're using will work the same as on a PC. That's why they'll "make a message just for Mac users" even though it won't do anything. This of course doesn't mean that there aren't ever any Trojans for the Mac. There have been a few in the past and there certainly will be some in the future. There's just no need for antivirus software to detect these until and unless one or more of them become successful AND it takes Apple significantly longer to come out with a system update than it does the AV vendors to detect the threat and create a definition for it.
Why significantly longer? Because AV software costs you time and money while it slows your system down and potentially creates new vectors for viruses to attack your system! Software updates are free, don't slow your system down or make it more vulnerable, and unless they're long delayed the odds are excellent that you will not see the attack on your system before receiving the update.
This all applies to IOS too, except that because IOS is locked down to the point where the only way to get an application is through the app store it is practically impossible to create and transmit a trojan, let a lone a virus.
For anyone who might buy into the above crap:
Many "virus writers" are script kiddies. They don't necessarily know much if anything about the Mac, so they assume that the virus they're using will work the same as on a PC. That's why they'll "make a message just for Mac users" even though it won't do anything. This of course doesn't mean that there aren't ever any Trojans for the Mac. There have been a few in the past and there certainly will be some in the future. There's just no need for antivirus software to detect these until and unless one or more of them become successful AND it takes Apple significantly longer to come out with a system update than it does the AV vendors to detect the threat and create a definition for it.
Why significantly longer? Because AV software costs you time and money while it slows your system down and potentially creates new vectors for viruses to attack your system! Software updates are free, don't slow your system down or make it more vulnerable, and unless they're long delayed the odds are excellent that you will not see the attack on your system before receiving the update.
This all applies to IOS too, except that because IOS is locked down to the point where the only way to get an application is through the app store it is practically impossible to create and transmit a trojan, let a lone a virus.
LagunaSol
Apr 4, 12:54 PM
I often wondered what kind of people could find a homeowner who shot an armed intruder guilty of a crime or culpable in civil court. Having read many of the comments in this thread, now I know.
The scary thing is some of these people may be sitting on the jury if this ever happens to you. :eek:
The scary thing is some of these people may be sitting on the jury if this ever happens to you. :eek:
Meandmunch
Apr 25, 07:08 PM
Other than shaving a few millimeters of the case, a few grams of weight what amount of change isn't incremental at this point?
hulugu
Apr 18, 12:52 PM
That's incredible! How can that be the case? Here it is 28 days paid days off if you work a normal 5 day week.
Because we're a free people, unlike you socialists. We can choose to work longer hours for less money and no vacation, our jobs hanging on by the mercurial temperament of our betters. We prefer to work two jobs to make enough to keep the kids in diapers, driving two hours through traffic across crumbling infrastructure, and goddamn it if someone were to give us paternity leave.
Because we're a free people.
Because we're a free people, unlike you socialists. We can choose to work longer hours for less money and no vacation, our jobs hanging on by the mercurial temperament of our betters. We prefer to work two jobs to make enough to keep the kids in diapers, driving two hours through traffic across crumbling infrastructure, and goddamn it if someone were to give us paternity leave.
Because we're a free people.
min_t
Sep 14, 04:17 PM
Steve walks up to the stage holding a cobalt blue notebook. He opens it up and hits the power button. The audience is temporarily blinded by the brighness of the LED bulbs used to power the apple logo on the lid. (It will come in handy when you're lost in the wilderness and need to signal a passing aircraft.)
"It runs on core2duo. And the color is user customizable."
He then turns the notebook around so we can see the screen.
"It's running our newest universal product, Photoshop killa 1.0."
"It runs on core2duo. And the color is user customizable."
He then turns the notebook around so we can see the screen.
"It's running our newest universal product, Photoshop killa 1.0."
racer1441
Apr 4, 12:38 PM
Good on the cop. Criminals are scum. Got what he deserved.
AaronEdwards
Apr 20, 02:01 PM
Not trying to be a aluminum foil hat theorist here but this is the kind of small first step that leads us down a dark path to a "Minority Report" kind of future.
But the Minority Report had the most amazing designs, and everything looked flawless. And you got to sort data with your hands.
If something looks really good and have a great UI, then it can't be bad.
But the Minority Report had the most amazing designs, and everything looked flawless. And you got to sort data with your hands.
If something looks really good and have a great UI, then it can't be bad.
rstansby
Mar 29, 12:49 PM
Exactly. You should be able to CUT a file and move it. I bought an app in the Mac App Store that does just that...
Should be built in.
That other thing that sucks in the folder view. I want folders first in A to Z, then files A to Z like in Windows... Not a default option....
So in other words it is a very minor missing feature, easily eclipsed by dozens of important features that are only found on a Mac.
Should be built in.
That other thing that sucks in the folder view. I want folders first in A to Z, then files A to Z like in Windows... Not a default option....
So in other words it is a very minor missing feature, easily eclipsed by dozens of important features that are only found on a Mac.
jddar
Mar 22, 01:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)
Wish I could afford to buy a 27-inch one. I got a refund after returning several of the 2009 model for various display issues. I still lust after that computer--aside from those issues, it was by far the best computer I ever owned. I just ordered a new iPad 2. So, I'll likely have to wait for the next incarnation of the iMac. Definitely, soon, I will get another iMac. The iMac and iPad are the perfect combination for my needs.
Wish I could afford to buy a 27-inch one. I got a refund after returning several of the 2009 model for various display issues. I still lust after that computer--aside from those issues, it was by far the best computer I ever owned. I just ordered a new iPad 2. So, I'll likely have to wait for the next incarnation of the iMac. Definitely, soon, I will get another iMac. The iMac and iPad are the perfect combination for my needs.
Love
Apr 11, 09:09 PM
Canada is sounding awfully good to me right now.
Minimum wage is $8.80 in my province (one of the lower wages in Canada, but also relatively low taxes), but you could easily make $11 min. at a good few fast food places. The average official minimum wage is probably around $9.30 here. The taxes we pay are higher, but then there's the healthcare and other social things. Perhaps we can continue that, if we get rid of our current PM who wants Canada to be a smaller-population more-land version of the States...
Minimum wage is $8.80 in my province (one of the lower wages in Canada, but also relatively low taxes), but you could easily make $11 min. at a good few fast food places. The average official minimum wage is probably around $9.30 here. The taxes we pay are higher, but then there's the healthcare and other social things. Perhaps we can continue that, if we get rid of our current PM who wants Canada to be a smaller-population more-land version of the States...
askthedust
Sep 12, 02:20 PM
I'm in the same boat, just bought mah-jong for my video ipod and it won't drag in. and itunes says my software is "up to date":mad:
Evangelion
Sep 9, 11:41 AM
Sounds like a set of chips to me ;)
dave
By "chipset" people usually refer to the southbridge/northbridge-combo. In this case that is the Intel Express 945.
dave
By "chipset" people usually refer to the southbridge/northbridge-combo. In this case that is the Intel Express 945.
Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 14, 09:26 AM
There is no way in hell that they will introduce laptops at this event.
Period.
I have repeated that a couple of times already...doesnt help.
Period.
I have repeated that a couple of times already...doesnt help.
suneohair
Sep 14, 11:25 AM
Some ACD love? I need to buy soon.
Stella
Mar 29, 11:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/SYB-1103211396; U; en-US) Presto/2.7.81 Version/11.00)
I can belief this. Nokia is a strong brand and will definitely have a large impact on WP7 marketshare. The phone market does'nt revolve around the States.
I can belief this. Nokia is a strong brand and will definitely have a large impact on WP7 marketshare. The phone market does'nt revolve around the States.
SilianRail
Apr 19, 01:34 PM
The sources pointed out that the USB 3.0 technology currently seems like it will become a transitional product with Thunderbolt to become the finalized next-generation transmission technology.http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/NewsSearch.asp?DocID=PD000000000000000000000000019434&query=APPLE
jrv3034
Oct 12, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately, your solution just doesn't work very well for actually solving the problem. A program just to educate Africans about how AIDS is spread would be an enormous cost alone. But I'm sure you're just looking to get flamed. Well, it won't be long now, just wait for it.
That post isn't even worth the time to flame...
That post isn't even worth the time to flame...
larryw
Apr 4, 12:30 PM
Interesting how a security guard is allowed to have a gun. Interesting to see what happens to him.
"Allowed to have a gun" :rolleyes:. Read the Second Amendment.
"Allowed to have a gun" :rolleyes:. Read the Second Amendment.
MacintoshMan
Apr 25, 02:55 PM
Nice! I can't wait, i've survived without having to buy the unibody design which I loath so much. The edges are too sharp, the keyboard was better on the old one, in efforts to keep it cool the laptop had to be underclocked. Also, for me as a traveler I often do allot of work on the road and I don't mind carrying extra battery, but with this design its impossible for me to swap out.
Not to mention the unipad trackpad just isnt for me, in programs like photoshop you end up doing things on accident. But that's prolly going to stay so im going to be out of luck
Not to mention the unipad trackpad just isnt for me, in programs like photoshop you end up doing things on accident. But that's prolly going to stay so im going to be out of luck
No comments:
Post a Comment