
CQd44
Apr 30, 06:10 PM
I don't see why people here are saying USB3 won't go anywhere. Portable hard drives are already using it =\
alent1234
Apr 22, 08:03 AM
So Apple's method could be more efficient their side, offering a spotify type model where everyone accesses the same iTunes purchased track (except this time they own it) instead of Amazon's where each indivdual track is stored in their "digital locker"?
A nice bt of foresight by Apple if so.
this is we have something called dedupe where the computer strips out redundant data in similar files. i bet every song in amazon's storage locker is unique but with dedupe they only store it once
A nice bt of foresight by Apple if so.
this is we have something called dedupe where the computer strips out redundant data in similar files. i bet every song in amazon's storage locker is unique but with dedupe they only store it once
FFArchitect
Mar 30, 12:35 PM
The term "app" may be generic, but there was no "app" until Apple came into the picture. Apple got there first and everyone (as usual) followed.

iMacx
Mar 22, 02:04 PM
well, i guess its time to start thinking about selling my mid 2010 2.93 27" :rolleyes:

theelysium
May 3, 01:16 PM
Did anyone notice that it has an IPS display?
http://www.apple.com/imac/features.html#displays
I didn't know what IPS was so I looked it up. It is basically what makes LCD usable as a TV.
In-plane switching (IPS)
In-plane switching is an LCD technology which aligns the liquid crystal cells in a horizontal direction. In this method, the electrical field is applied through each end of the crystal, but this requires two transistors for each pixel instead of the single transistor needed for a standard thin-film transistor (TFT) display. Before LG Enhanced IPS was introduced in the additional transistors resulted in blocking more transmission area, thus requiring a brighter backlight, which consumed more power, and made this type of display less desirable for notebook computers. This newer, lower power technology can be found in the Apple iMac, iPad, and iPhone 4, as well as several Hewlett-Packard EliteBook mobile workstations. Currently Panasonic is using an enhanced version eIPS for their large size LCD-TV products.
Advanced fringe field switching (AFFS)
Known as fringe field switching (FFS) until 2003,[17] advanced fringe field switching is a technology similar to IPS or S-IPS offering superior performance and colour gamut with high luminosity. AFFS is developed by Hydis Technologies Co.,Ltd, Korea (formally Hyundai Electronics, LCD Task Force).[18]
AFFS-applied notebook applications minimize colour distortion while maintaining its superior wide viewing angle for a professional display. Colour shift and deviation caused by light leakage is corrected by optimizing the white gamut which also enhances white/grey reproduction.
In Hydis Technologies Co.,Ltd licenses AFFS patent to Japan's Hitachi Displays. Hitachi is using AFFS to manufacture high end panels in their product line. In HYDIS also licenses AFFS to Sanyo Epson Imaging Devices Corporation.
Hydis introduced AFFS+ which improved outdoor readability in 2007.
Vertical alignment (VA)
Vertical alignment displays are a form of LCDs in which the liquid crystal material naturally exists in a vertical state removing the need for extra transistors (as in IPS). When no voltage is applied, the liquid crystal cell remains perpendicular to the substrate creating a black display. When voltage is applied, the liquid crystal cells shift to a horizontal position, parallel to the substrate, allowing light to pass through and create a white display. VA liquid crystal displays provide some of the same advantages as IPS panels.[citation needed]
http://www.apple.com/imac/features.html#displays
I didn't know what IPS was so I looked it up. It is basically what makes LCD usable as a TV.
In-plane switching (IPS)
In-plane switching is an LCD technology which aligns the liquid crystal cells in a horizontal direction. In this method, the electrical field is applied through each end of the crystal, but this requires two transistors for each pixel instead of the single transistor needed for a standard thin-film transistor (TFT) display. Before LG Enhanced IPS was introduced in the additional transistors resulted in blocking more transmission area, thus requiring a brighter backlight, which consumed more power, and made this type of display less desirable for notebook computers. This newer, lower power technology can be found in the Apple iMac, iPad, and iPhone 4, as well as several Hewlett-Packard EliteBook mobile workstations. Currently Panasonic is using an enhanced version eIPS for their large size LCD-TV products.
Advanced fringe field switching (AFFS)
Known as fringe field switching (FFS) until 2003,[17] advanced fringe field switching is a technology similar to IPS or S-IPS offering superior performance and colour gamut with high luminosity. AFFS is developed by Hydis Technologies Co.,Ltd, Korea (formally Hyundai Electronics, LCD Task Force).[18]
AFFS-applied notebook applications minimize colour distortion while maintaining its superior wide viewing angle for a professional display. Colour shift and deviation caused by light leakage is corrected by optimizing the white gamut which also enhances white/grey reproduction.
In Hydis Technologies Co.,Ltd licenses AFFS patent to Japan's Hitachi Displays. Hitachi is using AFFS to manufacture high end panels in their product line. In HYDIS also licenses AFFS to Sanyo Epson Imaging Devices Corporation.
Hydis introduced AFFS+ which improved outdoor readability in 2007.
Vertical alignment (VA)
Vertical alignment displays are a form of LCDs in which the liquid crystal material naturally exists in a vertical state removing the need for extra transistors (as in IPS). When no voltage is applied, the liquid crystal cell remains perpendicular to the substrate creating a black display. When voltage is applied, the liquid crystal cells shift to a horizontal position, parallel to the substrate, allowing light to pass through and create a white display. VA liquid crystal displays provide some of the same advantages as IPS panels.[citation needed]
JMP
Apr 30, 01:27 PM
Why do they want OS X users to feel as if we were on an iPad!!!???
If I wanted/needed one, I'd buy one. What the hell !!!???????:mad::mad::mad::mad:
If I wanted/needed one, I'd buy one. What the hell !!!???????:mad::mad::mad::mad:
thisisahughes
Mar 30, 12:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)
Apple is upset at Amazon for using AppStore.
Microsoft is upset at Apple for using App Store.
Interesting.
Apple is upset at Amazon for using AppStore.
Microsoft is upset at Apple for using App Store.
Interesting.
Joshuarocks
Apr 19, 10:10 AM
Minimum wage needs to be increased, national healthcare needs to be implemented and tax holes closed. This country would be in a lot better shape as far as it's lower classes go, imo.
Min wage should be 10/ hour.. possibly 11 with the way this country is heading...
Min wage should be 10/ hour.. possibly 11 with the way this country is heading...
Otaviano
Apr 22, 05:48 AM
How does streaming music to my iPhone help me, when O2 cap my Internet usage, and then charge when you use more.
A great point, it's kind of funny how consumers have let the media lead us into believing we need clouded services out of everything. I can understand streaming television and films, but what is so hard about syncing your music at home once or twice a week?
A great point, it's kind of funny how consumers have let the media lead us into believing we need clouded services out of everything. I can understand streaming television and films, but what is so hard about syncing your music at home once or twice a week?

SwiftLives
Aug 31, 10:05 PM
I don't think we're getting the movie store or movie iPod just yet.
The sites that claim to have gotten an invite are French. (Not sure about Your Mac Life, though). Also, this event is being broadcat in London and Paris. This makes me think this announcement will be for downloadable European TV shows and not the iTunes Movie Store.
But - in the spirit of contradicting myself and being hopelessly optimistic, go check out the iPod refurb store. $100 off the 5G iPods instead of $50. That makes me think they're clearing inventory.
---------------
Also - In terms of branding - Quicktime Move Store perhaps?
---------------
I'm also guessing that we'll see speed bumps to the iMac and MacBook Pro (since they're the oldest) this Tuesday. The rest we may see during Apple Expo Paris.
Keep in mind that Steve doesn't do a keynote for speed bumps. Just tech advances.
The sites that claim to have gotten an invite are French. (Not sure about Your Mac Life, though). Also, this event is being broadcat in London and Paris. This makes me think this announcement will be for downloadable European TV shows and not the iTunes Movie Store.
But - in the spirit of contradicting myself and being hopelessly optimistic, go check out the iPod refurb store. $100 off the 5G iPods instead of $50. That makes me think they're clearing inventory.
---------------
Also - In terms of branding - Quicktime Move Store perhaps?
---------------
I'm also guessing that we'll see speed bumps to the iMac and MacBook Pro (since they're the oldest) this Tuesday. The rest we may see during Apple Expo Paris.
Keep in mind that Steve doesn't do a keynote for speed bumps. Just tech advances.

Warbrain
Apr 20, 10:01 AM
I'm a pretty serious Apple fanatic and I'm willing to scrap my family's iPhones because of this. I know the government can track me anyway by watching my movement across cell towers, but this is a huge affront to privacy.
If you tie this story to the recent news from Michigan that cops there are able to suck the data off of your phone at a traffic stop, then this is really frightening.
If this is your biggest worry on people being able to track you...hmph.
Tinfoil hats are going to be all the rage here soon.
If you tie this story to the recent news from Michigan that cops there are able to suck the data off of your phone at a traffic stop, then this is really frightening.
If this is your biggest worry on people being able to track you...hmph.
Tinfoil hats are going to be all the rage here soon.

k2director
Apr 4, 12:51 PM
Very sad. Someone lost their life over something so trivial. And sad that the guard has to live with knowing he took a life. :(
I've seen this sentiment multiple times in this thread: "Oh it's so sad that the security guard has to live with the knowledge that he took a life."
I don't think that's sad. Personally, I see shooting an armed robber as a thing to celebrate, and boost self-esteem.
Not all life is sacred. If you plan to do violence to innocent people, your's isn't.
I've seen this sentiment multiple times in this thread: "Oh it's so sad that the security guard has to live with the knowledge that he took a life."
I don't think that's sad. Personally, I see shooting an armed robber as a thing to celebrate, and boost self-esteem.
Not all life is sacred. If you plan to do violence to innocent people, your's isn't.
jouster
Apr 22, 03:48 PM
Apple should produce a really light and small MacBook Air: 400 to 600 g and 7-inches. The Mac in your pocket. Always.
You have big pockets!
You have big pockets!
Dr.Gargoyle
Sep 14, 06:01 AM
I think it would be kinda cool in a retro way. Just put the numbers on the click wheel. while most people just select the person on the list. which the iPod are really good at.
How many times do you actually punch in the numbers on your cellphone today? I tend to find more or less all numbers I call from my phone book or push "call back". It is very rare that I use the keypad.
How many times do you actually punch in the numbers on your cellphone today? I tend to find more or less all numbers I call from my phone book or push "call back". It is very rare that I use the keypad.
donlphi
Sep 5, 01:24 PM
Is a streaming box really what you want? I mean, it's one thing to connect my airport express to my bose stereo system and let it play a playlist from my computer in my office, but if we have a streaming video, we still have to go to our office and start the video from the other room. If that's the case, I might as well move my computer to my living room.
They will have to have something that allows you to access your audio and video files with a remote. Maybe an aiport express with a remote control and user interface similar, but better than frontrow.
Right now a mac mini can do all of the things you need it to. You can stream video from another computer on the network, you can connect it to your T.V. and stereo. What would be the point of a new airport extreme if for $200 more you can get an entire compuer.
just some random thoughts...
They will have to have something that allows you to access your audio and video files with a remote. Maybe an aiport express with a remote control and user interface similar, but better than frontrow.
Right now a mac mini can do all of the things you need it to. You can stream video from another computer on the network, you can connect it to your T.V. and stereo. What would be the point of a new airport extreme if for $200 more you can get an entire compuer.
just some random thoughts...

milo
Sep 5, 01:05 PM
A current LCD or Plasma television with DVI or HDMI inputs can make an excellent computer monitor.
I'm sure they do. But I'm totally fine with the TV I have, I'm not the tiniest bit interested in upgrading, especially considering what the new stuff costs.
And I'd still have a keyboard and mouse in my living room, and I'd have to pull up a chair or strain my eyes from my sofa on the other side of the room. I've tried it, and I don't really like it, at least not for any uses other than just watching TV.
attempts to unify the TV and the computer have been done for the last 15 years or so without success. I give Apple a less then 10% success. Even if they succeed, the definition of success here is greatly compromise to a point of failure.
Sounds like the predictions of mp3 player success for apple. They already have a precedent for entering a marketplace that isn't going anywhere and pretty much single handedly getting it to take off.
I'm sure they do. But I'm totally fine with the TV I have, I'm not the tiniest bit interested in upgrading, especially considering what the new stuff costs.
And I'd still have a keyboard and mouse in my living room, and I'd have to pull up a chair or strain my eyes from my sofa on the other side of the room. I've tried it, and I don't really like it, at least not for any uses other than just watching TV.
attempts to unify the TV and the computer have been done for the last 15 years or so without success. I give Apple a less then 10% success. Even if they succeed, the definition of success here is greatly compromise to a point of failure.
Sounds like the predictions of mp3 player success for apple. They already have a precedent for entering a marketplace that isn't going anywhere and pretty much single handedly getting it to take off.
HecubusPro
Aug 28, 05:35 PM
There is a significantly less amount of wiggle room for them, they will now have to answer to shareholders, about why they are taking so long to roll out a product that all the other PC manufacturers are shipping.
But since the other companies (Dell, HP, etc.) aren't actually shipping their C2D laptops and systems for at least another two weeks, I don't think Apple is sweating it, and I'm betting their shareholders aren't worried either.
Apple is probably simply waiting until their shipments from overseas that are due to hit on the 5th, are actually in stores and online ready to purchase before they make the announcement. If they do announce on the 5th or 6th, they'll pobably be available to order and ship that day. In that sense, they would actually be shipping before any of the other manufacturers. If they wait until the following week, or the week after, they'll still be shipping at or about the same time as the other companies.
Apple won't be behind on shipments just because they're behind on announcements. They probably just want to have their systems available before they announce them.
But since the other companies (Dell, HP, etc.) aren't actually shipping their C2D laptops and systems for at least another two weeks, I don't think Apple is sweating it, and I'm betting their shareholders aren't worried either.
Apple is probably simply waiting until their shipments from overseas that are due to hit on the 5th, are actually in stores and online ready to purchase before they make the announcement. If they do announce on the 5th or 6th, they'll pobably be available to order and ship that day. In that sense, they would actually be shipping before any of the other manufacturers. If they wait until the following week, or the week after, they'll still be shipping at or about the same time as the other companies.
Apple won't be behind on shipments just because they're behind on announcements. They probably just want to have their systems available before they announce them.
JRM PowerPod
Sep 9, 09:03 AM
Now that they are 64bit all i need to do is find two 8 exactabyte DDR2 dimms and i'll be sweet
HecubusPro
Sep 5, 04:40 PM
Indeed it is. Microsoft is simply DEAD after 12th of September...Apple is finally gonna reach the status of market leader in media and computers...this is gonna be mindblowing.
How long after September 12th? Certainly not anytime in the forseeable future. I wouldn't even dare to speculate on such a reversal of fortune for a company like Microsoft.
Personally, I wouldn't want Apple to be that big. It's easier to lose sight of quality when your userbase is pretty much the entire world. That's not to say Apple wouldn't do it better than Microsoft, but since Apple's install base has grown, so has the problems with their products. Of course, that's just simple numbers (of which I really suck :) .) Perhaps the percentage has always been the same, but on the surface, it doesn't seem like that is the case. There are a lot of people complaining about random shut-downs on their macbooks.
How long after September 12th? Certainly not anytime in the forseeable future. I wouldn't even dare to speculate on such a reversal of fortune for a company like Microsoft.
Personally, I wouldn't want Apple to be that big. It's easier to lose sight of quality when your userbase is pretty much the entire world. That's not to say Apple wouldn't do it better than Microsoft, but since Apple's install base has grown, so has the problems with their products. Of course, that's just simple numbers (of which I really suck :) .) Perhaps the percentage has always been the same, but on the surface, it doesn't seem like that is the case. There are a lot of people complaining about random shut-downs on their macbooks.
Mainyehc
Aug 31, 07:00 PM
My crazy/he's hitting the rock again call of the day would be that on the 12th, Steve shocks the world with a redefinition of the whole mobile phone experience. Announcing the new iPod phone.
Where's my pipe?
Hey, you may be on to something there... I was about to buy a Nokia 1100 for €25 (w00t! :D ), but I think I'll just postpone that purchase. I'd gladly get rid of my 1GB Shuffle, as I already carry my cell phone with me at all times (yes, I take both with me even to the beach!).
The only downside to having an Apple cell phone is that it would attract muggers too much for my taste... But hey, I already carry my 60GB 5G iPod with me frequently, and besides, I wouldn't throw away my craptacular vintage Siemens A52 anyway (it could still serve me as a backup for nightlife ;) ).
Yeah, you could say that sometimes, I'm a sucker for monochrome stuff. If it wasn't for its meager HD, I'd have kept my oh-so-gorgeous 20GB 3G iPod with its 12pt Chicago typeface :) . And both the classic Nokia's and Siemens' interfaces, while not as intuitive as most of Apple's stuff, are not that shabby either...
Where's my pipe?
Hey, you may be on to something there... I was about to buy a Nokia 1100 for €25 (w00t! :D ), but I think I'll just postpone that purchase. I'd gladly get rid of my 1GB Shuffle, as I already carry my cell phone with me at all times (yes, I take both with me even to the beach!).
The only downside to having an Apple cell phone is that it would attract muggers too much for my taste... But hey, I already carry my 60GB 5G iPod with me frequently, and besides, I wouldn't throw away my craptacular vintage Siemens A52 anyway (it could still serve me as a backup for nightlife ;) ).
Yeah, you could say that sometimes, I'm a sucker for monochrome stuff. If it wasn't for its meager HD, I'd have kept my oh-so-gorgeous 20GB 3G iPod with its 12pt Chicago typeface :) . And both the classic Nokia's and Siemens' interfaces, while not as intuitive as most of Apple's stuff, are not that shabby either...
jagolden
Sep 16, 07:01 PM
:/why is the US so far behind Europe with this kind of technology? :/
(edit: maybe it isn't i haven't shopped for a phone in nearly a year)
Because US cell phone carriers suck. :/Because US cell phone carriers suck. :/
The real reason many foriegn cell phone providers and services are way ahead of the US is an old one:
The US has had superior LANDLINE service for decades. As foreign countries began to develop worthwhile telephone service (in telephone history, relatively recent), thye opted for more that was not locked in to landlines and the progression of technology gave them a good lead, as opposed to the US which, sure, adopted cell phone use, but the landline service infrastructure that was already in palce held them back-why shell out for new tech when we can plug the old tech and rake in the money. It's funny, the US initial lead actually turned to a disadvantage for them (us).
Europe is so far ahead of the US in what and how cell phone technolgy is used.
(edit: maybe it isn't i haven't shopped for a phone in nearly a year)
Because US cell phone carriers suck. :/Because US cell phone carriers suck. :/
The real reason many foriegn cell phone providers and services are way ahead of the US is an old one:
The US has had superior LANDLINE service for decades. As foreign countries began to develop worthwhile telephone service (in telephone history, relatively recent), thye opted for more that was not locked in to landlines and the progression of technology gave them a good lead, as opposed to the US which, sure, adopted cell phone use, but the landline service infrastructure that was already in palce held them back-why shell out for new tech when we can plug the old tech and rake in the money. It's funny, the US initial lead actually turned to a disadvantage for them (us).
Europe is so far ahead of the US in what and how cell phone technolgy is used.
milo
Sep 5, 01:53 PM
Do you know a Tivo is a computer? It has a microprocessor and runs Linux. However, they don't try to make it a computer. That is why their idea has caught on.
That, and they keep the cost low by subsidizing it with subscriptions. A box for sale has to be cheap, and a device that just streams video, no hard drive at all, could be even cheaper than a tivo.
Is a streaming box really what you want? I mean, it's one thing to connect my airport express to my bose stereo system and let it play a playlist from my computer in my office, but if we have a streaming video, we still have to go to our office and start the video from the other room. If that's the case, I might as well move my computer to my living room.
They will have to have something that allows you to access your audio and video files with a remote. Maybe an aiport express with a remote control and user interface similar, but better than frontrow.
Right now a mac mini can do all of the things you need it to. You can stream video from another computer on the network, you can connect it to your T.V. and stereo. What would be the point of a new airport extreme if for $200 more you can get an entire compuer.
just some random thoughts...
A streaming box is DEFINITELY what I want. I assume they will have a remote available for this, not having one would be a deal breaker and I doubt they'd release this half baked.
A mini can do this, but starting at $599, it's going to be more than $200 more than an airport video. And I'd much rather have my mini somewhere else in the house so I don't have to try and read the menus on my NTSC TV, or have a monitor next to my TV.
That, and they keep the cost low by subsidizing it with subscriptions. A box for sale has to be cheap, and a device that just streams video, no hard drive at all, could be even cheaper than a tivo.
Is a streaming box really what you want? I mean, it's one thing to connect my airport express to my bose stereo system and let it play a playlist from my computer in my office, but if we have a streaming video, we still have to go to our office and start the video from the other room. If that's the case, I might as well move my computer to my living room.
They will have to have something that allows you to access your audio and video files with a remote. Maybe an aiport express with a remote control and user interface similar, but better than frontrow.
Right now a mac mini can do all of the things you need it to. You can stream video from another computer on the network, you can connect it to your T.V. and stereo. What would be the point of a new airport extreme if for $200 more you can get an entire compuer.
just some random thoughts...
A streaming box is DEFINITELY what I want. I assume they will have a remote available for this, not having one would be a deal breaker and I doubt they'd release this half baked.
A mini can do this, but starting at $599, it's going to be more than $200 more than an airport video. And I'd much rather have my mini somewhere else in the house so I don't have to try and read the menus on my NTSC TV, or have a monitor next to my TV.
darklich
Apr 4, 12:27 PM
Exactly.
What a waste. You're failing to see the big picture. People willing to commit armed robbery don't go away quietly into the night once their done. They go on to commit more crimes, some of which might involve bodily harm to you or others.
What a waste. You're failing to see the big picture. People willing to commit armed robbery don't go away quietly into the night once their done. They go on to commit more crimes, some of which might involve bodily harm to you or others.
LaMerVipere
Sep 5, 02:45 PM
iTunes Movie Store http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/5757/animbouncefg0.gif
No comments:
Post a Comment