*LTD*
Apr 28, 03:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)
If you compare their investment in R&D to what they manage to churn out, it's pretty sad.
If you compare their investment in R&D to what they manage to churn out, it's pretty sad.
poppe
Aug 28, 11:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, I would welcome a new enclosure but I think that allowing the prospect of one to be the determining factor in the purchase of a machine is ridiculous. As much as I would LOVE to have a gunmetal colored mbp, if it came out tomorrow I wouldn't be upset that I have a silver one because I truly do love my machine. Apple will always continue to innovate and release new products, and IMO now that they're using intel chips the rate of obsolescence will increase (in terms of harware and performance more than appearance).
Oh yes that makes sense.
I truly and honestly think the only reason I dont praise the Powerbook look is because now look how many computers are getting that aluminum finish and trying to look like Apple... Though they fail, it doesn't mean it still makes me want a change (if that makes sense?).
Oh yes that makes sense.
I truly and honestly think the only reason I dont praise the Powerbook look is because now look how many computers are getting that aluminum finish and trying to look like Apple... Though they fail, it doesn't mean it still makes me want a change (if that makes sense?).

Deflorator
Apr 30, 03:21 PM
From iMacs there is only one (half) step to Cinema Display refresh, boy I would appreciate that... 24-isch inch with antiglare...

mmmcheese
Sep 15, 05:58 PM
A shame about scrapping the idea of a ground up design - I hope that doesn't lead to a lack of innovation. That's what really leads Apple along! Although if they just make a killer phone (I'm sure they will at some point...) it's bound to sell buckets loads!
Uber
This doesn't mean they will just re-brand a phone...it might just mean they are buying transmitters/etc. from other sources rather than engineering their own. Depending on what they buying "off the shelf," this only makes sense...why re-create the wheel?
Of course they may end up just re-branding a phone, but that doesn't really seem like the Apple thing to do.
Uber
This doesn't mean they will just re-brand a phone...it might just mean they are buying transmitters/etc. from other sources rather than engineering their own. Depending on what they buying "off the shelf," this only makes sense...why re-create the wheel?
Of course they may end up just re-branding a phone, but that doesn't really seem like the Apple thing to do.

Vegasman
Mar 30, 01:29 PM
It looks descriptive to you because there is an App Store for your Mac and there is an App Store for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. If Apple hadn't invented the term "App Store" and used it for its super successful site, you would never have heard the term, and you wouldn't know what it means.
Uh!? Anytime someone tells me there is a YYYY store, my first reaction is that it is a store that sells YYYY's. It is no different with an app store.
What would one buy at a record store?
What would one buy at a grocery store?
What would one buy at a paint store?
What would one buy at an app store?
Uh!? Anytime someone tells me there is a YYYY store, my first reaction is that it is a store that sells YYYY's. It is no different with an app store.
What would one buy at a record store?
What would one buy at a grocery store?
What would one buy at a paint store?
What would one buy at an app store?
Lord Blackadder
Mar 23, 04:49 PM
This is setting a very dangerous precedent for app removals if it goes through.
I think Apple's app-approval process is pretty arbitrary, so how much do they care about precedent in the first place? Apple giveth, and Apple taketh away. There is much bile spilled over it, but Apple's sales continue to soar.
I personally think passing around checkpoint info is protected under free speech. But, to repeat myself, anyone who is over the legal limit and uses an app to avoid a DUI is a selfish, irresponsible *******.
I think Apple's app-approval process is pretty arbitrary, so how much do they care about precedent in the first place? Apple giveth, and Apple taketh away. There is much bile spilled over it, but Apple's sales continue to soar.
I personally think passing around checkpoint info is protected under free speech. But, to repeat myself, anyone who is over the legal limit and uses an app to avoid a DUI is a selfish, irresponsible *******.

tsadi
Mar 29, 11:11 AM
I shall come back to this prediction 4 years from now, and laugh at how dumb the prediction is.
Eidorian
Jul 20, 01:22 PM
I hope nobody's brought this up because I skipped a few pages of the thread, but...
I've noticed some things with regards to pricing.
The current 1.86 GHz Yonah in the 17" iMac costs $294.
The new 2 GHz Merom costs $294.
A 2.16 GHz Merom costs $423.
A 2.16 GHz Conroe costs $224.
A 2.16 GHz Conroe is a full $70 cheaper than the 1.86 GHz Yonah in the iMac today and $70 cheaper than the 2 GHz Merom Apple would use if they went with Merom. This would allow either higher profit margins or a price drop (or they could put the extra money into something else).
If there is a power supply problem- I'm sure it won't cost $70 to increase the power supply capacity a little.
If, instead, there is both a heat and power issue- a 2.16 GHz Conroe underclocked to 2 GHz is still $70 cheaper than a 2 GHz Merom and probably outperforms it, and can be advertised as a desktop processor and completes Apple's lineup.
I'm strongly hoping for Conroe in an iMac. I also hope the iMac gets updated at WWDC. I really don't want to wait anylonger to make the purchase, and the back to school deal expires in September two days after MacExpo Paris.
From what's been said, it looks like Conroe doesn't run too hot, it just sucks too much power. However, it still saves a lot of money to use, a little which can be put in to increasing the power supply, and the rest is pure profit for Apple. It also provides a huge leap in performance.
Apple can bump the iMac from 1.86/2 GHz to 2.16/2.4 GHz. The 2.4 GHz Conroe costs $107 less than the 2 GHz Yonah in the current 20" iMac, which could even spell a price drop, additional features, or just a huge Apple profit margin.You're the first one to bring this up. Conroe is well worth the money for its processing power. Getting a higher output power supply for the iMac shouldn't be to hard. So, I really do hope Apple somehow puts a Conroe in the iMac. :D
Oh and no underclocking please. :p
I've noticed some things with regards to pricing.
The current 1.86 GHz Yonah in the 17" iMac costs $294.
The new 2 GHz Merom costs $294.
A 2.16 GHz Merom costs $423.
A 2.16 GHz Conroe costs $224.
A 2.16 GHz Conroe is a full $70 cheaper than the 1.86 GHz Yonah in the iMac today and $70 cheaper than the 2 GHz Merom Apple would use if they went with Merom. This would allow either higher profit margins or a price drop (or they could put the extra money into something else).
If there is a power supply problem- I'm sure it won't cost $70 to increase the power supply capacity a little.
If, instead, there is both a heat and power issue- a 2.16 GHz Conroe underclocked to 2 GHz is still $70 cheaper than a 2 GHz Merom and probably outperforms it, and can be advertised as a desktop processor and completes Apple's lineup.
I'm strongly hoping for Conroe in an iMac. I also hope the iMac gets updated at WWDC. I really don't want to wait anylonger to make the purchase, and the back to school deal expires in September two days after MacExpo Paris.
From what's been said, it looks like Conroe doesn't run too hot, it just sucks too much power. However, it still saves a lot of money to use, a little which can be put in to increasing the power supply, and the rest is pure profit for Apple. It also provides a huge leap in performance.
Apple can bump the iMac from 1.86/2 GHz to 2.16/2.4 GHz. The 2.4 GHz Conroe costs $107 less than the 2 GHz Yonah in the current 20" iMac, which could even spell a price drop, additional features, or just a huge Apple profit margin.You're the first one to bring this up. Conroe is well worth the money for its processing power. Getting a higher output power supply for the iMac shouldn't be to hard. So, I really do hope Apple somehow puts a Conroe in the iMac. :D
Oh and no underclocking please. :p
cube
Mar 30, 01:14 PM
Interesting. Microsoft calls these files "Programs" and always has. Nothing called an application exists in Windows, it only has programs. Seems maybe MS is a little late to this game, and they're gonna piss all over it for everyone else.
Applications are a type of program. They have been called so since the dawn of time.
Applications are a type of program. They have been called so since the dawn of time.
finalcut
Apr 19, 08:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)
I wonder what will happen here. Form the "who's suing who" infrographics I've seen, Samsung remained pretty much untouched until now.
I agree with you, mainly because, usually, Samsung develop their own stuff themself and are not known to copy others. But that time, damn Samsung, how can they say they did not!
I wonder what will happen here. Form the "who's suing who" infrographics I've seen, Samsung remained pretty much untouched until now.
I agree with you, mainly because, usually, Samsung develop their own stuff themself and are not known to copy others. But that time, damn Samsung, how can they say they did not!

ksgant
Mar 23, 04:40 PM
So...what these guys are saying is we should all go out and buy these apps now before they're pulled.
I see this being a windfall for the people that make the apps. :D
Then after they're pulled. expect them to be a featured app on the jailbroken Cydia app store.
I see this being a windfall for the people that make the apps. :D
Then after they're pulled. expect them to be a featured app on the jailbroken Cydia app store.
tigres
Apr 22, 02:25 PM
I personally could care less about this upgrade. I have have been more than satisfied with my ultimate 13" w/4g and 256 SSD. Handles all of my needs I.E. work/VMware/ all the other bells and whistles; and even have been doing my Xcode projects on it.
Seriously, I see no need or reason to want a faster more reliable machine for it's purpose; other than saying it's got an older chip inside. Maybe next year when many thunderbolt devices are in the wild, but again no biggie for me.
I may be in the minority, but for once I am very satisfied with this revision over my old Rev B.
To each his own I suppose.:)
Seriously, I see no need or reason to want a faster more reliable machine for it's purpose; other than saying it's got an older chip inside. Maybe next year when many thunderbolt devices are in the wild, but again no biggie for me.
I may be in the minority, but for once I am very satisfied with this revision over my old Rev B.
To each his own I suppose.:)

koruki
Apr 19, 03:47 PM
So what? They're already getting sued by Apple, so what's another lawsuit? Point is, contract breach or not, Samsung could cripple Apple's whole ecosystem within days by halting all processor shipments. Apple makes the vast majority on iDevices and this would kill Apple's whole economic model. And this doesn't even account for Samsungs components that go into their Macs. As a result, Apple would have no hardware to sell. They would dip into their treasure chest. It could be devastating to Apple.
Yeah cause a contract breach takes just as long to prove a IP suite. They'd get slapped so fast they wont know what hit them, not to mention other companies would see it as samsung being cowboys for mixing their two business up.
Yeah cause a contract breach takes just as long to prove a IP suite. They'd get slapped so fast they wont know what hit them, not to mention other companies would see it as samsung being cowboys for mixing their two business up.
Thunderbird
Apr 30, 03:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
Neither will be redesigned next year. Look at the length of time Apple stuck with the previous design. There are still a few years left to this "look."
As others have mentioned already, the last redesign was in the Fall of 2009. Before that was the Fall of 2007 (before that was January 2006 with the switch to Intel). The redesign cyles seem to be approx every two years. So 2011 could see another redesign, especially when the last two redesigns coincided with an OS X upgrade. That's why I keep saying look for a redesign this Fall, just before or just after Lion is released.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)
When do you estimate they will come out with the redesigned exterior?
See above answer.
They stuck with the previous design for 3-4 years. It has now been 3 years with the current look.
No, it has been two years since the previous redesign. That is when the screen sizes changed from 20" and 24" to 21.5 and 27".
Curious that everyone is clamoring for a thunderbolt-enabled machine, but there isn't a single thunderbolt drive available on the market.
I guess some people just need to feel like they have new stuff even if it's totally pointless.
Good points. Thunderbolt won't really be usable for anything until at least this Fall.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
So previous iMac design lasted 4 years...it's been 3. Previous MBP design lasted, what, 6 years? Rumors are meaningless until we see leaked shots or something (remember the iPad 2 rumors?)
I don't think that overhauling the exterior of iMac or MBP is high on Apple's priority list at the moment and I'd be surprised if it happened within the next year.
Be prepared to be surprised this Fall.
Isn't this iMac design from fall of 2009? That's less than two years.
Bingo. At least someone is paying attention to the redesign cycles.
Yep. There is little reason for Apple to fear USB 3. It's slower in both theoretical maximum speed and FAR slower in real world maximum speed. The only advantage is... Uhm... TB supports USB so... I guess there isn't one. Yes, I think USB 3 is quite possibly going to be the last iteration of USB.
Yup, I think Steve has made it loud and clear, it's Thunderbolt all the way. Apple won't be using USB 3 as an interim bridge to, or alongside Thunderbolt.
I seen it as more of a mid model refresh.
TECHNICALLY been the same since 2008.
No it hasn't. Technically, the iMac has only been the same since the last refresh, and less technically, since the last redesign--which was in the Fall of 2009.
If you mean the aluminum design, that was actually way back in 2007.
Yes, the iMac was redesigned from the white housing and S-PVA LCD panels to the aluminum housing and IPS (and TN) panels in the Fall of 2007.
The fall 2009 refresh was a big redesign. The displays were all different sizes, 21.5 and 27" and went edge to edge. This was the first time since moving to Intel that the iMacs had desktop processors instead of the previous mobile chips. It was not a trivial redesign which is why it's unlikely there will be much different about this year's updates other than ports, processors, and storage upgrades.
Excellent, you are correct. The last redesign was not trivial. And look for a possible redesign this Fall to coincide with the release of Lion. I'm not guarranteeing anything here, it's just been the pattern the last two redesigns.
Neither will be redesigned next year. Look at the length of time Apple stuck with the previous design. There are still a few years left to this "look."
As others have mentioned already, the last redesign was in the Fall of 2009. Before that was the Fall of 2007 (before that was January 2006 with the switch to Intel). The redesign cyles seem to be approx every two years. So 2011 could see another redesign, especially when the last two redesigns coincided with an OS X upgrade. That's why I keep saying look for a redesign this Fall, just before or just after Lion is released.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)
When do you estimate they will come out with the redesigned exterior?
See above answer.
They stuck with the previous design for 3-4 years. It has now been 3 years with the current look.
No, it has been two years since the previous redesign. That is when the screen sizes changed from 20" and 24" to 21.5 and 27".
Curious that everyone is clamoring for a thunderbolt-enabled machine, but there isn't a single thunderbolt drive available on the market.
I guess some people just need to feel like they have new stuff even if it's totally pointless.
Good points. Thunderbolt won't really be usable for anything until at least this Fall.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
So previous iMac design lasted 4 years...it's been 3. Previous MBP design lasted, what, 6 years? Rumors are meaningless until we see leaked shots or something (remember the iPad 2 rumors?)
I don't think that overhauling the exterior of iMac or MBP is high on Apple's priority list at the moment and I'd be surprised if it happened within the next year.
Be prepared to be surprised this Fall.
Isn't this iMac design from fall of 2009? That's less than two years.
Bingo. At least someone is paying attention to the redesign cycles.
Yep. There is little reason for Apple to fear USB 3. It's slower in both theoretical maximum speed and FAR slower in real world maximum speed. The only advantage is... Uhm... TB supports USB so... I guess there isn't one. Yes, I think USB 3 is quite possibly going to be the last iteration of USB.
Yup, I think Steve has made it loud and clear, it's Thunderbolt all the way. Apple won't be using USB 3 as an interim bridge to, or alongside Thunderbolt.
I seen it as more of a mid model refresh.
TECHNICALLY been the same since 2008.
No it hasn't. Technically, the iMac has only been the same since the last refresh, and less technically, since the last redesign--which was in the Fall of 2009.
If you mean the aluminum design, that was actually way back in 2007.
Yes, the iMac was redesigned from the white housing and S-PVA LCD panels to the aluminum housing and IPS (and TN) panels in the Fall of 2007.
The fall 2009 refresh was a big redesign. The displays were all different sizes, 21.5 and 27" and went edge to edge. This was the first time since moving to Intel that the iMacs had desktop processors instead of the previous mobile chips. It was not a trivial redesign which is why it's unlikely there will be much different about this year's updates other than ports, processors, and storage upgrades.
Excellent, you are correct. The last redesign was not trivial. And look for a possible redesign this Fall to coincide with the release of Lion. I'm not guarranteeing anything here, it's just been the pattern the last two redesigns.

Jcoz
Apr 15, 12:33 PM
Cere, on page one, you DID state that TB would (a) be mac only and (b) die and you've been backtracking terribly ever since.
When you make a statement such as "unfortunately, also bingo" you are giving your full endorsement to that statement and you have accepted that as your own opinion with no ifs, ands or buts. In case you've forgotten, you gave your full endorsement to this quote:
Since then, you've argued that what you really meant was that PC manufacturers wont support it (without proof to back up your claims) and made poor comparisons to Firewire.
Let's compare the two for a second:
FW was pushed by Apple
TB is being pushed by Apple, but more importantly Intel (whose chips power most PCs)
FW had a high per port licensing cost
TB uses a royalty free port and support will be built into future Intel chipsets (making PC implementation virtually inevitable)
FW was slower than USB on paper, but faster in reality
TB blows USB 3.0 out of the water, both on paper and in reality
Why do you keep insisting they are the same and will share the same fate? On top of that, as I mentioned earlier (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12392173&postcount=63) (and no one, including yourself has attempted to refute) TB isn't even a direct competitor with USB, it's more of a complimentary technology. You've done nothing in this thread but blow hot air.
Bingo! :D
When you make a statement such as "unfortunately, also bingo" you are giving your full endorsement to that statement and you have accepted that as your own opinion with no ifs, ands or buts. In case you've forgotten, you gave your full endorsement to this quote:
Since then, you've argued that what you really meant was that PC manufacturers wont support it (without proof to back up your claims) and made poor comparisons to Firewire.
Let's compare the two for a second:
FW was pushed by Apple
TB is being pushed by Apple, but more importantly Intel (whose chips power most PCs)
FW had a high per port licensing cost
TB uses a royalty free port and support will be built into future Intel chipsets (making PC implementation virtually inevitable)
FW was slower than USB on paper, but faster in reality
TB blows USB 3.0 out of the water, both on paper and in reality
Why do you keep insisting they are the same and will share the same fate? On top of that, as I mentioned earlier (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12392173&postcount=63) (and no one, including yourself has attempted to refute) TB isn't even a direct competitor with USB, it's more of a complimentary technology. You've done nothing in this thread but blow hot air.
Bingo! :D
twoodcc
Aug 28, 12:14 PM
I'll bet we see a Mini refresh tomorrow.
i sure hope you are correct!!
i sure hope you are correct!!
Satori
Apr 22, 01:37 AM
I really hope this happens but I have a feeling that it will be hobbled in some way. If it runs from an iTunes master copy of songs then it might preclude people uploading music that has been ripped from CDs or bought somewhere else (like Amazon).
ciTiger
Apr 11, 07:52 AM
Apple will fix it soon...
quagmire
Apr 25, 10:24 AM
Holy crap. I just finished reading the thread. Please stay off the road. You did this **** in your moms E60 M5 with 500 HP? I know where this story is heading. Soon you will take that car to an abandoned airport with 3 of your friends which then you will flip it and kill you and your friends. Or you will do that 155 MPH in a neighborhood. These two examples are true stories of 16-18 year olds kids with an E60 M5 who shared the exact same attitude as you and did those stunts. Please do not drive, learn to fly, etc until you gain the maturity to handle these machines.
You will respond to my post saying that you will never do what those people did. That you're a safe driver and claim you will never do that. Guess what pal? Those kids also claimed the exact same thing. Now four people are dead and the other is screwed.
You will respond to my post saying that you will never do what those people did. That you're a safe driver and claim you will never do that. Guess what pal? Those kids also claimed the exact same thing. Now four people are dead and the other is screwed.
zweigand
Nov 9, 04:17 PM
The store is noisy, so it is hard to say. To me neither was making a sound.
My 24" is dead quiet. I haven't heard the fans spin up once. That's including multi-hour gaming sessions and Video encoding.
My 24" is dead quiet. I haven't heard the fans spin up once. That's including multi-hour gaming sessions and Video encoding.
danielwsmithee
Apr 25, 03:00 PM
. The only foreseeable problem with the OP's suggestion is cost. Given the MB Air's price point, what happens to the prices in the MBP line?I don't think cost will be that big of a deal. My hunch is the base configuration comes with a 64GB SSD + 500 GB HD which I would be pretty happy with. Of course there will be options to upgrade to 512GB SDD and 1 TB HD for those willing to drop the cash.
Philberttheduck
Sep 12, 06:07 PM
I'm very happy about the gapless playback, and battery life, but generally all these updates are pretty disappointing.
Pretty much sums up my mood hours afterwards. At the time, I was flaming pissed/disappointed. I'm pretty much utterly disappointed by this event.
But this iPod was almost "expected," from a business standpoint. Full screen iPod and iPhone; anything short of a 60/120GB iPod lineup and I'll see it as a huge letdown.
Steve's pre-Holiday event's bar is set at infinity +1.
I blame the no-show turtleneck sweater. :D
Pretty much sums up my mood hours afterwards. At the time, I was flaming pissed/disappointed. I'm pretty much utterly disappointed by this event.
But this iPod was almost "expected," from a business standpoint. Full screen iPod and iPhone; anything short of a 60/120GB iPod lineup and I'll see it as a huge letdown.
Steve's pre-Holiday event's bar is set at infinity +1.
I blame the no-show turtleneck sweater. :D
BeyondtheTech
Mar 30, 11:23 AM
They hire lawyers. They hire linguists. They hire PR agents. They hire advertising companies. They hire survey companies. All that money and they still don't know that they should invest in doing some real research and development, and innovation instead. Brings me back to that old, tried but true, Apple commercial from the "Get a Mac" campaign...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjo629JpTyE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjo629JpTyE
bearcatrp
Apr 20, 01:02 PM
Section 4b of the software license agreement explains it all:
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone.pdf
Interesting read. Except it only mentions the iPhone. Doesn't say anything about the iPad.
Apple isn't the only one doing this though. If you have a cell phone, your tracked. But everyone should know this anyway. I peaked at some of the data on my backup (listed earlier). According to the agreement about, states as long as your device is not identifiably, they can do this. Am pretty sure somewhere in all that data your device is identified. Example: plug your iPhone, iPod or iPad in another Mac, you get the warning your device IS synced with another computer.
Will be interesting how this plays out.
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone.pdf
Interesting read. Except it only mentions the iPhone. Doesn't say anything about the iPad.
Apple isn't the only one doing this though. If you have a cell phone, your tracked. But everyone should know this anyway. I peaked at some of the data on my backup (listed earlier). According to the agreement about, states as long as your device is not identifiably, they can do this. Am pretty sure somewhere in all that data your device is identified. Example: plug your iPhone, iPod or iPad in another Mac, you get the warning your device IS synced with another computer.
Will be interesting how this plays out.
No comments:
Post a Comment