calculus
Aug 23, 05:55 PM
Putting 4 periods after a paragraph doesn't make up for no periods in the paragraph itself.
You made me laugh out loud!
You made me laugh out loud!
ksz
Jul 14, 10:07 AM
I'm not so sure that 4GHz is a given. Doesn't that pesky speed of light put a practical cap on clock frequency? At 4GHz a signal doesn't have time to cross the chip in one clock, so is there any point to such high frequencies?
You can already overclock 3.6GHz and 3.8GHz Pentiums to 4.0 GHz.
Remember that the pulse width is the reciprocal of frequency. At 4 GHz, the pulse width is 250 picoseconds. Light travels 0.000075 km in 250 picoseconds. There are 1 million mm in a km, hence light travels about 75mm in that time.
The size of the Core 2 chip is 143 square mm, or about 12mm x 12mm and getting smaller with each new process generation. At 4GHz, a single pulse can go back and forth across the chip at least 6 times.
In practice, propagation delays of this type are analyzed by CAD tools and the chip's physical layout is designed to minimize the signal path.
You can already overclock 3.6GHz and 3.8GHz Pentiums to 4.0 GHz.
Remember that the pulse width is the reciprocal of frequency. At 4 GHz, the pulse width is 250 picoseconds. Light travels 0.000075 km in 250 picoseconds. There are 1 million mm in a km, hence light travels about 75mm in that time.
The size of the Core 2 chip is 143 square mm, or about 12mm x 12mm and getting smaller with each new process generation. At 4GHz, a single pulse can go back and forth across the chip at least 6 times.
In practice, propagation delays of this type are analyzed by CAD tools and the chip's physical layout is designed to minimize the signal path.
Manic Mouse
Sep 10, 05:47 AM
The iMac is huge (relatively speaking), are you telling me such a huge enclosure won't be able to dissipitate an extra 30W or so? It is only around 30W more!
Like it or not Apple will have to somehow fit the Kentsfield into their lineup, cos their advertising campaigns are going to look very lame when Dell simply cops their "switch" campaign style and come out with a "PC" with 4 heads and a "Mac" with only 2.
When Kentfield replaces Conroes and every $999 Dell ships with quad core, it is quite hard to justify buying a dual (in Apple's case, a $2000+ quad)
I completely agree with you: Apple need to get Kentsfield/Conroe into their lineup somewhere. They are the best bang/buck chips Intel are making so it seems insane that they aren't already using Conroe.
As for thermal constraints... Well, I was a big proponent of the iMac getting Conroe and am still quite shocked they went with Merom. There was a lot of discussion before the new iMacs were released as to whether the case could handle Conroe. I think it could, and I still do. But with Kentsfield you are literally sticking TWO Conroes in there when there is some doubt as to whether it can handle one. The 24" iMac could maybe handle it, but I'm doubtful the smaller sizes could. They currently use 32W Meroms, with Kentsfield we would be talking 100W+. Maybe even as high as 130W since Conroe is 65W and Kentsfield is two Conroe dies in one package.
I personally think that a mid-tower is the only option for Apple to incorperate Conroe/Kentsfield into their lineup. Kentsfield is certainly too hot and takes too much power to go into any of their existing consumer models. It wouldn't go in the Pro since they use the Xeon chipset and will be using Clovertown.
As you say, once PC manufacturers get their hands on Kentfield the consumer Macs are going to look very anaemic.
Like it or not Apple will have to somehow fit the Kentsfield into their lineup, cos their advertising campaigns are going to look very lame when Dell simply cops their "switch" campaign style and come out with a "PC" with 4 heads and a "Mac" with only 2.
When Kentfield replaces Conroes and every $999 Dell ships with quad core, it is quite hard to justify buying a dual (in Apple's case, a $2000+ quad)
I completely agree with you: Apple need to get Kentsfield/Conroe into their lineup somewhere. They are the best bang/buck chips Intel are making so it seems insane that they aren't already using Conroe.
As for thermal constraints... Well, I was a big proponent of the iMac getting Conroe and am still quite shocked they went with Merom. There was a lot of discussion before the new iMacs were released as to whether the case could handle Conroe. I think it could, and I still do. But with Kentsfield you are literally sticking TWO Conroes in there when there is some doubt as to whether it can handle one. The 24" iMac could maybe handle it, but I'm doubtful the smaller sizes could. They currently use 32W Meroms, with Kentsfield we would be talking 100W+. Maybe even as high as 130W since Conroe is 65W and Kentsfield is two Conroe dies in one package.
I personally think that a mid-tower is the only option for Apple to incorperate Conroe/Kentsfield into their lineup. Kentsfield is certainly too hot and takes too much power to go into any of their existing consumer models. It wouldn't go in the Pro since they use the Xeon chipset and will be using Clovertown.
As you say, once PC manufacturers get their hands on Kentfield the consumer Macs are going to look very anaemic.
Hurda
Apr 11, 05:40 AM
Darn criminals.
I hope their iDevices get banned from iTunes and these terrorists will be brought before court. :D:apple:
I hope their iDevices get banned from iTunes and these terrorists will be brought before court. :D:apple:
dr Dunkel
May 3, 02:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
Meh... I was really hoping for a vastly improved Target Mode. Instead I got a seriously crippled one - no industry standard inputs and only support for a tenth of a � of the input devices on the market....
Meh... I was really hoping for a vastly improved Target Mode. Instead I got a seriously crippled one - no industry standard inputs and only support for a tenth of a � of the input devices on the market....
IJ Reilly
Aug 23, 11:09 PM
Apple could blow a hundred million in legal expenses. It's less of an instance of throwing in the towel, and more of an instance of, "You know, the way idiot judges/juries hand out settlements these days, let's just give them a paltry sum, let them think they've won, and still destroy them in the MP3 market."
Not in 20 years, they couldn't. And no matter how often it's said to the contrary, $100 million is still very serious money.
Reminds me of 1997, when Microsoft was forced to invest $150 million in Apple as part of a settlement of a patent lawsuit, a lot of people couldn't wrap their minds around the idea that Microsoft had actually lost. They did then. Apple did today.
Not in 20 years, they couldn't. And no matter how often it's said to the contrary, $100 million is still very serious money.
Reminds me of 1997, when Microsoft was forced to invest $150 million in Apple as part of a settlement of a patent lawsuit, a lot of people couldn't wrap their minds around the idea that Microsoft had actually lost. They did then. Apple did today.
scoobydoo99
Apr 20, 02:09 PM
You have no proof of this.
I'm sure they do... but for the most part they just subpoena the telecom provider for whatever records they require.
lol. they don't even have to subpoena these days. just ask nicely and the companies simply hand over anything they want (all in the name of being good patriots.) Of course, sometimes they charge the government for it:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-05-10-nsa_x.htm
I'm sure they do... but for the most part they just subpoena the telecom provider for whatever records they require.
lol. they don't even have to subpoena these days. just ask nicely and the companies simply hand over anything they want (all in the name of being good patriots.) Of course, sometimes they charge the government for it:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-05-10-nsa_x.htm
///mdriver
Sep 12, 02:35 PM
will search and quick scroll be in my ipod's next update?
h00ligan
Apr 20, 10:44 AM
Has to have some back and forth that could be tracked.
Incorrect. You're confusing it with a location device. However as traffic receivers become more pervasive and ask you to report back for data. Yes.
Gps by default is not 2 way as I understand it.
Incorrect. You're confusing it with a location device. However as traffic receivers become more pervasive and ask you to report back for data. Yes.
Gps by default is not 2 way as I understand it.
BrianMojo
Sep 5, 08:33 PM
Just downloading some of these HD trailers takes forever, and they look terrible on the displays at the apple store (tried it there only because I thought it was my computer, not the technology).
What the hell are you talking about? I don't know what HD trailers you were downloading, but they look fantastic on my screen. Also, yes, some of them take forever if you're on a slower connection but it sounds as though everyone's banking on broadband these days; it has become the rule, not the exception.
What the hell are you talking about? I don't know what HD trailers you were downloading, but they look fantastic on my screen. Also, yes, some of them take forever if you're on a slower connection but it sounds as though everyone's banking on broadband these days; it has become the rule, not the exception.
mi5moav
Aug 31, 01:56 PM
Now it is a definate Apple will be launching Quicktake HD
720p HD Video Scanning (1280 x 854)
7.1 Megapixel Digital Still Photos
H.264 Compression Technology
2.5 Inch OLED Display
6x Optical Zoom Lens / 10x Digital Zoom Lens
Record Over 6 hours of video on 60GB version
Built-in Digital Image Stabilization
Beautiful Design/less clutter(image manipulation within imovie)
SD Memory Card Compatibility
High Quality Stereo Recording (Apple Lossless)
Pre-tag chapter and image settings
USB 2.0, HDMI, Firewire
MAC/PC Compatible
Dimensions: 2.4" x 4.9" x 2.2"
720p HD Video Scanning (1280 x 854)
7.1 Megapixel Digital Still Photos
H.264 Compression Technology
2.5 Inch OLED Display
6x Optical Zoom Lens / 10x Digital Zoom Lens
Record Over 6 hours of video on 60GB version
Built-in Digital Image Stabilization
Beautiful Design/less clutter(image manipulation within imovie)
SD Memory Card Compatibility
High Quality Stereo Recording (Apple Lossless)
Pre-tag chapter and image settings
USB 2.0, HDMI, Firewire
MAC/PC Compatible
Dimensions: 2.4" x 4.9" x 2.2"
Multimedia
Sep 13, 12:16 AM
what's with all the video issues that the old 5gen canNOT be compatible with?? and what's with the pixel number?
dammit i'm totally ignorant when it comes to tech issues.....
so can any of you please bother to elaborate about the suitable file types for both the old on and the new one?
:eek:This Handbrake tutorial is pretty complete (http://www.freesmug.org/tutorial/handbrake/). But you need to substitute the H.264 max dimension of 320x240 up to 640x480 the new MAX. Trouble is, as far as I can tell, the Handbrake H.264 encode to those new dimensions yields files that won't load onto Video iPods. So far only a QT Pro no options fixed iPod export works. But those files are about 150% larger than similar non-H.264 files. I have written the author of Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/) about this problem. Hopefully it will get fixed in the next month or so - I hope.
dammit i'm totally ignorant when it comes to tech issues.....
so can any of you please bother to elaborate about the suitable file types for both the old on and the new one?
:eek:This Handbrake tutorial is pretty complete (http://www.freesmug.org/tutorial/handbrake/). But you need to substitute the H.264 max dimension of 320x240 up to 640x480 the new MAX. Trouble is, as far as I can tell, the Handbrake H.264 encode to those new dimensions yields files that won't load onto Video iPods. So far only a QT Pro no options fixed iPod export works. But those files are about 150% larger than similar non-H.264 files. I have written the author of Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/) about this problem. Hopefully it will get fixed in the next month or so - I hope.
Vantage Point
Apr 25, 06:43 PM
Fearing a design change to something like 16:9 ratio for the 2011 refresh, I bought my 2010 in late November. I really hope they remain the only computer company to not go with the 16:9 ratio. I even keep my dock parked on the side, not the bottom to get the maximum vertical space.
Other than that the current design is simple and elegant and I love it. Having a snap in slot for a second hard drive which could quickly swap to a DVD drive would be great.
Other than that the current design is simple and elegant and I love it. Having a snap in slot for a second hard drive which could quickly swap to a DVD drive would be great.
n-abounds
Sep 9, 10:03 AM
So, the video streaming to TV device... how likely do you all think it is that they'll let you stream your own video through it? If I could stream my totally legally sourced DivX movies (ahem) through it that would be awesome beyond words!
I think they'd have to let you stream anything you want over it. The only problem I could see is that maybe it wouldn't support DivX or some other formats. Quicktime doesn't support DivX without plug-ins, right?
I think they'd have to let you stream anything you want over it. The only problem I could see is that maybe it wouldn't support DivX or some other formats. Quicktime doesn't support DivX without plug-ins, right?
techficiency
Mar 29, 03:09 PM
hilarious! balmer's standing around somewhere squirting himself into a false sense of security. microsoft is a dinosaur and about as hip and cool as an 8track.
shartypants
Apr 11, 08:11 AM
I can't imagine how Apple could have thought they could keep that private key secret forever.
G4DP
Mar 22, 01:30 PM
Glad all the consumers machines get this first. All the kinks can be worked out before the MacPro gets it at the end of the year.
LaCie have started making drives etc with Cripplepeak connectivity. There are a few others.
LaCie have started making drives etc with Cripplepeak connectivity. There are a few others.
roland.g
Mar 22, 03:09 PM
I am going to be in the market to replace my 24" 2.8 rev. A aluminum iMac (Aug 2007) when these come out with a new 27". I will be consolidating to an iMac and iPad 2 since I no longer feel the need for a 13" MacBook Pro as well.
Sell the MacBook Pro and iMac to fund the new iMac or close to it. However, I will wait until later in the summer and get a 10.7 Lion pre-loaded machine. No sense in buying that close to a major OS update.
Sell the MacBook Pro and iMac to fund the new iMac or close to it. However, I will wait until later in the summer and get a 10.7 Lion pre-loaded machine. No sense in buying that close to a major OS update.
bennyhenry
Apr 20, 02:02 PM
I've just used the software on my iPhone 4 backup, and was looking at timeline and the locations. I noticed that at the same time point, the map was showing use in Swindon (where I am) and High Wycombe (65 miles away), as well as in London (80 miles away) at the next date stamp, but i've never been to either of those places ever with my iPhone.
The only thing that I can think of is because my phone is a replacement from Apple because of a faulty home button (which could be refurbs according to some sites across the net). It seems as though the backup takes the cell tower data from the phone from any point in its life, and cannot be wiped.
Any other ideas?
The only thing that I can think of is because my phone is a replacement from Apple because of a faulty home button (which could be refurbs according to some sites across the net). It seems as though the backup takes the cell tower data from the phone from any point in its life, and cannot be wiped.
Any other ideas?
DavidLeblond
Sep 5, 02:12 PM
I'm hoping for iMacs because I could care less about downloading Movies. Hell the only TV I download are the free eps. Unless you can get me 5.1 surround, DVD quality for a monthly fee that is less than Netflix... well, Netflix is still king to me. :)
cwt1nospam
Mar 16, 09:19 PM
It this utter ignorance and false sense of security in the Mac user base that I would use to my advantage if I were a cyber-criminal.
Many have tried. Most — probably all, but I'll leave that open — have failed. I can be completely ignorant or completely aware, but my options remain the same: perform system updates as they become available.
AV software is an unnecessary expense both monetarily and computationally. It offers no additional protection beyond that provided by the OS, and if some day some one does develop a successful virus I'll probably download the patch from Apple long before the virus ever attempts to compromise my system, so even then AV software is still a waste of money and computing power.
By the way, I've been using OS X since "Cheetah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X)" in March of 2001. Ever since then I've been told that I need to prepare for the day when the OS would come under attack. Here we are ten years later and I'm still waiting. I will not be surprised if I'm still waiting in 2021.
Many have tried. Most — probably all, but I'll leave that open — have failed. I can be completely ignorant or completely aware, but my options remain the same: perform system updates as they become available.
AV software is an unnecessary expense both monetarily and computationally. It offers no additional protection beyond that provided by the OS, and if some day some one does develop a successful virus I'll probably download the patch from Apple long before the virus ever attempts to compromise my system, so even then AV software is still a waste of money and computing power.
By the way, I've been using OS X since "Cheetah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X)" in March of 2001. Ever since then I've been told that I need to prepare for the day when the OS would come under attack. Here we are ten years later and I'm still waiting. I will not be surprised if I'm still waiting in 2021.
Squire
Sep 3, 07:13 PM
This may be a really dumb question, but when the new MBP comes out, do y'all think it'll stay aroudn the same price range or increase?:confused:
I'd guess stay the same or maybe even decrease depending on the price Apple gets on Merom chips.
-Squire
I'd guess stay the same or maybe even decrease depending on the price Apple gets on Merom chips.
-Squire
pyroza
Apr 25, 06:19 PM
Getting rid of the optical drive would be stupid. No way to burn CDs (yes, I buy CDs because I like supporting artists and I like higher quality music) and no way to watch DVDs (no DVD player or TV here in my dorm room).
chuckles:)
Aug 31, 02:52 PM
I wonder if it will still be called the iTunes Music Store?
Or will they even bother calling it iTunes at all... :p
Or will they even bother calling it iTunes at all... :p
No comments:
Post a Comment