Adidas Addict
Apr 25, 01:29 PM
Umm, you do realize the processor can be 10000000x faster, the system is still completely hammed by the 5600rpm hard drive they put in there. Most tasks are faster on an Air then a 17" Pro. And if you're doing heavy lifting get a Mac Pro. People who bought the new processors don't enjoy the benefits 90% of the time.
You must be a spec sheet reader, not someone who intelligently analyzes what they buy.
5600rpm? You're just wrong BTW. I had the 2010 SSD MBA and my current base 13" MBP is as fast at just about everything apart from booting, which only gets done every software update.
You must be a spec sheet reader, not someone who intelligently analyzes what they buy.
5600rpm? You're just wrong BTW. I had the 2010 SSD MBA and my current base 13" MBP is as fast at just about everything apart from booting, which only gets done every software update.
LarryC
Apr 30, 11:35 PM
Aurichie,
Thank you, for your comments. You make some very valid points. I don't really know much about this whole cloud storage thing. I suppose I really need to read up on that. Is this just another name for something like the commercials I am hearing a lot lately about a company called carbonite? Just an offsite storage method that we pay a yearly fee for? If so, then I could certainly see a real benefit to something like that. I currently have over 132GB of iTunes media. I know it's a lot. I have a huge number of audio books, an even larger Podcast collection and a pretty good amount of music. I will have to look into this cloud storage and see what it offers. Thanks again.
Thank you, for your comments. You make some very valid points. I don't really know much about this whole cloud storage thing. I suppose I really need to read up on that. Is this just another name for something like the commercials I am hearing a lot lately about a company called carbonite? Just an offsite storage method that we pay a yearly fee for? If so, then I could certainly see a real benefit to something like that. I currently have over 132GB of iTunes media. I know it's a lot. I have a huge number of audio books, an even larger Podcast collection and a pretty good amount of music. I will have to look into this cloud storage and see what it offers. Thanks again.
guet
Nov 13, 05:08 PM
Obviously the images are copyrighted by Apple, and those images they don't want people using. Ok, well, that is their rights, they designed them and copyrighted them.
For the benefit of others who don't bother to read the article, the images in question are provided by a system API on OS X. The API is *provided* to give developers images they can use to represent the current computer, and is supposed to be used that way. All RA have done is used those same images to transmit from the desktop to the iPhone, to show the user which computer they're connecting to.
Some idiot reviewer at Apple has seen the images and decided that since they're displayed on an iPhone they're infringing one of the many incredibly vague rules in the SDK. Given the completely borked review process, it's unlikely to be rectified, and has wasted a lot of everyone's time - there's no way to know in advance which rules the reviewer may decide to impose - almost every app could be seen to infringe one of them. Like the iPhone book app rejection and many others for different obscure reasons, this is a case of a sensible rule interpreted in an insane way.
Can't blame the developers at all for walking away from the frustrating, capricious waste of time which is iTunes store approvals, and good on them for publicising this; taking three months to even give a firm reason for rejection is a real failure on Apple's part, and the entire process is a train wreck.
If Apple doesn't defend their copyright, then they can lose it, so they HAVE to fight for it.
I think you're confusing copyright and Trademarks. This is not the case with copyright at all.
For the benefit of others who don't bother to read the article, the images in question are provided by a system API on OS X. The API is *provided* to give developers images they can use to represent the current computer, and is supposed to be used that way. All RA have done is used those same images to transmit from the desktop to the iPhone, to show the user which computer they're connecting to.
Some idiot reviewer at Apple has seen the images and decided that since they're displayed on an iPhone they're infringing one of the many incredibly vague rules in the SDK. Given the completely borked review process, it's unlikely to be rectified, and has wasted a lot of everyone's time - there's no way to know in advance which rules the reviewer may decide to impose - almost every app could be seen to infringe one of them. Like the iPhone book app rejection and many others for different obscure reasons, this is a case of a sensible rule interpreted in an insane way.
Can't blame the developers at all for walking away from the frustrating, capricious waste of time which is iTunes store approvals, and good on them for publicising this; taking three months to even give a firm reason for rejection is a real failure on Apple's part, and the entire process is a train wreck.
If Apple doesn't defend their copyright, then they can lose it, so they HAVE to fight for it.
I think you're confusing copyright and Trademarks. This is not the case with copyright at all.
centauratlas
Apr 4, 12:43 PM
Very true. I said before "Chula Vista is NOT La Jolla!" LOL
just fyi, being from san diego. Otay Mesa/Otay ranch is only 5-10 minutes from the Mexican border/Tijuana
just fyi, being from san diego. Otay Mesa/Otay ranch is only 5-10 minutes from the Mexican border/Tijuana
Silentwave
Jul 19, 04:03 AM
The only problem with Conroe vs. Merom in an iMac is the heat production. I am sure it is possible to keep an iMac with a Conroe cool enough. What I think is very hard to achieve is to keep it cool and quiet at the same time. I have never, ever _heard_ the iMac in my office, and that is really nice.
Of course it would be possible to put something into the Energy Saver Preferences like a "Keep Quiet" option. If selected, processing power could be cut down when the iMac gets too hot to be cooled down without making much noise. You would still have the potential to get full performance if you choose so.
Called intel SpeedStep, implemented in all Core/Core 2 processors.
Of course it would be possible to put something into the Energy Saver Preferences like a "Keep Quiet" option. If selected, processing power could be cut down when the iMac gets too hot to be cooled down without making much noise. You would still have the potential to get full performance if you choose so.
Called intel SpeedStep, implemented in all Core/Core 2 processors.
mrkramer
Apr 17, 02:13 AM
why would I want to pay someone $17 an hour to a job a monkey is almost qualified to do? Sounds like an opportunity to hire less people, or jack my prices up. A job is worth simply what a job is worth. Period. If I'm trying to offer services at competitive prices, and someone is willing to bag groceries for $3 an hour, then they should be ALLOWED to. Rather than me just choose to hire nobody and using automated checkouts.
What happens then? More people find jobs, and prices go down. $3 dollars suddenly buys you a subway sandwich. # of consumers goes up bc more people are employed, which brings in more revenue, causes more hiring etc.
Also, people who do want to make $10 bucks an hour are forced to either be productive or learn something useful, which is good for everyone, plus that $10 is worth more now bc of deflation. Deflation would also drive interest rates on loans down bc the money you pay back is worth more.
Best case scenario, taxes are low at this point, and the government isn't a handout machine, so people feel the need to donate to an EFFICIENT charity. Rather than to the government, which is the most inefficient entity on the planet.
You do realize that one of the main reasons why the great depression was so bad was because Hoover was so worried about inflation that he caused deflation right? With deflation what you have is nobody is buying because if they wait then they can get something for cheaper and the economy suffers as a result. How many people do you think would buy iPhones if they new that next week there was going to be a price drop?
US government regulations for increasing gas efficiency has resulted in car companies making vehicles lighter at rate beyond evolving the technology to maintain safety, which has resulted in an average of 10,000 avoidable deaths per year since the early 70's
But hey, maybe that fraction of environmental impact we have that's causing that fraction of a global degree change might have been marginally altered. Maybe. And it's only cost us ~300,000 lives so far. Thank you government! Just tack that onto the millions you killed by restricting DDT use, and you can further brag about your death toll
If you are going to make a claim like that you really should provide a source.
What happens then? More people find jobs, and prices go down. $3 dollars suddenly buys you a subway sandwich. # of consumers goes up bc more people are employed, which brings in more revenue, causes more hiring etc.
Also, people who do want to make $10 bucks an hour are forced to either be productive or learn something useful, which is good for everyone, plus that $10 is worth more now bc of deflation. Deflation would also drive interest rates on loans down bc the money you pay back is worth more.
Best case scenario, taxes are low at this point, and the government isn't a handout machine, so people feel the need to donate to an EFFICIENT charity. Rather than to the government, which is the most inefficient entity on the planet.
You do realize that one of the main reasons why the great depression was so bad was because Hoover was so worried about inflation that he caused deflation right? With deflation what you have is nobody is buying because if they wait then they can get something for cheaper and the economy suffers as a result. How many people do you think would buy iPhones if they new that next week there was going to be a price drop?
US government regulations for increasing gas efficiency has resulted in car companies making vehicles lighter at rate beyond evolving the technology to maintain safety, which has resulted in an average of 10,000 avoidable deaths per year since the early 70's
But hey, maybe that fraction of environmental impact we have that's causing that fraction of a global degree change might have been marginally altered. Maybe. And it's only cost us ~300,000 lives so far. Thank you government! Just tack that onto the millions you killed by restricting DDT use, and you can further brag about your death toll
If you are going to make a claim like that you really should provide a source.
mazola
Sep 5, 10:29 PM
This bodes well.
Wasn't the tagline for the last Apple Special Event "It's Leather"?
Wasn't the tagline for the last Apple Special Event "It's Leather"?
aurichie
Apr 19, 07:44 AM
Google actually doesn't, being an industry newcomer and all (they only appeared at the end of the 90s in the industry). That is one of their Achilles' heels.
They have plenty of patents. It wasn't until the 90s that the patent madness really started with software. Google is also leading the bidding for a large portfolio of mobile patents to protect them against Apple and Microsoft.
They have plenty of patents. It wasn't until the 90s that the patent madness really started with software. Google is also leading the bidding for a large portfolio of mobile patents to protect them against Apple and Microsoft.
jacg
Sep 14, 02:14 AM
Wouldn't the scroll wheel be difficult to use right at the bottom of the device like that?
MuDPHuDStudent
Mar 29, 12:26 PM
More people buy smartphones. So Apple could sell more iPhones and have a lower market share.
Looks like they predict a 20% year on year growth for smartphones, which is quite high!
Oh, okay, got it. Thanks! For some reason I thought they were talking about growth rate in market share and not in total sales.
Looks like they predict a 20% year on year growth for smartphones, which is quite high!
Oh, okay, got it. Thanks! For some reason I thought they were talking about growth rate in market share and not in total sales.
iMacZealot
Sep 18, 12:18 AM
google seems to just keep giving me results that say either:
"send it to <insert generic dodgy address here> and i will unlock it"
"you can't do it"
"you need an SPC code from the carrier."
"you need a null cable"
my point is. you cant just walk into a SonyEricsson (or nokia, etc) store, buy a phone and say "im going to use this on xyz CDMA carrier"
I thought you wanted the greatest honest to goodness top of the line phone! Why would you want to keep your old phone if you switch to a new carrier?
"send it to <insert generic dodgy address here> and i will unlock it"
"you can't do it"
"you need an SPC code from the carrier."
"you need a null cable"
my point is. you cant just walk into a SonyEricsson (or nokia, etc) store, buy a phone and say "im going to use this on xyz CDMA carrier"
I thought you wanted the greatest honest to goodness top of the line phone! Why would you want to keep your old phone if you switch to a new carrier?
xxjudgmentxx
Mar 22, 01:48 PM
Better idea: add an ExpressCard slot so I can put eSATA or USB3 on my iMac. Or you know...put USB3 & eSATA on my iMac for me *hint hint Apple*
crlosg2
May 3, 01:07 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/03/2011-imac-notes-magic-trackpad-option-display-connectivity-boot-camp-update/)
In the wake of today's release of new iMacs (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/03/apple-releases-new-sandy-bridge-quad-core-imacs-with-thunderbolt/), a number of tidbits about the new models have been surfacing.
Article Link: 2011 iMac Notes: Magic Trackpad Option, Display Connectivity, Boot Camp Update (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/03/2011-imac-notes-magic-trackpad-option-display-connectivity-boot-camp-update/)
Did anyone notice that it has an IPS display?
http://www.apple.com/imac/features.html#displays
In the wake of today's release of new iMacs (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/03/apple-releases-new-sandy-bridge-quad-core-imacs-with-thunderbolt/), a number of tidbits about the new models have been surfacing.
Article Link: 2011 iMac Notes: Magic Trackpad Option, Display Connectivity, Boot Camp Update (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/03/2011-imac-notes-magic-trackpad-option-display-connectivity-boot-camp-update/)
Did anyone notice that it has an IPS display?
http://www.apple.com/imac/features.html#displays
Harthansen
Sep 12, 04:07 PM
This is suppose to be a "Media Event"?
They need to get rid of that little useless iPod 4:3 screen. Put in at least an anamorphic 720x480 widescreen model. That little iPod screen will keep me without any interest in any ipod above the Nano. Speaking of the nano... Is the new nano suppose to be cutting edge? It has the same look as the iPod mini. So 3 years ago! Where did the cutting edge go?
Itunes 7 Woo Hoo!
Expensive low quality movies. Double Woo Hoo! Amazon has actual DVD quality movies, for the same price range, and a much better selection. iTunes is only ahead now with the cool interface, but still the technology is not improving as fast as the competition.
Apple is in a slow fall...
I love Mac's, and will always own one. However, the Intel Mac's are buggy as hell. (Still Not Compareable to Windows) The iPod's are not as good as the PSP, except for the large hard drive (and the ease of iTunes).
$4.99 Atari quality Games??
Are you kidding me? I wouldn't waste my time downloading them for free! Never mind 5 bucks for Tetris!! Boo. I say Boo, Mr Jobs. It's like Apple isn't trying anymore. Steve wake T.F. up! What are you doing? You're getting lazy in your old age!
-Hart Hansen
http://www.myspace.com/harthansen
... generally all these updates are pretty disappointing.
They need to get rid of that little useless iPod 4:3 screen. Put in at least an anamorphic 720x480 widescreen model. That little iPod screen will keep me without any interest in any ipod above the Nano. Speaking of the nano... Is the new nano suppose to be cutting edge? It has the same look as the iPod mini. So 3 years ago! Where did the cutting edge go?
Itunes 7 Woo Hoo!
Expensive low quality movies. Double Woo Hoo! Amazon has actual DVD quality movies, for the same price range, and a much better selection. iTunes is only ahead now with the cool interface, but still the technology is not improving as fast as the competition.
Apple is in a slow fall...
I love Mac's, and will always own one. However, the Intel Mac's are buggy as hell. (Still Not Compareable to Windows) The iPod's are not as good as the PSP, except for the large hard drive (and the ease of iTunes).
$4.99 Atari quality Games??
Are you kidding me? I wouldn't waste my time downloading them for free! Never mind 5 bucks for Tetris!! Boo. I say Boo, Mr Jobs. It's like Apple isn't trying anymore. Steve wake T.F. up! What are you doing? You're getting lazy in your old age!
-Hart Hansen
http://www.myspace.com/harthansen
... generally all these updates are pretty disappointing.
LimeiBook86
Sep 12, 05:09 PM
I just quit iTunes, and reopened it. I got a message about the new iPod update. So now everyone should be able to update their iPod without restoring it. :D
Update: I just noticed that when connected to the computer the iPod's display is now a dimmer backlight. I like that, not as bright. This is very good :) :D
Update: I just noticed that when connected to the computer the iPod's display is now a dimmer backlight. I like that, not as bright. This is very good :) :D
Full of Win
Apr 4, 11:57 AM
Headshot - OUTSTANDING.
It sounds as though he was DRT, but I hope this scumbag suffered some before his dirt nap was about to begin.
It sounds as though he was DRT, but I hope this scumbag suffered some before his dirt nap was about to begin.
Proud Liberal
Sep 12, 02:33 PM
I hope Apple releases an iPod software update so those of us who already own 5th generation iPods can take advantage of all these new features.
I just checked on the Apple site, and there isn't a new iPod updater to include the new software updates for the original 5G iPods.
I just checked on the Apple site, and there isn't a new iPod updater to include the new software updates for the original 5G iPods.
3N16MA
Mar 30, 01:47 PM
But it is an "app store".
According to Microsoft it's a market. No one calls the local farmers market a store yet everyone knows you can purchase products there.
According to Microsoft it's a market. No one calls the local farmers market a store yet everyone knows you can purchase products there.
AlBDamned
Aug 23, 04:58 PM
A little-known company, and that was to create it's product. If apple buys one of their largest competitors, that will raise a few eyebrows.
Largest in a sense but Creative is hardly a competitor. The largest out of 25% is substantial in everyday terms but I think it's safe to assume the MS Zune would have destroyed their market share. And I wouldn't have cared if this lawsuit had flattened creative (as it was due to do before they won the patent filings).
Creative make feature-filled products but they lack a) finesse and b)the iTunes music store.
If Creative hadn't won the patent fight they would have already filed for bankruptcy by now.
Largest in a sense but Creative is hardly a competitor. The largest out of 25% is substantial in everyday terms but I think it's safe to assume the MS Zune would have destroyed their market share. And I wouldn't have cared if this lawsuit had flattened creative (as it was due to do before they won the patent filings).
Creative make feature-filled products but they lack a) finesse and b)the iTunes music store.
If Creative hadn't won the patent fight they would have already filed for bankruptcy by now.
vincenz
Mar 29, 01:37 PM
I bet these same analysts can predict lottery numbers for the next 4 years too.
SPUY767
Sep 10, 08:16 AM
The iMac is huge (relatively speaking), are you telling me such a huge enclosure won't be able to dissipitate an extra 30W or so? It is only around 30W more!
Like it or not Apple will have to somehow fit the Kentsfield into their lineup, cos their advertising campaigns are going to look very lame when Dell simply cops their "switch" campaign style and come out with a "PC" with 4 heads and a "Mac" with only 2.
When Kentfield replaces Conroes and every $999 Dell ships with quad core, it is quite hard to justify buying a dual (in Apple's case, a $2000+ quad)
The current 900$ dells don't even come with a Core based processor, so I doubt that a "Core-Quadro" is in the future for any 900$ dell. Bottom line will always be, most of the time, you get exactly what you pay for.
Like it or not Apple will have to somehow fit the Kentsfield into their lineup, cos their advertising campaigns are going to look very lame when Dell simply cops their "switch" campaign style and come out with a "PC" with 4 heads and a "Mac" with only 2.
When Kentfield replaces Conroes and every $999 Dell ships with quad core, it is quite hard to justify buying a dual (in Apple's case, a $2000+ quad)
The current 900$ dells don't even come with a Core based processor, so I doubt that a "Core-Quadro" is in the future for any 900$ dell. Bottom line will always be, most of the time, you get exactly what you pay for.
kresh
Sep 19, 03:10 PM
Looks like Unbox is getting slammed by CNN
After reading the whole article, I get the feeling that Apple will be slammed in this Thursday's follow-up article about iTS.
edit: Dang it I can't spell.
After reading the whole article, I get the feeling that Apple will be slammed in this Thursday's follow-up article about iTS.
edit: Dang it I can't spell.
Cheffy Dave
Apr 22, 03:20 PM
You have been pretty much dead on in the past HH so I shall yield to your wisdom. (I just downed another shot of that cheap canadian swill I've been drinking in your name).
never go with swill, always go with Makers Mark:eek:, or better yet Makers Mark "42";):D:cool:
never go with swill, always go with Makers Mark:eek:, or better yet Makers Mark "42";):D:cool:
silverblue3
Aug 28, 12:15 PM
Assuming they release it tomorrow, would it be available at the apple store right away(not the online store)? :confused:
No comments:
Post a Comment