kazmac
May 3, 01:47 PM
If I had a need and wasn't blinded by the 27" I'd definitely jump for one. But I really don't have a need for iMacs any more but I am seriously impressed by today's release.
That Engadget spread is frightening except for video/graphic designer folks who could use all that screen real estate. My eyes are shut cowering over the might and GLARE from those monitors. :D
That Engadget spread is frightening except for video/graphic designer folks who could use all that screen real estate. My eyes are shut cowering over the might and GLARE from those monitors. :D
Crawn2003
Apr 25, 02:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)
Wow, your mom willingly caused a wreck, sued the guy, and you are proud of it. Man, you and your family are just pathetic.:rolleyes:
I really don't think it is necessary to call me or any member of my family "pathetic." There's nothing wrong with manipulating the system to your advantage, if you do it for a valid purpose (such as teaching a crappy driver a lesson).
-Don
Unless someone uses the system against you and to their advantage, then I bet you'd lose your cool and be crying foul.
Wow, your mom willingly caused a wreck, sued the guy, and you are proud of it. Man, you and your family are just pathetic.:rolleyes:
I really don't think it is necessary to call me or any member of my family "pathetic." There's nothing wrong with manipulating the system to your advantage, if you do it for a valid purpose (such as teaching a crappy driver a lesson).
-Don
Unless someone uses the system against you and to their advantage, then I bet you'd lose your cool and be crying foul.
Multimedia
Aug 28, 06:41 PM
Post #20 Page 1 Conroe cannot be dropped in to Yonah MB only merom.Not in MacBook nor MacBook Pros because they have no socket. You can only upgrade mini and iMac with Merom because only they both have compatible sockets. :rolleyes:
Keep in mind that a 2.33GHz Merom costs almost as much as a new mini. But it will run way faster. Hope the mini's cooling system can handle the higher temperature. Good luck all you brave upgraders.
Core 2 Duo Product Line
Model....Frequency........MSRP
T7600...2.33 GHz-4L2...$637
T7400...2.16 GHz-4L2...$432
T7200...2.00 GHz-4L2...$294
T5600...1.83 GHz-2L2...$241
T5500...1.66 GHz-2L2...$209
Keep in mind that a 2.33GHz Merom costs almost as much as a new mini. But it will run way faster. Hope the mini's cooling system can handle the higher temperature. Good luck all you brave upgraders.
Core 2 Duo Product Line
Model....Frequency........MSRP
T7600...2.33 GHz-4L2...$637
T7400...2.16 GHz-4L2...$432
T7200...2.00 GHz-4L2...$294
T5600...1.83 GHz-2L2...$241
T5500...1.66 GHz-2L2...$209
tsugaru
Mar 22, 03:08 PM
Now I can rid myself of my 27" i7 2009 iMac.
Things that I would see/would like to see on the new iMacs:
- Thunderbolt (2 ports would be nice)
- Target DisplayPort Mode with HDMI + HDMI audio in, without needing to fully power up the entire computer (and a toggle that doesn't require an Apple keyboard)
- USB3 (I know Intel isn't natively putting USB3 on their chipsets until Ivy Bridge, but Apple could do the right thing and add this)
- get rid of the internal speakers as an option for more cooling
- at least a Radeon 6850 or GeForce GTX 560 Ti (preferably the nVidia card for CUDA/HW accelerated stuff) with at least 1 (2 please) GB of GDDR5 (I'm still boggled why they even offered a 256MB 6490 on the MacBook Pro)
- easily accessible 2.5" port for an SSD (doubt it)
- i7-2600 at the high end (Apple won't sell the K version, unless they go nuts and allow overclocking)
- a side mounted USB port or 2 would be nice, hell, more USB ports period (6-8) would be nice
- a second Firewire 800 (or 1600 if Apple is feeling frisky) port
- matte screen option (this, like the 2.5" bay, has a snowballs' chance in hell)
- Blu-Ray (see my note on the matte screen)
Wonder if Apple will allow for the full 32GB support that the Sandy Bridge processors can fully take, and the DDR3-1600 speeds, since they are limiting both on the MacBook Pros at the moment.
Things that I would see/would like to see on the new iMacs:
- Thunderbolt (2 ports would be nice)
- Target DisplayPort Mode with HDMI + HDMI audio in, without needing to fully power up the entire computer (and a toggle that doesn't require an Apple keyboard)
- USB3 (I know Intel isn't natively putting USB3 on their chipsets until Ivy Bridge, but Apple could do the right thing and add this)
- get rid of the internal speakers as an option for more cooling
- at least a Radeon 6850 or GeForce GTX 560 Ti (preferably the nVidia card for CUDA/HW accelerated stuff) with at least 1 (2 please) GB of GDDR5 (I'm still boggled why they even offered a 256MB 6490 on the MacBook Pro)
- easily accessible 2.5" port for an SSD (doubt it)
- i7-2600 at the high end (Apple won't sell the K version, unless they go nuts and allow overclocking)
- a side mounted USB port or 2 would be nice, hell, more USB ports period (6-8) would be nice
- a second Firewire 800 (or 1600 if Apple is feeling frisky) port
- matte screen option (this, like the 2.5" bay, has a snowballs' chance in hell)
- Blu-Ray (see my note on the matte screen)
Wonder if Apple will allow for the full 32GB support that the Sandy Bridge processors can fully take, and the DDR3-1600 speeds, since they are limiting both on the MacBook Pros at the moment.
Hattig
Mar 29, 12:40 PM
using the keyboard, how quaint
Far faster than using the mouse. Mac OS X is very good at providing keyboard shortcuts, far better than Windows, although that may have changed with Windows 7.
I don't even get the point of your snarky comment. You know damn well that the functions are also available via the menus and right mouse button too.
Far faster than using the mouse. Mac OS X is very good at providing keyboard shortcuts, far better than Windows, although that may have changed with Windows 7.
I don't even get the point of your snarky comment. You know damn well that the functions are also available via the menus and right mouse button too.
etoiles
Sep 15, 07:15 PM
It's a stupid law and not enforced. I talk on my phone all the time, while driving a stick shift with no problems. You just have to be willing to take the phone away from your ear when you need two hands.
...this law just got passed (today?). It won't be enforced until July next year, I think.
I wouldn't say it is stupid. The other day, I saw a woman driving a big SUV, a cellphone in one hand and an icecream in the other :eek:
...this law just got passed (today?). It won't be enforced until July next year, I think.
I wouldn't say it is stupid. The other day, I saw a woman driving a big SUV, a cellphone in one hand and an icecream in the other :eek:
rtdunham
Mar 23, 05:58 PM
I actually agree. Pull 'em. It may be censorship, but it's dangerous not to.
Seems to me if it's NOT censorship to prohibit yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre, it shouldn't be censorship to ban yelling "DUI stop" on the crowded highways we stage our lives on daily (see what I did there?). ;)
I say pull the apps.
Doesn't matter what party a senator is from , they are all liars and cheats.
Gosh, maybe we should ban stereotyping, too. :)
Seems to me if it's NOT censorship to prohibit yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre, it shouldn't be censorship to ban yelling "DUI stop" on the crowded highways we stage our lives on daily (see what I did there?). ;)
I say pull the apps.
Doesn't matter what party a senator is from , they are all liars and cheats.
Gosh, maybe we should ban stereotyping, too. :)
aswitcher
Sep 15, 06:36 PM
I'll be very tempted if it has;
3MP
All the display info in the latest iPods
BT
4-8 GB
Full iLife intergration (iSync, iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, Address book (with pictures), Mail)
Earphones (Pref BT and acts as hands free)
Desire
3G?
iChat with BT for Audio?
Widgets?
WiFi
IR remote feature
Light / Flash
3MP
All the display info in the latest iPods
BT
4-8 GB
Full iLife intergration (iSync, iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, Address book (with pictures), Mail)
Earphones (Pref BT and acts as hands free)
Desire
3G?
iChat with BT for Audio?
Widgets?
WiFi
IR remote feature
Light / Flash
Dorv
Apr 11, 08:01 AM
Care to actually show me what app that will actually do what I was talking about? :rolleyes:
I want to play music from iTunes on my Mac as the source, and multiple airplay devices as the target. Currently I can only play to Airport Expresses and Apple TVs (and upcoming Airplay certified speakers). I want Apple to include all iOS devices to that list of target devices.
Airfoil does this, no?
I want to play music from iTunes on my Mac as the source, and multiple airplay devices as the target. Currently I can only play to Airport Expresses and Apple TVs (and upcoming Airplay certified speakers). I want Apple to include all iOS devices to that list of target devices.
Airfoil does this, no?
CylonGlitch
Nov 13, 03:59 PM
Again, as I have said previously, the way these images/icons came about was USING OS X APIs.
That's how they're wrong.
w00master
Because they are NO LONGER USING THE API! They give the rights to use the API to call and display the image. It doesn't give them the right to take that image and use it for something else outside of the context it was meant to be used.
That's how they're wrong.
w00master
Because they are NO LONGER USING THE API! They give the rights to use the API to call and display the image. It doesn't give them the right to take that image and use it for something else outside of the context it was meant to be used.
simon.hibbs
Sep 1, 07:06 AM
Core 2 Duo will be the star.
End of Core Solo minis.
With you so far, but I don't think Core 2 Duo is realy all that much of a big deal for Apple in the grand scheme of things. It's a small speed bump, with 64 bit as a bonus extra.
All new redesigned MacBook Pro.
All new iMac design with Conroe inside.
iTunes Media Store Movie Downloads.
I don't believe any of this. The intel MacBook Pros just came out, and the main advantage of the 2 Duo is it's socet compatible with it's predecessor. Why screw aroud with a proven design, when there's absolutely no need. You do that sort of thing when the chipset and whatnot changes and you have to redesign the internals anyway.
The same goes for the iMac, it's a great design. They had a chance to rev the designs when they moved to intel and chose not to. They're not going to rework the internals now just for the sake of it. The next opportunity for that is with the next major rework of the mainboard and peripheral connections, whenever that will be.
As for movie download, it's possible but I think it would be a premature move. Further expansion of their TV show range is much more likely as it fits the casual listening/watching pattern of iPod owners.
Finaly, Merom whatnot are being very much overhyped. The main tech advancements for most users came with Core Duo. iMac and mac Mini prices dropped in the UK in the summer so when Core 2 Duo gets announced you can bet they'll be back up at the release price of the respective hardware platform (iMac, Mini, PBP, etc). Thus you will get more power, but you'll pay for it so bang for buck wise I realy don't think it will make a massive difference.
Simon Hibbs
End of Core Solo minis.
With you so far, but I don't think Core 2 Duo is realy all that much of a big deal for Apple in the grand scheme of things. It's a small speed bump, with 64 bit as a bonus extra.
All new redesigned MacBook Pro.
All new iMac design with Conroe inside.
iTunes Media Store Movie Downloads.
I don't believe any of this. The intel MacBook Pros just came out, and the main advantage of the 2 Duo is it's socet compatible with it's predecessor. Why screw aroud with a proven design, when there's absolutely no need. You do that sort of thing when the chipset and whatnot changes and you have to redesign the internals anyway.
The same goes for the iMac, it's a great design. They had a chance to rev the designs when they moved to intel and chose not to. They're not going to rework the internals now just for the sake of it. The next opportunity for that is with the next major rework of the mainboard and peripheral connections, whenever that will be.
As for movie download, it's possible but I think it would be a premature move. Further expansion of their TV show range is much more likely as it fits the casual listening/watching pattern of iPod owners.
Finaly, Merom whatnot are being very much overhyped. The main tech advancements for most users came with Core Duo. iMac and mac Mini prices dropped in the UK in the summer so when Core 2 Duo gets announced you can bet they'll be back up at the release price of the respective hardware platform (iMac, Mini, PBP, etc). Thus you will get more power, but you'll pay for it so bang for buck wise I realy don't think it will make a massive difference.
Simon Hibbs
technicolor
Sep 12, 03:35 PM
Either the video playback code was improved to be less power hungry (maybe it uses less CPU, maybe it doesn't need to spin the disk as much), or an improved video chip was put in which uses less power.
Thanks for that explanation.
Thanks for that explanation.
Lesser Evets
Apr 30, 02:13 PM
:eek: How in the world can you make that statement? My 50gb Blu-Ray discs would disagree with you.
I understand where you are coming from. With your feet planted in set in concrete, unable to fathom future developments based on the experimental or high-end tech of the day, the Blu-Ray seems endlessly of value. Much like the tape reels of the 60s.
The BluRay is going away for one very specific reason: mechanical. By 2016 the flash memory chips for 50gb will probably be so everyday and cheap that bulky, mechanical BluRay will seem awkward. By 2019 I'd bet you can store several times more than a BluRay on medium-priced thumb-drive.
Proof? Look back 6 years when a 1gb thumb-drive was a huge chunk of cash. Look back 10 years when a 512MB thumb-drive was almost prohibitive to buy. The future is non-mechanical.
I understand where you are coming from. With your feet planted in set in concrete, unable to fathom future developments based on the experimental or high-end tech of the day, the Blu-Ray seems endlessly of value. Much like the tape reels of the 60s.
The BluRay is going away for one very specific reason: mechanical. By 2016 the flash memory chips for 50gb will probably be so everyday and cheap that bulky, mechanical BluRay will seem awkward. By 2019 I'd bet you can store several times more than a BluRay on medium-priced thumb-drive.
Proof? Look back 6 years when a 1gb thumb-drive was a huge chunk of cash. Look back 10 years when a 512MB thumb-drive was almost prohibitive to buy. The future is non-mechanical.
AppleDroid
Apr 14, 12:34 PM
I think my next computer will be an Ivy Bridge MBA with Thunderbolt. My 2007 Macbook is getting a bit long in tooth.
Sounds like me as well! My 2009 15in MBP is still doing fine but I would love an ultra-portable that has the option for a fast external solution.
Sounds like me as well! My 2009 15in MBP is still doing fine but I would love an ultra-portable that has the option for a fast external solution.
revfife
Sep 12, 02:33 PM
The headphones look different on the specs page, new earbuds mayhaps?
Yeah, Steve said something about a new design on the standard Apple headphones
Yeah, Steve said something about a new design on the standard Apple headphones
Manic Mouse
Sep 12, 07:08 AM
BTW, What is with all the Anti Mini Mac Pro hostility??? "I'm sorry, you can't have a Quad 2.67 Ghz CPU and a top of the line graphics card. I'm sure a Mac Mini will more than fulfil your needs, with its Dual 1.86 Ghz Yonah processor and Integrated Graphics. As long as you de-emphasize on productivity, you should find a Mac Mini is plenty fast enough. After all, Apple is perfect, and anything they don't offer should be wanted by you."
Indeed. It's as if there's something wrong with asking for something you want. How dare we suggest the Apple lineup isn't perfect!
Indeed. It's as if there's something wrong with asking for something you want. How dare we suggest the Apple lineup isn't perfect!
MacFan782040
Sep 5, 02:58 PM
iTunes Movie Store should be rental only.
If you really love a movie, go out and buy it. This way, you have the physical copy to carry around with you where ever you want to watch it (living room, friend's house, car, ect)
I think the notion that Apple is trying to get is like this senerio:
Somebody who is bored on a Friday night with nothing better to do, who does not feel like driving out to the local video rental store. Howabout being able to download it on your computer for $4.99 for a 5 day rental.
I would probably pay that. Apple figures if you want decent quality, hook your Mac Mini up to your HDTV and play it off there. If not, just watch it on your Mac.
If you copy it to an iPod, the movie will expire in 5 days as well. Or, it will expire next time you connect your iPod to iTunes. (people HAVE to do that!)
We'll probably see Front Row 2.0 as well.
Just some thoughts....
If you really love a movie, go out and buy it. This way, you have the physical copy to carry around with you where ever you want to watch it (living room, friend's house, car, ect)
I think the notion that Apple is trying to get is like this senerio:
Somebody who is bored on a Friday night with nothing better to do, who does not feel like driving out to the local video rental store. Howabout being able to download it on your computer for $4.99 for a 5 day rental.
I would probably pay that. Apple figures if you want decent quality, hook your Mac Mini up to your HDTV and play it off there. If not, just watch it on your Mac.
If you copy it to an iPod, the movie will expire in 5 days as well. Or, it will expire next time you connect your iPod to iTunes. (people HAVE to do that!)
We'll probably see Front Row 2.0 as well.
Just some thoughts....
Mafamaticks
Mar 29, 11:34 AM
Windows phone may (and I'm being generous) top iPhone only due to the foundation that Nokia laid for them. I don't know about the quality of the Nokia hardware overseas, but it must be decent for Symbian to hold a nice chunk of market share for so long.
Windows and Nokia better put their heads together to come up with some software though. Last I read about Windows Phone 7 was that they didn't include copy and paste, essentially trying to mimic iPhone features.
Windows and Nokia better put their heads together to come up with some software though. Last I read about Windows Phone 7 was that they didn't include copy and paste, essentially trying to mimic iPhone features.
Jvhowube
Aug 31, 02:11 PM
all I care about is getting my MB/P with Merom inside of it. I'm starting school with a POS laptop, and I need someone to tell me that I'll be ordering a new computer on the 12th. PLEASE!
justflie
Sep 12, 03:22 PM
Doh, hit the submit early, sorry for the double post
toddybody
Apr 30, 03:44 PM
SB + Mediocre GPU = meh :(
A 2560x1440 screen deserves more than some lame mobile gpu.
A 2560x1440 screen deserves more than some lame mobile gpu.
KingCrimson
Apr 22, 04:25 PM
I really hope this happens but I have a feeling that it will be hobbled in some way. If it runs from an iTunes master copy of songs then it might preclude people uploading music that has been ripped from CDs or bought somewhere else (like Amazon).
This. Or songs ripped from Youtube videos. Sorry Apple just lost my business IF it's going to be based on the iTunes-verified master copy.
This. Or songs ripped from Youtube videos. Sorry Apple just lost my business IF it's going to be based on the iTunes-verified master copy.
QCassidy352
Sep 12, 02:14 PM
all good improvements, but pretty disappointing considering that the 5G was approaching 1 year since release.
caspersoong
Apr 22, 05:06 AM
Useless to me if it is just for iTunes purchases. Please focus on more important things, Apple.
No comments:
Post a Comment