ezekielrage_99
May 1, 12:52 AM
I'm looking at getting a new iMac fingers crossed for the following:
- Bluray (I know... but it would be nice)
- Thunderbolt
- USB3
- AMD Radeon HD 67XX-68XX with up to 2GB RAM (it wont happen though :()
- Space for 2 HDD (I know, again it would be nice for two internal drives)
- i5 and i7.. Hopefully no i3 in the line up.
- Up to 24GB...
Again if I can't get an iMac with beefier video card it looks like another Alienware with Linux...
- Bluray (I know... but it would be nice)
- Thunderbolt
- USB3
- AMD Radeon HD 67XX-68XX with up to 2GB RAM (it wont happen though :()
- Space for 2 HDD (I know, again it would be nice for two internal drives)
- i5 and i7.. Hopefully no i3 in the line up.
- Up to 24GB...
Again if I can't get an iMac with beefier video card it looks like another Alienware with Linux...
macfan881
Sep 5, 05:26 PM
my predictions for the 12
Video airport express with 8021n
Aiport Basestation 8021n
6 and 10 gig nanos
23 inch imac
maybe 120 gig ipod video
Disney movies for download with all of pixar movies being availble at launch and special preorder for cars
one more thing.... new mac core 2 duo versions of both macbooks and mac mini
Video airport express with 8021n
Aiport Basestation 8021n
6 and 10 gig nanos
23 inch imac
maybe 120 gig ipod video
Disney movies for download with all of pixar movies being availble at launch and special preorder for cars
one more thing.... new mac core 2 duo versions of both macbooks and mac mini
toddybody
Mar 22, 03:27 PM
Sounds like you'd be interested in a nice Windows7 machine. Enjoy. :rolleyes:
HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! What a wonderfully poignant response. You sure showed me:)
HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! What a wonderfully poignant response. You sure showed me:)
rmhop81
Apr 22, 08:30 AM
Problems:
--Dependence on an internet connection. Deal breaker right there. Subways? Forget it.
--Buffer times
--Connection instability/loss
--Already way overstrained data networks contributing to the above
--Battery life will suffer if it's wifi
--And if it's 3G, well there's another bill in the mail every month. A recurring bill in the form of data charges to listen to my music I already paid for? No thank you. No, no, no thank you.
Since when did every device in the house need a monthly bill to go with it? AT&T provides a pretty crappy service as it is to begin with, why shuffle any more money right into their pockets?
Dependence on an internet connection and a bill in the mail are enormous deal breakers.
To the people saying "Oh, well Apple isn't taking your hard drive away", no, they aren't, but this is the first step. In 20 years hard drives will be obsolete, as everything will be cloud based, and you'll be forced into the cloud whether you want to be or not.
This service is a completely stupid idea for anyone who has an iPod with a big enough hard drive to store their stuff. I can see the appeal for those with more than 160 GB of music, but other than those people, I see literally zero benefits to be had by this, and a slew of problems/frustrations to be gained.
ever heard of the pandora app??
--Dependence on an internet connection. Deal breaker right there. Subways? Forget it.
--Buffer times
--Connection instability/loss
--Already way overstrained data networks contributing to the above
--Battery life will suffer if it's wifi
--And if it's 3G, well there's another bill in the mail every month. A recurring bill in the form of data charges to listen to my music I already paid for? No thank you. No, no, no thank you.
Since when did every device in the house need a monthly bill to go with it? AT&T provides a pretty crappy service as it is to begin with, why shuffle any more money right into their pockets?
Dependence on an internet connection and a bill in the mail are enormous deal breakers.
To the people saying "Oh, well Apple isn't taking your hard drive away", no, they aren't, but this is the first step. In 20 years hard drives will be obsolete, as everything will be cloud based, and you'll be forced into the cloud whether you want to be or not.
This service is a completely stupid idea for anyone who has an iPod with a big enough hard drive to store their stuff. I can see the appeal for those with more than 160 GB of music, but other than those people, I see literally zero benefits to be had by this, and a slew of problems/frustrations to be gained.
ever heard of the pandora app??
MattyMac
Sep 5, 06:02 PM
My nano is already on eBay awaiting a nice metal clad 8GB version, I hope they do an andonised black one though to match my other gadgets.
nice....I'm sure it will be a good time to pick up an older generation on ebay...once they are released that is. This week is the sellers market however.
nice....I'm sure it will be a good time to pick up an older generation on ebay...once they are released that is. This week is the sellers market however.

citizenzen
Apr 10, 11:17 AM
Population does count.
How?
Wouldn't a greater population create more demand for a product?
If population is such an issue, how is China able to succeed?
How?
Wouldn't a greater population create more demand for a product?
If population is such an issue, how is China able to succeed?
macsmurf
Apr 11, 04:20 AM
Want an un-encrypted copy of that iTMS rental movie? Stream it to an airplay-ripper you've downloaded off the 'net, and it'll be re-compressed in non-DRM form for you to play back whenever you wish.
Can't you just do this anyway with some other kind of ripper?
Can't you just do this anyway with some other kind of ripper?
ejb190
Oct 27, 08:42 AM
....it's a computer, what are you going to make it out of? oak leaves and wood?
Ummm...
How about this one (http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/12/russian-wooden-pc-bigger-than-a-breadbox/)
Or this one (http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/03/suissa-computers-offers-up-custom-wooden-pcs/)
:D
I have no problem with Greenpeace being at the show as long as they back up their findings with facts and conduct themselves in a civil manner. If Microsoft stepped out of line at the show, I would expect them to be kicked out of the show as well.
Ummm...
How about this one (http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/12/russian-wooden-pc-bigger-than-a-breadbox/)
Or this one (http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/03/suissa-computers-offers-up-custom-wooden-pcs/)
:D
I have no problem with Greenpeace being at the show as long as they back up their findings with facts and conduct themselves in a civil manner. If Microsoft stepped out of line at the show, I would expect them to be kicked out of the show as well.
arkitect
Mar 30, 11:25 AM
I still do not see how or why Apple should be awarded App Store™.
He will need to be a 'cunning linguist' to assist Microsoft.
Ah well someone had to go there I guess. ;)
He will need to be a 'cunning linguist' to assist Microsoft.
Ah well someone had to go there I guess. ;)
Xenious
Sep 26, 08:33 AM
What a joy killer. Launch the iphone as network independant then let carriers subsidize it if they want. Even if I was a cingular customer I sure do not want a phone locked to any one carrier. All of this because we (americans in general) only want cheap cheap subsidized phones.
The good news here is that it will likelye be GSM based (hello world).
The good news here is that it will likelye be GSM based (hello world).
Meandmunch
Apr 25, 07:08 PM
Other than shaving a few millimeters of the case, a few grams of weight what amount of change isn't incremental at this point?
lmalave
Oct 27, 10:02 AM
If, say, Steinberg didn't like the fact that girls were hanbding out Protools leaflets in the aisles near their stand do you think Protools would have been kicked out?
If they had already been forewarned and did it anyway, then yes, a company would have probably been kicked out (especially if they continued after a second warning).
Have you ever been to a tech convention? It is *not* a free-for-all where people roam around handing out fliers anywhere on the convention floor. Vendors are expected to stick to their designated booth that they paid for. Conventions make money by charging for floorspace. What kind of leverage would they have to charge for premium or larger floorspace, if vendors could just get the smallest booth possible, but then flood the convention floor with people handing out brochures? Even though Greenpeace is not a vendor and probably received their booth space pro-bono, they should still stick to the convention floor rules.
If they had already been forewarned and did it anyway, then yes, a company would have probably been kicked out (especially if they continued after a second warning).
Have you ever been to a tech convention? It is *not* a free-for-all where people roam around handing out fliers anywhere on the convention floor. Vendors are expected to stick to their designated booth that they paid for. Conventions make money by charging for floorspace. What kind of leverage would they have to charge for premium or larger floorspace, if vendors could just get the smallest booth possible, but then flood the convention floor with people handing out brochures? Even though Greenpeace is not a vendor and probably received their booth space pro-bono, they should still stick to the convention floor rules.
Bern
Sep 13, 07:19 AM
The Nano and Shuffles are great updates but the iPod is nothing worth me buying over my current 5th Gen iPod. I can't see myself playing lame games, 60% brighter doesn't mean too much and the "new" software could have been supplied as a free update to current 5G models.
I think I'll hang out for the genuine iPod update next year before I consider updating my 6 month old 5G one.
I think I'll hang out for the genuine iPod update next year before I consider updating my 6 month old 5G one.
AidenShaw
Mar 29, 02:42 PM
I think he is. Too bad IDC isn't one of them.
Why, because IDC isn't like David Pogue and Walter Mossberg - simply republishing Apple's latest PR dementia?
Why, because IDC isn't like David Pogue and Walter Mossberg - simply republishing Apple's latest PR dementia?
aloshka
Mar 29, 01:01 PM
I think he was referring to the older versions of Office that had weird MDI interfaces for Word and Excel, so that it only displayed one document at a time, unless you explicitly forced two separate instances of the application to run at the same time.
Actually there is still annoyances with that. While you can run two instances of Excel they still use a weird MDI interface if you are just double clicking to open files. A nightmare if you have dual monitors, and still not fixed in Office 2010.
Actually there is still annoyances with that. While you can run two instances of Excel they still use a weird MDI interface if you are just double clicking to open files. A nightmare if you have dual monitors, and still not fixed in Office 2010.
rockthecasbah
Sep 13, 05:35 AM
Does anyone know how to get into the quick search on the 5G iPods? I updated mine with the 1.2 software but I only see the quick scrolling letter thing.
aegisdesign
Sep 10, 05:09 PM
And that's one of the reasons I don't like all in ones, I dont like throwing away display no matter what the size. My last CRT lasted me about 6 years and I had an old apple 14" monitor that was still working after 10 years! Now that's getting value out of your components! :D
Do you really want to use a monitor from 10 years ago in everyday use? Not likely. I've a 15" CRT from about a decade ago too but it's sitting on a shelf as a spare in case my newer monitor dies.
Most times I've bought a new computer, I've also bought a new monitor. A widescreen 17" monitor back when I bought my iMac was extortionately expensive. I generally figure on spending about �15-1800 every three years on a computer and about 5-6 years of useful life. It's been going up from a G3 iBook to a 17" G5 Mac to a fully kitted out 24" iMac for that money. I can't imagine what it will be in 3 - 6 years time but I guess it'll make a 24" iMac feel just as obsolete as the 500Mhz G3 iBook with a 1024x768 screen feels.
I have to conclude that people who want to use their 10 year old CRT are just incredibly cheap and don't value their screens as much as being able to claim how fast their CPU is. I've been programming for 20+ years professionally and your screen isn't something to skimp on. It's THE most important thing if you value your eyes.
Do you really want to use a monitor from 10 years ago in everyday use? Not likely. I've a 15" CRT from about a decade ago too but it's sitting on a shelf as a spare in case my newer monitor dies.
Most times I've bought a new computer, I've also bought a new monitor. A widescreen 17" monitor back when I bought my iMac was extortionately expensive. I generally figure on spending about �15-1800 every three years on a computer and about 5-6 years of useful life. It's been going up from a G3 iBook to a 17" G5 Mac to a fully kitted out 24" iMac for that money. I can't imagine what it will be in 3 - 6 years time but I guess it'll make a 24" iMac feel just as obsolete as the 500Mhz G3 iBook with a 1024x768 screen feels.
I have to conclude that people who want to use their 10 year old CRT are just incredibly cheap and don't value their screens as much as being able to claim how fast their CPU is. I've been programming for 20+ years professionally and your screen isn't something to skimp on. It's THE most important thing if you value your eyes.
Doctor Q
Oct 12, 01:07 PM
I'm considering canceling an iPod order I placed yesterday and switching it to the red one. Not that I'd know the difference.
ten-oak-druid
Mar 29, 03:29 PM
LOL - that is ridiculous.
I think they meant that the number of windows phone viruses will top the number of iphone viruses.
I think they meant that the number of windows phone viruses will top the number of iphone viruses.
cube
Apr 22, 07:10 PM
- Thunderbolt is not replacing USBs, it's a supplement to DisplayPort (and can connect to both display and peripherals simultaneously)
Thunderbolt is not a supplement to DisplayPort. It is a downgrade to DisplayPort.
Thunderbolt is not a supplement to DisplayPort. It is a downgrade to DisplayPort.
tCruzin4lyfe
Apr 19, 08:48 AM
I don't see why everybody mad at Apple, Samsung's products do look like iPhone, iPad rip-offs. They look very identical so I can understand why Apple is doing it. Force these other companies to be more creative. I don't know how many times I've seen my friends walk around with other devices such as these and the question they get asked the most is "is that an iPhone?", "can I see it?".
technicolor
Sep 4, 03:14 PM
All I know is, I will be buying whatever it is they have for sale.
I want one of each:D
I want one of each:D
Manic Mouse
Jul 18, 04:16 AM
I think this is all the more reason why they'll go with an Allendale, it's not as high of a performace chip but it does exceed the performace of the Meroms. It's a desktop chip, designed for lower end desktops, not a mobile chip without as much power.
Why wouldn't they just use Conroe? It's not like the chips are expensive, they have the same thermal output and a bigger L2 cache. I'm expecting a 2.4Ghz 17' and a 2.66Ghz 20'. Which would work out cheaper than using 2.16Ghz and 2.33Ghz Meroms.
Why wouldn't they just use Conroe? It's not like the chips are expensive, they have the same thermal output and a bigger L2 cache. I'm expecting a 2.4Ghz 17' and a 2.66Ghz 20'. Which would work out cheaper than using 2.16Ghz and 2.33Ghz Meroms.
munkery
Mar 19, 04:35 PM
A few examples: Look up Leap-A and Inqtana-A on OSX (very real OSX worms), MusMinim-A (recent trojan).
Leap-a required authentication to infect and spread via iChat given that iChat is owned by System but is only run with user privileges. It did NOT achieve privilege escalation via exploitation.
Inqtana-a was a proof of concept that could only modify the user level of the system because didn't achieve privilege escalation via exploitation. Malware can NOT install rootkits or keyloggers that can hook into apps owned by System (such as Safari, Mail, & etc) with only user level access.
MusMinim-a is also a beta proof of concept based of a legitimate piece of software ported from Windows (http://www.darkcomet-rat.com/). It requires authentication to install given that it does NOT achieve privilege escalation via exploitation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware#Threats (List of Malware threats on Linux; why not pretend they don't even exist?)
You do realize most of those are proof-of-concepts generated through research. Most were never present in the wild and did NOT achieve privilege escalation via exploitation. Two that were in the wild are Bliss (1997 - ineffective as did not include privilege escalation) and Stoag (1996). https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Linuxvirus
It sounds good at first except for one giant pothole of a flaw. I mean why do things that are difficult to trace when you can just set up a sign on a server somewhere that says "Here's my bank account! Come and arrest me!" (i.e. the money is being redirected...follow the money trail!) :rolleyes:
You do realize that the redirection of ad revenue is one of the primary means of profit generation of what has been referred to as the most advanced Windows rootkit. BTW, some variants achieve privilege escalation via exploitation (see the second link).
http://www.brighthub.com/internet/google/articles/66090.aspx
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/16/tdl_rootkit_does_64_bit_windows/
Trojans are particularly a problem since a lot of programs ask for root password permission to be installed (including Apple software).
Untrue. Mac apps rarely ask for authentication to install if you install the app in the appropriate folder for the user account type.
Leap-a required authentication to infect and spread via iChat given that iChat is owned by System but is only run with user privileges. It did NOT achieve privilege escalation via exploitation.
Inqtana-a was a proof of concept that could only modify the user level of the system because didn't achieve privilege escalation via exploitation. Malware can NOT install rootkits or keyloggers that can hook into apps owned by System (such as Safari, Mail, & etc) with only user level access.
MusMinim-a is also a beta proof of concept based of a legitimate piece of software ported from Windows (http://www.darkcomet-rat.com/). It requires authentication to install given that it does NOT achieve privilege escalation via exploitation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware#Threats (List of Malware threats on Linux; why not pretend they don't even exist?)
You do realize most of those are proof-of-concepts generated through research. Most were never present in the wild and did NOT achieve privilege escalation via exploitation. Two that were in the wild are Bliss (1997 - ineffective as did not include privilege escalation) and Stoag (1996). https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Linuxvirus
It sounds good at first except for one giant pothole of a flaw. I mean why do things that are difficult to trace when you can just set up a sign on a server somewhere that says "Here's my bank account! Come and arrest me!" (i.e. the money is being redirected...follow the money trail!) :rolleyes:
You do realize that the redirection of ad revenue is one of the primary means of profit generation of what has been referred to as the most advanced Windows rootkit. BTW, some variants achieve privilege escalation via exploitation (see the second link).
http://www.brighthub.com/internet/google/articles/66090.aspx
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/16/tdl_rootkit_does_64_bit_windows/
Trojans are particularly a problem since a lot of programs ask for root password permission to be installed (including Apple software).
Untrue. Mac apps rarely ask for authentication to install if you install the app in the appropriate folder for the user account type.
No comments:
Post a Comment