Pravius
Apr 22, 09:45 AM
Key things said in your statement. First, believe it or not, people do spend a lot of time out, people have lives. I'm not saying you don't necessarily but, not everyone sits at home. When the time comes when its obvious physical media is actually dead, internet connectivity sure will be more reliable at that point. Its hard to say what data charges and such will be like at that point. Also, not everyone has or is able to get unlimited data so quit acting basing your arguments on that people do. Also, I'm assuming you have AT&T. In case you didn't know AT&T is already sending out messages to people with abnormally high data usage...even to people on unlimited plans saying stop it or we will change your plan to one our current higher end plans....i.e. 4GB. So until, cellular data is stable, reliable and the carriers do NOT want to gouge the customer on data....I want my local storage. One more point, physical media is one thing and local storage in terms of what we're discussing is not exactly the same thing. You're talking about CDs, blu rays and such. I'm talking about digital storage of .mp3/.aac/.mp4 and such. Not exactly the same.
Dump AT&T and get something that offers unlimited data without threats. If they change your plan I believe that is a breech in contract and you are free to look for another carrier.
Capitalism rules in our society, money in this case speaks louder than words to AT&T. Finally we have another option, Verizon.
Dump AT&T and get something that offers unlimited data without threats. If they change your plan I believe that is a breech in contract and you are free to look for another carrier.
Capitalism rules in our society, money in this case speaks louder than words to AT&T. Finally we have another option, Verizon.
munkery
Mar 3, 11:57 AM
The Android Market is not curated like the App Store for iOS.
Android users have to report if they think an App they installed is malicious. This is a reputation model for auditing apps. Some users must get burned prior to knowing it is malware.
This could still occur in the iOS app store but is less likely to occur given that Apple checks each app to make sure it uses only approved APIs.
Android users have to report if they think an App they installed is malicious. This is a reputation model for auditing apps. Some users must get burned prior to knowing it is malware.
This could still occur in the iOS app store but is less likely to occur given that Apple checks each app to make sure it uses only approved APIs.
woodman
Sep 14, 01:23 AM
Instead of having a slide-down clickwheel that reveals buttons, why not just have the clickwheel behave like those old roatary phones. You can just scroll around a circle of numbers on the screen and click to select it. That'd be cleaner. Of course text messages are a different thing :)
While I'm here, I'd just like to reiterate my belief that Apple will have it's own network and not offer its phone to other carriers (they don't want it anyway). They will lease lines like Boost or ESPN does.
Although I've been shot down on this before, I still believe it and I've even heard media mention the same thing, so I'd be willing to bet. (In fact my Jan-07 call options are a bet!).
While I'm here, I'd just like to reiterate my belief that Apple will have it's own network and not offer its phone to other carriers (they don't want it anyway). They will lease lines like Boost or ESPN does.
Although I've been shot down on this before, I still believe it and I've even heard media mention the same thing, so I'd be willing to bet. (In fact my Jan-07 call options are a bet!).
rmhop81
Apr 22, 02:55 PM
Have you ever actually watched Netflix or Hulu on a iPhone or iPad over 3G? It totally sucks - not even close to what it looks like when stored locally, especially on the iPad.
Tony
my point is that they stream from a location and aren't stored locally....
they stream fine for me.
Tony
my point is that they stream from a location and aren't stored locally....
they stream fine for me.
suzerain
Sep 5, 04:15 PM
Um, gee. I wonder if the studio with the $9.99 downloads will be Disney...
EricNau
Apr 25, 01:16 AM
It amazes me how such little things tick people off.
Indeed. ...Like someone driving the speed limit in the fast lane?
Indeed. ...Like someone driving the speed limit in the fast lane?
archurban
Sep 19, 02:26 PM
it's good to hear. somebody compare with TV shows download for first week. but I think it's not the same as movies because TV is always near you to watch anytime. but movie. you should go to buy it at shop or online store like amazon, or rental. however watching movies on HBO or other channels is not the same. so TV shows increase more than movie. 125,000 download is fairly good. of course it will be grown up very fast.
I purchased two movies so far. hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. they are more than my expectation. near DVD quality. yeah, it is. it's hardly found the difference between ITS movie and DVD. they are just like TV shows which have no commercial. I like it. Special feature? hmm. I don't need. well, someone wants. but it't not a big deal.
I hope that I will see more studios distribution on ITS from next week. then see how many movies will be added before next year.
I purchased two movies so far. hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. they are more than my expectation. near DVD quality. yeah, it is. it's hardly found the difference between ITS movie and DVD. they are just like TV shows which have no commercial. I like it. Special feature? hmm. I don't need. well, someone wants. but it't not a big deal.
I hope that I will see more studios distribution on ITS from next week. then see how many movies will be added before next year.
shelterpaw
Oct 27, 11:27 AM
I'm all for people making others take notice of environmental problems. It's a good thing. I do my share by recycling, conserving gas, and buying organic foods when possible. However, I don't agree when they step over the line and cause damage or put people in harms way. When ELF burned all those vehicles, that's going way over the line. Passing flyers outside of your booth isn't way over the line IMO, but if they broke the rules then they're subject to the consequences.
If activists do things in a mature respectable fashion, they'll get so much further than screaming in people's ear. Throwing paint on people whom wear fur coats is only going to make people hate activits. The best way is to educate and make people aware of what they're doing. Appeal to their emotions and you'll go much father.
If activists do things in a mature respectable fashion, they'll get so much further than screaming in people's ear. Throwing paint on people whom wear fur coats is only going to make people hate activits. The best way is to educate and make people aware of what they're doing. Appeal to their emotions and you'll go much father.
Prom1
Jan 1, 05:48 PM
It makes sense. iProducts are increasingly becoming ubiquitous, therefore they will become more profitable for malware developers to attack. It's not a McAfee sales pitch so much as it's stating the obvious. Same with Android.
I'm sorry but for 10 YEARS McAfee, Symantec, and other smaller players have tried to push this junk on the LARGEST distributed smartphone platform in the world - EVEN today its THE LARGEST (though dwindling VERY fast) - S60 Symbian. Although that platform has its own issues with security the amount of security holes in it is STILL minimal: address book plagiarizing, taking BT control to browse file system (which was patched by Nokia VERY quickly), and a few others.
Point being that if the OS is secure enough to begin with and patches & updates are made & distributed QUICKLY & TIMELY by Apple or Google for their respective platforms then its quite possible this is just FUD at ground roots.
Yes. Absolutely. A closed filesystem where you're only able to download anything significant through a moderated app store is going to be riddled with viruses. :rolleyes:
I do recall a particular Camera app in the AppStore that was VERY VERY popular just 3months ago that took address book information and served it out to a server! This got through your "moderated app store" with complete ease and remained available for quite a few months before being pulled (both the store and during sync as well).
I'm sorry but for 10 YEARS McAfee, Symantec, and other smaller players have tried to push this junk on the LARGEST distributed smartphone platform in the world - EVEN today its THE LARGEST (though dwindling VERY fast) - S60 Symbian. Although that platform has its own issues with security the amount of security holes in it is STILL minimal: address book plagiarizing, taking BT control to browse file system (which was patched by Nokia VERY quickly), and a few others.
Point being that if the OS is secure enough to begin with and patches & updates are made & distributed QUICKLY & TIMELY by Apple or Google for their respective platforms then its quite possible this is just FUD at ground roots.
Yes. Absolutely. A closed filesystem where you're only able to download anything significant through a moderated app store is going to be riddled with viruses. :rolleyes:
I do recall a particular Camera app in the AppStore that was VERY VERY popular just 3months ago that took address book information and served it out to a server! This got through your "moderated app store" with complete ease and remained available for quite a few months before being pulled (both the store and during sync as well).
yg17
Sep 26, 09:28 AM
No iPhone for me then. Cingular blows, we're leaving in December when our contract is up. They have to the the worst cell company in the US, both customer service and the actual cell service
kresh
Aug 29, 02:01 AM
Apple always claims that Macs are better than PCs. Dell and HP aren't making those same claims. I've never heard either company publicly dump on Apple. Apple dumps on them on TV all the time.
So Michael Dell publicly stating that Steve Jobs should close the doors and return the money to the investors is not dumping?
And which tv ad is the one where Apple is dumping on Dell or HP? I must have missed that one, I would like to see it too!
So Michael Dell publicly stating that Steve Jobs should close the doors and return the money to the investors is not dumping?
And which tv ad is the one where Apple is dumping on Dell or HP? I must have missed that one, I would like to see it too!
drumrobot
May 3, 11:05 AM
what about target display mode on the 21/24" models?
There isn't a 24" model. That was discontinued years ago.
There isn't a 24" model. That was discontinued years ago.
tatonka
Apr 20, 01:40 PM
Apparently, this is related to AT&T only and it is not based on GPS location services but rather a database of cell towers. It contains no identifiable information and is sent to AT&T for analysis for signal strength statistics.
Since it does not contain personal information and is being used to analyze the state of the AT&T network, I don't see a problem here. People who are not inside of the US are not affected by this.
So why does it track the cell tower in the UK as well then? Click 2. Video (http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/)
Since it does not contain personal information and is being used to analyze the state of the AT&T network, I don't see a problem here. People who are not inside of the US are not affected by this.
So why does it track the cell tower in the UK as well then? Click 2. Video (http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/)
berkleeboy210
Sep 5, 08:49 AM
If we see new macs when the store is up. then it will be clear that the upcoming event will be only iPod related. here's to mac updates this morning!:D
Erasmus
Sep 9, 02:27 AM
Ah, less money for 4" more screen, a ~20% faster C2D CPU, a much much faster GPU, etc? Thankyou mister Jobs! Can't wait to see what Tuesday's iPods will be like! Not that I intend to get one, or maybe I do? Who knows? And here's to some sort of Mac with Kentsfield and R600 (More likely G80 :( ) at Macworld or maybe even earlier with a bit of luck!
It's good to know that one can get a 24" screen, 2.33 Core 2 Duo goodness with the Geforce 7600 256Mb and 2 gig RAM from 5 grand with enough cash spare to buy a new Macbook. (Well at least in edu pricing)
BTW, this is a bit irrelevant, but can anyone explain to me how one gets Xgrid, and what one needs to make it work? ie. Does it cost money, or can it be downloaded from the net, and do u need a FiberChannel card to make it work? Would be cool to have a Macbook Xgridded to a 24" iMac. Preferrably Merom Macbook and Conroe iMac. But might take a while to get that :o
Never mind. : (
Need 10.4 Server apparently, and at least 3 computers to make it worthwhile, it looks like.
It's good to know that one can get a 24" screen, 2.33 Core 2 Duo goodness with the Geforce 7600 256Mb and 2 gig RAM from 5 grand with enough cash spare to buy a new Macbook. (Well at least in edu pricing)
BTW, this is a bit irrelevant, but can anyone explain to me how one gets Xgrid, and what one needs to make it work? ie. Does it cost money, or can it be downloaded from the net, and do u need a FiberChannel card to make it work? Would be cool to have a Macbook Xgridded to a 24" iMac. Preferrably Merom Macbook and Conroe iMac. But might take a while to get that :o
Never mind. : (
Need 10.4 Server apparently, and at least 3 computers to make it worthwhile, it looks like.
Porchland
Sep 26, 07:49 AM
Oh man. Verizon early termination fee, here I come.
Yeah, this is pretty exciting news. I had already planned to call Verizon this morning to see when my contract is up.
EDIT: $175 termination fee per phone and a good while to go on the contract. Yeouch! I may just have to keep my fingers crossed that Verizon Wireless gets the iPhone late next year.
Yeah, this is pretty exciting news. I had already planned to call Verizon this morning to see when my contract is up.
EDIT: $175 termination fee per phone and a good while to go on the contract. Yeouch! I may just have to keep my fingers crossed that Verizon Wireless gets the iPhone late next year.
jasper77
Sep 5, 05:50 PM
NOW you're on to something.Let's expand on that ;)
Where is the video out from the airport going to go ? The TV of course!
Now..
Why not just make a Mini type box with 802.11n with DVI/HDMI/S-Video and Digital/Analog out ports.Connect that to the tv then stream from your computer or the movie store.While we're at it toss a hefty HD in the mini for recording.
It's much more convenient too.Just sit on the couch and surf Front Row for movies then buy it and send it to the tv.POW! one step..
Apple IS about ease of use..
ease of use à la apple = buy/download a movie in the itunes movie store and stream it via airport av from your mac to a tv. or take a subscription to a tv show (like Lost or Prison Break) and let iTunes automatically download each new episode (via RSS) to your hard drive and than stream it to your tv whenever you want.
I don't think recording is the future.
Where is the video out from the airport going to go ? The TV of course!
Now..
Why not just make a Mini type box with 802.11n with DVI/HDMI/S-Video and Digital/Analog out ports.Connect that to the tv then stream from your computer or the movie store.While we're at it toss a hefty HD in the mini for recording.
It's much more convenient too.Just sit on the couch and surf Front Row for movies then buy it and send it to the tv.POW! one step..
Apple IS about ease of use..
ease of use à la apple = buy/download a movie in the itunes movie store and stream it via airport av from your mac to a tv. or take a subscription to a tv show (like Lost or Prison Break) and let iTunes automatically download each new episode (via RSS) to your hard drive and than stream it to your tv whenever you want.
I don't think recording is the future.
lilo777
Apr 19, 12:56 PM
if samsung stops providing displays to apple, it would be the best thing ever..NO MORE YELLOW TINT ISSUES!!!
Right. No screens - no tint. Great solution.
Yeah, because Samsung doesn't have a huge interest in Apple buying it's product. If you think being dropped as a vendor for Apple's consumption of 40 + million iPad screens and iPhone screens, per year, wouldn't hurt, you're delusional.
No they don't,. Apple is just 4% of their sales. Apple, on the other hand, can hardly release any hardware (with exception of battery chargers, perhaps) without Samsung components.
Right. No screens - no tint. Great solution.
Yeah, because Samsung doesn't have a huge interest in Apple buying it's product. If you think being dropped as a vendor for Apple's consumption of 40 + million iPad screens and iPhone screens, per year, wouldn't hurt, you're delusional.
No they don't,. Apple is just 4% of their sales. Apple, on the other hand, can hardly release any hardware (with exception of battery chargers, perhaps) without Samsung components.
luminosity
Sep 19, 02:18 PM
it's not just new tv downloads, but also old tv show downloads that were bumped up.
know-it-all5
Sep 12, 04:23 PM
First and foremost, though i am repeating what others have said... this is still a 5g ipod... This update was VERY minor... I say expect an iphone at macworld 06, and ipod 6g somewhere in 1st quarter of 07 (maybe macworld).
Chundles
Oct 13, 03:32 AM
I agree, this thing is not about doing something good, it's about buying a gimmick that says to everyone "I gave to charity" while in reality you were not spending one dime more than you would have spent on the gimmick that you wanted to buy anyway. What kind of shite is this where you just want to show around that you're a good person while in reality you couldn't get your thumbs out of your butt to donate anything at all, not even 10 bucks. It's called VANITY, not Charity. Write a small check for crying out loud if you want to do something, it's even deductable, and attach the receipt to your favourite shirt so everyone can see if you feel so strongly about it.
This ipod thingy is about you feeling good, not about much else. To you it feels like a 200 Dollar donation, also might help you to convince yourself to buy yet another gadget..pardon me, do some charity for africa, apple's sales go up a bit, they'll make a little less money on the ipod, 10 bucks (which may however be deductable, I don't know) but basically will benefit from it too because they sold a couple more at a slightly lower but still pretty good profit margin. Sure, some bucks go to Africa but let's be honest here: Apple makes more money, the consumer gets to wear a stylish gimmick with good-person-tag at no extra charge... now that's some serious altruism there.
Hooray to those that, the next time they will be confronted with some reporting on Aids in Africa, will be able to caress that small, hard bulge in their pocket (red iPod!), touching it and whispering "I did my share to solve the problem".
Who cares if it's vanity? I'd rather somebody buy a Red iPod and feel good about themselves, be able to brag to their friends and show off to the community than for the same person to otherwise do nothing.
As long as it's legal I'm pretty sure the folks in charge of the aid money don't care where the money's coming from. I don't think the AIDS sufferers in Africa give a rat's arse that the money that helps their problems comes from rampant western consumerism - they're just happy to have some help.
I think it's a good idea.
This ipod thingy is about you feeling good, not about much else. To you it feels like a 200 Dollar donation, also might help you to convince yourself to buy yet another gadget..pardon me, do some charity for africa, apple's sales go up a bit, they'll make a little less money on the ipod, 10 bucks (which may however be deductable, I don't know) but basically will benefit from it too because they sold a couple more at a slightly lower but still pretty good profit margin. Sure, some bucks go to Africa but let's be honest here: Apple makes more money, the consumer gets to wear a stylish gimmick with good-person-tag at no extra charge... now that's some serious altruism there.
Hooray to those that, the next time they will be confronted with some reporting on Aids in Africa, will be able to caress that small, hard bulge in their pocket (red iPod!), touching it and whispering "I did my share to solve the problem".
Who cares if it's vanity? I'd rather somebody buy a Red iPod and feel good about themselves, be able to brag to their friends and show off to the community than for the same person to otherwise do nothing.
As long as it's legal I'm pretty sure the folks in charge of the aid money don't care where the money's coming from. I don't think the AIDS sufferers in Africa give a rat's arse that the money that helps their problems comes from rampant western consumerism - they're just happy to have some help.
I think it's a good idea.
MacRumors
Apr 25, 12:50 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/25/next-macbook-pro-to-get-new-case-design/)
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/04/25/013535-mbp.jpg
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/04/25/013535-mbp.jpg
alec
Oct 27, 03:31 PM
Environment? Ha. Move to France.
Piggie
Apr 16, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I said Thunderbolt would take over the world when I said that USB and Thunderbolt were complimentary. :rolleyes: Thunderbolt for high bandwidth, USB for low bandwidth.
Yeah, super complex high speed adapters that we've seen done time and time again in an affordable manner. :rolleyes:
Glad you're done arguing. Clearly you only had two points to try and refute and it would be embarrassing for you to just leave the rest of my previous post with no replies.
I suppose it depends on practicalities and average user needs.
We know, in general, these days especially, Apple is aiming at the large non techie market. This area I cannot really see benefiting from Thunderbolt.
Myself, I love the latest spec, and would be happy to have thunderbolt.
It all depends on prices, and need for the speed. If most devices for most people don't need the speed, then I guess it won't be fitted, and it will remain a high end niche system.
For me, sure yes, let's fit it on everything. I just doubt in reality it's going to happen, and if it does remain high end only then is there much point in fitting it to mass market devices for the average joe in the street?
Yeah, super complex high speed adapters that we've seen done time and time again in an affordable manner. :rolleyes:
Glad you're done arguing. Clearly you only had two points to try and refute and it would be embarrassing for you to just leave the rest of my previous post with no replies.
I suppose it depends on practicalities and average user needs.
We know, in general, these days especially, Apple is aiming at the large non techie market. This area I cannot really see benefiting from Thunderbolt.
Myself, I love the latest spec, and would be happy to have thunderbolt.
It all depends on prices, and need for the speed. If most devices for most people don't need the speed, then I guess it won't be fitted, and it will remain a high end niche system.
For me, sure yes, let's fit it on everything. I just doubt in reality it's going to happen, and if it does remain high end only then is there much point in fitting it to mass market devices for the average joe in the street?
No comments:
Post a Comment