MacLawyer
Apr 4, 12:14 PM
Mac...a computer to die for.
Kedest
Apr 25, 02:43 PM
I just wonder what this will mean for storage space (SSD is expensive!) and for discrete graphics. The refresh can't be as thin as the Air itself if they want to keep room for a graphics chip.
janstett
Apr 11, 11:15 AM
This is great news, I've been waiting for something like that for ages.
For all those people that fail to see how it could be useful, consider the following scenarios:
I got my Mac connected to some great speakers.
Now, a friend comes by for a visit, brings along his laptop and we want to hear some music from his iTunes --> messy cables, my friend standing with his laptop by the amplifier because that cable is short (�)
Another friend comes over. We want to listen to music from his/her iPod/iPhone/iPad --> messy cables.
My beloved speakers are self-amplified and connected directly to my mac or say, an external sound card --> even more complicated!
Same friends, different room - let's say a living room with a HTPC --> More cables.
All this could be accomplished with a few airport express units across the house which is somehow a luxury option money-wise and somehow redundant since I already have a wireless router and at least one computer up and running. Also, it would probably create more of a mess with the aforementioned setup (I would need a multiple input amplifier for my living room or an extra mixer for self-amplified speakers). Don't get me wrong, I think AX is a great device and I'll probably get one someday, but it sounds absurd that one device cannot stream audio to a computer.
And for those suggesting third-party software, this sounds great if I were the only using them. I cannot imagine telling my friends "hey, buy this $40 software so we can stream music to each other's computer". I'm not sure I could even convince them to install free software to mess with their audio setup. iOS users are ruled out of course.
For those suggesting iTunes home sharing: this is for personal use. I don't want to share my id/pass with anyone, and no one wants to share it with me.
I have an example, too.
I do have Airport Expresses and ATV2s around my house and often use it to play music throughout the house, especially during holidays and parties.
Problem is in my den, I have several computers and a good 5.1 surround system, but no Airport Express. It sure would be nice to pipe sound into there too.
For all those people that fail to see how it could be useful, consider the following scenarios:
I got my Mac connected to some great speakers.
Now, a friend comes by for a visit, brings along his laptop and we want to hear some music from his iTunes --> messy cables, my friend standing with his laptop by the amplifier because that cable is short (�)
Another friend comes over. We want to listen to music from his/her iPod/iPhone/iPad --> messy cables.
My beloved speakers are self-amplified and connected directly to my mac or say, an external sound card --> even more complicated!
Same friends, different room - let's say a living room with a HTPC --> More cables.
All this could be accomplished with a few airport express units across the house which is somehow a luxury option money-wise and somehow redundant since I already have a wireless router and at least one computer up and running. Also, it would probably create more of a mess with the aforementioned setup (I would need a multiple input amplifier for my living room or an extra mixer for self-amplified speakers). Don't get me wrong, I think AX is a great device and I'll probably get one someday, but it sounds absurd that one device cannot stream audio to a computer.
And for those suggesting third-party software, this sounds great if I were the only using them. I cannot imagine telling my friends "hey, buy this $40 software so we can stream music to each other's computer". I'm not sure I could even convince them to install free software to mess with their audio setup. iOS users are ruled out of course.
For those suggesting iTunes home sharing: this is for personal use. I don't want to share my id/pass with anyone, and no one wants to share it with me.
I have an example, too.
I do have Airport Expresses and ATV2s around my house and often use it to play music throughout the house, especially during holidays and parties.
Problem is in my den, I have several computers and a good 5.1 surround system, but no Airport Express. It sure would be nice to pipe sound into there too.
appleguy
Sep 4, 09:48 PM
who knows they might release a mini mac style media centre with OSX that will be used to download the movies and allow you to burn it straight to DVD/Blueray lol :cool:
jholzner
Aug 28, 01:21 PM
Every time i read a post like this i cringe a little!
There are so many rumors about a new ipod coming in the next few weeks/months/etc, most likely announced at Paris (maybe).
Therefor if apple were to release a new ipod they would want to try and get rid of some older models! Thus i conclude that even if the new MBPs are announced or even shipping tomorrow then more people would buy one with the ipod offer... ...getting rid of sed older models!
So why would they wait til after the promotion?
Apple dont needhelp shifting notebooks but if they announce a new ipod you would bet that not many people would want the original ipod video over a new improved one!?
I see people still talking about big announcements at the Paris expo. Considering there will be NO keynote of any kind I find it unlikely.
There are so many rumors about a new ipod coming in the next few weeks/months/etc, most likely announced at Paris (maybe).
Therefor if apple were to release a new ipod they would want to try and get rid of some older models! Thus i conclude that even if the new MBPs are announced or even shipping tomorrow then more people would buy one with the ipod offer... ...getting rid of sed older models!
So why would they wait til after the promotion?
Apple dont needhelp shifting notebooks but if they announce a new ipod you would bet that not many people would want the original ipod video over a new improved one!?
I see people still talking about big announcements at the Paris expo. Considering there will be NO keynote of any kind I find it unlikely.
res1233
Mar 29, 03:06 PM
Woohooo!
Awesome to see Android on the top with Windows. It's about time opensource started taking off. Enough of this Apple closed source junk.
UHM... iOS is far more open-source than windows is. Nice try... Android might be more open-source though, I'm not sure.
Awesome to see Android on the top with Windows. It's about time opensource started taking off. Enough of this Apple closed source junk.
UHM... iOS is far more open-source than windows is. Nice try... Android might be more open-source though, I'm not sure.
braddouglass
Apr 19, 12:57 PM
Yep, he's the only iPhone user in the world who wants a better notication system, and a built in radio so he doesnt have to stream it over the internet. :rolleyes:
+1 on the notifications
Who would want to have a s*itty radio tuner on their iphone? that's why I download music So I can listen to the music I want at good quality. with no commercials? And you can multi task any ways so what the big deal of streaming music? at least streaming is the genre you like haha
+1 on the notifications
Who would want to have a s*itty radio tuner on their iphone? that's why I download music So I can listen to the music I want at good quality. with no commercials? And you can multi task any ways so what the big deal of streaming music? at least streaming is the genre you like haha

MattInOz
Jan 3, 12:20 AM
Maybe you can say that with OS X and and even Windows, but IOS is different in that the user can't run anything that isn't built in or doesn't come from the app store. That's what Android fans call "closed" or a "walled garden." It makes IOS even more secure than the Mac OS.
Like I said before, there is no reason to think that targeting IOS will be even half as successful as the dramatically unsuccessful attacks on OS X over the last decade, no matter what Antivirus vendors would like you to think.
Ummm.... Didn't most of the early iOS jail breaking methods target holes in OS. Sure more grey hat than black hat but risk is there to be aware of regardless of platform.
Like I said before, there is no reason to think that targeting IOS will be even half as successful as the dramatically unsuccessful attacks on OS X over the last decade, no matter what Antivirus vendors would like you to think.
Ummm.... Didn't most of the early iOS jail breaking methods target holes in OS. Sure more grey hat than black hat but risk is there to be aware of regardless of platform.
Warbrain
Sep 26, 09:00 AM
I admit they do indeed do these things... or have done these things in the past. But the situation that I spoke of was last week, also every time I have called them they have worked with everything and entered things just right so that if I wanted to change my plan it would not be prorated at all.
Christopher
I suppose everyone's experience is different. I've never had problems with Cingular and have never been with any other company because of that. They've always cooperated with me and have handled the problems accordingly.
Christopher
I suppose everyone's experience is different. I've never had problems with Cingular and have never been with any other company because of that. They've always cooperated with me and have handled the problems accordingly.
ezekielrage_99
Oct 12, 09:29 PM
I wont buy one because Bono the big hypocrit and Oprah the Evil Overload of the Airwaves are endorsing them........
It kind of takes the "cool" factor out of having a red one.
It kind of takes the "cool" factor out of having a red one.
~Shard~
Sep 3, 12:45 AM
A news report suggested that the back-to-school rush has been the reason for the macbook specific shortages. Indications are the macbook won't be updated with Core 2 Duo until a later time, but could be as early as the end of September. I would guess we won't see C2D macbooks this month at least though. MBP's on the other had will hopefully, and should be shipping within the next 2 to 3 weeks.
Yeah, this is definitely another possibility to consider - the MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not necessarily going to be updated with Merom simultaneously. Perhaps only the MBPs will be updated for now, with the MacBooks following a few weeks later.
As many others have said, only time will tell - luckily it's a relatively short period of time. ;) :cool:
Yeah, this is definitely another possibility to consider - the MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not necessarily going to be updated with Merom simultaneously. Perhaps only the MBPs will be updated for now, with the MacBooks following a few weeks later.
As many others have said, only time will tell - luckily it's a relatively short period of time. ;) :cool:
TrollToddington
Apr 23, 01:58 PM
As far as you're concerned maybe, but as far as what's common or not, you're out of it. There's a reason every laptop out there has some kind of external display connector.
But silly me, I must be a moron for using the mini display port right ? :rolleyes:
You're doing it wrong. I plug in 4 cables. Power, Monitor, Speakers, USB. My keyboard/mouse/tablet/Printer/iPhone/iPod all get recognized instantly. That's what the USB hub on my desk is for. 1 cable, all devices.
If Apple had docks, it would be even better. Just drop the laptop in place and voila. But I guess docks just aren't esthetic enough.
There is nothing uncommon about it, so again, thank you for calling me stupid because I dare use a MBA as my only computer and I dare launch games on it, while connected to an external monitor of all things!
Keep your insults for yourself next time.
I kindly ask you to not put words in my mouth I've never written. I've never called you 'moron' or 'stupid' or using foul language about you. 'Keep your insults for yourself next time' is not a very kind thing to say, and I am actually wondering whether I should report you to the moderator.
But silly me, I must be a moron for using the mini display port right ? :rolleyes:
You're doing it wrong. I plug in 4 cables. Power, Monitor, Speakers, USB. My keyboard/mouse/tablet/Printer/iPhone/iPod all get recognized instantly. That's what the USB hub on my desk is for. 1 cable, all devices.
If Apple had docks, it would be even better. Just drop the laptop in place and voila. But I guess docks just aren't esthetic enough.
There is nothing uncommon about it, so again, thank you for calling me stupid because I dare use a MBA as my only computer and I dare launch games on it, while connected to an external monitor of all things!
Keep your insults for yourself next time.
I kindly ask you to not put words in my mouth I've never written. I've never called you 'moron' or 'stupid' or using foul language about you. 'Keep your insults for yourself next time' is not a very kind thing to say, and I am actually wondering whether I should report you to the moderator.
davede70
Sep 11, 09:32 PM
Could the combo of the update on the airport extreme and the update to the video ipod = a way to wirelessly update your ipod?
cvaldes
Mar 22, 04:25 PM
There's pretty much no news in this news piece.
We know it's going to include Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt. We know it's unlikely to be re-designed and we know it's going to be between now and May.
Where's the news here?
We need specs. Some CPU and other info, at least.
You'll find out when the rest of us find out: when Apple posts the specs to the new hardware at www.apple.com.
Don't forget: this is MacRumors.com, not MacNews.com.
And if you are looking for specs from unannounced products from Apple, you are going to quickly get used to being disappointed.
We know it's going to include Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt. We know it's unlikely to be re-designed and we know it's going to be between now and May.
Where's the news here?
We need specs. Some CPU and other info, at least.
You'll find out when the rest of us find out: when Apple posts the specs to the new hardware at www.apple.com.
Don't forget: this is MacRumors.com, not MacNews.com.
And if you are looking for specs from unannounced products from Apple, you are going to quickly get used to being disappointed.
DVK916
Sep 17, 08:23 PM
ok.. see, i never said TECHNICALLY it was crap. OK, so CDMA can have higher speed than 3G GSM. ITS A MOBILE PHONE. what the hell do you need 14mbps for?
a jet car that goes 300mph on a drag strip is NOT better than a Audi/Merc/BMW/Bentley/etc that only does 250mph, but can drive on a normal road.
for consumers, it (CDMA) is crap. you are so used to having to choose a phone based on what your carrier supports (or vice-versa) that you can't see how that is a problem. GSM (which uses a SIM card) offers so much more flexibility. hell. I can take my phone to any country with a GSM network, put in a sim card, and VOILA i am connected (not that i need to worry anyway, with vodafone global roaming)
WRONG GSM does NOT work in Japan. You can't go to any country and use it. Japan doesn't have GSM.
a jet car that goes 300mph on a drag strip is NOT better than a Audi/Merc/BMW/Bentley/etc that only does 250mph, but can drive on a normal road.
for consumers, it (CDMA) is crap. you are so used to having to choose a phone based on what your carrier supports (or vice-versa) that you can't see how that is a problem. GSM (which uses a SIM card) offers so much more flexibility. hell. I can take my phone to any country with a GSM network, put in a sim card, and VOILA i am connected (not that i need to worry anyway, with vodafone global roaming)
WRONG GSM does NOT work in Japan. You can't go to any country and use it. Japan doesn't have GSM.
iStudentUK
Apr 19, 07:15 AM
So what? They're already getting sued by Apple, so what's another lawsuit? Point is, contract breach or not, Samsung could cripple Apple's whole ecosystem within days by halting all processor shipments.
Big businesses aren't usually personal. Law suits happen, it shouldn't mean it turns into fisty-cuffs!
(Breach of contract isn't simple, if Samsung did pull out and cripple Apple they could be made to pay damages to cover for that as it is foreseeable. It is obviously much more complex than that, but you get the point.)
Big businesses aren't usually personal. Law suits happen, it shouldn't mean it turns into fisty-cuffs!
(Breach of contract isn't simple, if Samsung did pull out and cripple Apple they could be made to pay damages to cover for that as it is foreseeable. It is obviously much more complex than that, but you get the point.)
MikeDTyke
Sep 1, 06:50 AM
Wasn't a silent upgrade. Apple bollocksed up the order.
You know this for certain????
Last year Apple did the exact same thing sneaking out faster G4's with more vram in the Mac mini line.
Everyone and their pet rumor site is expecting upgrades. We weren't expecting across the board superdrives. I now am.
Personally i'd trade that superdrive for GMA965 with x3000 graphics, but thats about as likely before MWSF07 as a bullet proof string vest.
M.
You know this for certain????
Last year Apple did the exact same thing sneaking out faster G4's with more vram in the Mac mini line.
Everyone and their pet rumor site is expecting upgrades. We weren't expecting across the board superdrives. I now am.
Personally i'd trade that superdrive for GMA965 with x3000 graphics, but thats about as likely before MWSF07 as a bullet proof string vest.
M.
HiRez
Sep 19, 04:20 PM
Are iTS movies letterboxed? If so, then the quality of iTS movies is closer to 640x360.As I understand, yes, this is the case. They maintain the width at 640 and crop vertically for the aspect.
morespce54
May 4, 10:03 AM
Software options are an epic fail more expensive than Apple's own Mac app store:eek:
That's because you got the physical DVDs included.
Anyway, I'm not getting these Rev A... Kidding! ;)
That's because you got the physical DVDs included.
Anyway, I'm not getting these Rev A... Kidding! ;)
Stridder44
Apr 25, 01:30 PM
I can't wait. I liked the materials and certain aspects of the current generation, but overall it never really did it for me. I'm excited to see what they'll do next.
timmillwood
Sep 10, 10:46 AM
can they fit one of these into a MBP?
SeattleMoose
May 3, 07:48 PM
Talk about "bleeding edge"....lots of complaints about video adapters not working on the Apple forums and almost nobody makes a monitor/TV with Thunderbolt I/O....yet.
Maybe there is a "tsunami" of thunderbolt devices coming....but right now the cupboard is pretty bare.
I'll wait until the "guests show up to Apple's Thunderbolt Party".....before showing up with my $$$.
Maybe there is a "tsunami" of thunderbolt devices coming....but right now the cupboard is pretty bare.
I'll wait until the "guests show up to Apple's Thunderbolt Party".....before showing up with my $$$.
Rocketman
Oct 12, 03:06 PM
I just think we should give it a cute subculture name:
The candycane nano.
That way when it catches on and becomes a fad, the TV reporters have to say it all started on Macrumors.com.
I wonder if that would stick in Steve's craw, since he tickles the rumour sites, or make him laugh all the way to the bank?
Rocketman
The candycane nano.
That way when it catches on and becomes a fad, the TV reporters have to say it all started on Macrumors.com.
I wonder if that would stick in Steve's craw, since he tickles the rumour sites, or make him laugh all the way to the bank?
Rocketman
JRM PowerPod
Sep 9, 09:03 AM
Now that they are 64bit all i need to do is find two 8 exactabyte DDR2 dimms and i'll be sweet
No comments:
Post a Comment